PDA

View Full Version : Where will the Obama girls go to school?

danberkeley
11-07-2008, 04:06 PM
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/sfgate/detail?blogid=46&entry_id=32415

Where will the Obama girls go to school?

Chelsea Clinton went to Sidwell Friends, a private Quaker school. So did Archibald Roosevelt and Tricia and Julie Nixon. And Joe Biden's granddaughters are at the school right now. Will Michelle and Barack send their daughters Malia and Sasha there as well once they get settled in the White House?

According to an article in yesterday's Washington Post, many Washingtonians expect them to seriously consider Sidwell as well as other fancy privates such as Georgetown Day School, Maret, and National Cathedral School (Al Gore's girls went here). After all, Sasha and Malia are currently attending the private University of Chicago Laboratory Schools.

But what about public school?

Barack certainly talked about improving public education in his campaign speeches. According to the District of Columbia Public Schools boundary map, a family living at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue would be assigned to the Francis-Stevens Educational Center, a K-8 in Foggy Bottom. That's only a mile from the White House front steps. And there's precedent: Jimmy Carter's daughter, Amy, went to Stevens Elementary School before it merged with Francis Middle School to become a K-8.

But D.C. has an out-of-boundary lottery system that allows parents to consider schools not in their neighborhood. Ladeidre Bridgewater, who works in the school district's communications department, says the Obamas might consider Oyster-Adams Bilingual School or Murch, which are two well-regarded public schools. "It would be up to the mother to pick the school that she thought her children would most benefit from," Bridgewater says. "I hope that the chancellor wouldn't make them go through the lottery system to get into the school of their choice."

Do you think the Obamas should send Sasha and Malia to a public school? Or should they go to the school that's the best fit for their girls? Are the Obamas being hypocritical if they opt for private?

Posted By: Amy Graff (Email) | November 07 2008 at 07:06 AM

Dont forget to read the comments section. Here are some quotes:

We shouldn't expect the Obamas to send their daughters to public school merely on principle. I'm sure they'll make a decision based on best fit for their family's needs, as they and every other citizen should.

If the Obamas were to send their daughters to public school simply to avoid appearing "hypocritical," I would think much, much less of them.

Truth Warrior
11-07-2008, 04:14 PM
Wherever the Secret Service recommends.<IMHO>

pacelli
11-07-2008, 04:37 PM
Who gives a shit?

danberkeley
11-07-2008, 04:43 PM
Who gives a shit?

He does ---> :bunchies:

tonesforjonesbones
11-07-2008, 04:45 PM
I wonder if the Komrades daughters will be subject to the mandatory community service (work camps)? Tones

fr33domfightr
11-07-2008, 05:00 PM
A private school.

FF

:bunchies:

Sorry, I had to do that.

Time for Change
11-07-2008, 05:16 PM
OH NO they can't go to those poor public schools that are just fine for indictrinating the rest of the population.
They must attend an elitist school for the uber wealthy...on our dime.

The Machine
11-07-2008, 05:19 PM
Who gives a shit?

10-4...next topic please!

yongrel
11-07-2008, 05:47 PM
He's not Matt Santos. He won't put his kids in public school. Not a chance.

tangent4ronpaul
11-07-2008, 06:28 PM
Oh - I thought this thread was about the bimbo...

http://obamagirl.com/images/morfeoshow/obama_girl-4296/big/obamagirl220.png

http://obamagirl.com/