PDA

View Full Version : When High Schoolers Vote...

A. Havnes
11-07-2008, 09:52 AM
My mom is the head cook at the high school I attended, and she said that the day after the election a girl came running into the kitchen saying, "Obama won!"

Now, two of her employees are Obamaniacs, and they asked her, "Why did you vote for Obama?"

The girl replied, "I wouldn't have voted for him, but he listens to the same kind of music as me!"

When she told me this, I just hung my head. I've heard of superficial reasons for voting for, or not voting for, somebody, but this one takes the cake.

Truth Warrior
11-07-2008, 10:10 AM
My mom is the head cook at the high school I attended, and she said that the day after the election a girl came running into the kitchen saying, "Obama won!"

Now, two of her employees are Obamaniacs, and they asked her, "Why did you vote for Obama?"

The girl replied, "I wouldn't have voted for him, but he listens to the same kind of music as me!"

When she told me this, I just hung my head. I've heard of superficial reasons for voting for, or not voting for, somebody, but this one takes the cake. There's a very long sad and sorry list of those very kinds of rationalizations, and WORSE.

Cheer up! Her vote ONLY counts just EXACTLY the same as your's. ;) :D End result this year a Kenyan POTUS. :p :rolleyes:

coyote_sprit
11-07-2008, 10:12 AM
This isn't an insult to anyone but.....

"Georgia Public Schools, because someone has to make the cars." -Dan Halen, Squidbillies

But anyway most school kids are that naive and shallow now. Thomas Jefferson would face palm if he had heard that.

lasenorita
11-07-2008, 10:31 AM
"...he listens to the same kind of music as me!"

You mean like this playlist (http://anonym.to/http://www.imeem.com/presidentialplaylists/playlist/11gKs40K/obamas_favorite_top_10_songs_music_playlist/)? :)

priest_of_syrinx
11-07-2008, 10:40 AM
This isn't an insult to anyone but.....

"Georgia Public Schools, because someone has to make the cars." -Dan Halen, Squidbillies

But anyway most school kids are that naive and shallow now. Thomas Jefferson would face palm if he had heard that.

I think he'd just get back in his time machine to get away from the stupid people.

Wendi
11-07-2008, 10:45 AM
If the founding fathers had a time machine before they signed the declaration of independence, I wonder if they even would have bothered...

justinc.1089
11-07-2008, 10:54 AM
If the founding fathers had a time machine before they signed the declaration of independence, I wonder if they even would have bothered...

I seriously doubt it, I often wonder why I and all you fellow patriots still bother.....

micahnelson
11-07-2008, 11:00 AM

Well, posterity, you will never know what it cost us to preserve your freedom. I only hope that you will make a good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in heaven that I ever took half the pains to preserve it.
~John Adams

dannno
11-07-2008, 11:27 AM
Wow, he even listens to NWO hiphop (Kanye)

The Fugees are pretty sweet, though, you have to admit..

heavenlyboy34
11-07-2008, 12:32 PM
The Fugees are pretty sweet, though, you have to admit..

I don't have to admit nothin! ;)

heavenlyboy34
11-07-2008, 12:34 PM
Well, posterity, you will never know what it cost us to preserve your freedom. I only hope that you will make a good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in heaven that I ever took half the pains to preserve it.
~John Adams

These kind of quotes always make me feel sad about how badly recent generations have squandered freedom. :(

fr33domfightr
11-07-2008, 12:42 PM
We need to learn from history. Does this tell us we need to increase the voting age? If I had to guess, I'd say it was reduced at the Democrat's suggestion, prior to the time young kids ever start working and paying taxes.

FF

SeanEdwards
11-07-2008, 01:02 PM
This is hardly surprising, it's an entirely predictable effect of our exclusionary political system. When the voters are presented a "choice" between two politicians with virtually identical policy positions, what basis do they have to make a decision? They might as well choose based on skin color, or ipod playlist, or whatever other shallow difference they can discern.

dannno
11-07-2008, 01:09 PM
We need to learn from history. Does this tell us we need to increase the voting age? If I had to guess, I'd say it was reduced at the Democrat's suggestion, prior to the time young kids ever start working and paying taxes.

FF

Nah, 18 is good. There are a few in high school still, but the majority are out of high school and working. Not to mention, older people had much dumber reasons for voting for the two establishment candidates. This reason was one of the best I'd heard for voting for Obama.

SeanEdwards
11-07-2008, 01:21 PM
Only military veterans should be allowed to vote.

;)

dr. hfn
11-07-2008, 06:13 PM
tell her she is an ignorant idiot, you have to

A. Havnes
11-07-2008, 06:25 PM

FF

I'm not sure how good that'll do. Even older people had some pretty stupid reasons to vote Obama.

revolutionist
11-07-2008, 06:35 PM

FF

So an 18 year old can be drafted to go to war and pay taxes and be punished as an adult, but not elect the leaders that decide to go to war, decide tax policy, and make criminal laws?

I would also like to point out that a TON of Ron Paul's support came from college students. He even said in his R4R speech that he had kids younger than 18 introducing their parents to his ideas.

Bigot.

ShaneC
11-07-2008, 08:02 PM
So an 18 year old can be drafted to go to war and pay taxes and be punished as an adult, but not elect the leaders that decide to go to war, decide tax policy, and make criminal laws?

I would also like to point out that a TON of Ron Paul's support came from college students. He even said in his R4R speech that he had kids younger than 18 introducing their parents to his ideas.

Bigot.

No Taxation without Representation goes both ways.

Being that I was 14 when I started paying income tax and 17 when I went active duty, I'd say anyone whose being taxed has the right to vote.

Just IMHO of course.

The_Orlonater
11-07-2008, 08:06 PM
I have to go to school with this kids. :(

Oh, save me. The agony!

Oh, the more reason I want to secede away from these people. If they want to reelect Obama, fine. I'm going to secede and move away from thee. Enjoy your high tax bureaucracy. :mad:

revolutionist
11-08-2008, 03:11 PM
No Taxation without Representation goes both ways.

Being that I was 14 when I started paying income tax and 17 when I went active duty, I'd say anyone whose being taxed has the right to vote.

Just IMHO of course.

I agree.

Fox McCloud
11-08-2008, 03:32 PM

probably not, because Washington was reported to have said that he didn't think the whole thing would last but a few number of years; a few of the others thought the same thing.