PDA

View Full Version : Help Me Send Books To The Troops?

angelatc
11-07-2008, 08:53 AM
I have a friend who has a friend in Iraq. She is getting together a care package to send to them.

He gave her a list of items they want. Most of it is inexpensive, like rags and potato chips.

Some of it is pricey, like DVDs and PSP games.

THe last part of it almost made me cry. They desperately want books about the founding fathers, and the origins of the constitution.

Does anybody have any books like this that they've finished and could pass along?

If so, PM me and I'll give you my address. I will pay you for shipping them to me.

Pennsylvania
11-07-2008, 09:06 AM
check your PMs ;)

fr33domfightr
11-07-2008, 09:10 AM
It would be kewl to send them 100s of pocket Constitutions, and perhaps even copies of the Federalist Papers. They swear an oath to uphold the Constitution, so they need to understand it. Maybe even some of Ron Paul books would be a good education for them. And don't forget The Creature From Jekyll Island.

FF

liberteebell
11-07-2008, 09:27 AM
Bump!

TruthAtLast
11-07-2008, 09:29 AM
It would be kewl to send them 100s of pocket Constitutions, and perhaps even copies of the Federalist Papers. They swear an oath to uphold the Constitution, so they need to understand it. Maybe even some of Ron Paul books would be a good education for them. And don't forget The Creature From Jekyll Island.

FF

does the military check the care packages? do you think they would confiscate any of the books or DVDs sent?

Dorfsmith
11-07-2008, 09:34 AM
I'm a book dealer and they buy all kinds of books and DVD's and stuff from me and while the packages do get searched they always get their stuff. I've even sold copies of The Revolution: A Manifesto to soldiers in Iraq.

I'll look through some of my books and see if I can find anything to donate to the cause.

fr33domfightr
11-07-2008, 09:37 AM
does the military check the care packages? do you think they would confiscate any of the books or DVDs sent?

I actually wondered about this myself. I'm sure most straight men would also like a Hustler or Playboy. I do believe some things aren't allowed out of respect for the local religions, but this may not affect those within the Green Zone (in Iraq).

FF

TruthAtLast
11-07-2008, 09:40 AM
I actually wondered about this myself. I'm sure most straight men would also like a Hustler or Playboy. I do believe some things aren't allowed out of respect for the local religions, but this may not affect those within the Green Zone (in Iraq).

FF

we could put a Ron Paul book in a different cover. lol

TastyWheat
11-07-2008, 11:42 AM
Check half-price books. They almost always have a few paperback copies of the Federalist Papers, Common Sense, and the Constitution. They're usually less than $5 each.

dr. hfn
11-07-2008, 11:42 AM
bump!

angelatc
11-09-2008, 06:09 PM
Shameless bump!

We don't have a Half-Price books here. Again, if anybody has something they've finished reading I'll pay for you to ship it to me.

At least one person has pledged to buy a book from Amazon and have it shipped to me! That just reaffirms that I am surrounded by some truly awesome people!

revolutionary8
11-09-2008, 07:34 PM
A good place to find super cheap new and used books is www.bookfinder.com
I also compare those prices with ebay and half.com when shopping for books. :)

I'm in, and will try to find good deals. I would also like to hear some more suggestions about good books to send to angel.

RCA
11-09-2008, 08:03 PM
The best $30 you'll ever spend:

http://www.xmission.com/~nccs/us_constitution.html

revolutionary8
11-09-2008, 08:47 PM
The best $30 you'll ever spend:

http://www.xmission.com/~nccs/us_constitution.html

Your order has been processed. Your payment transaction details have been emailed to you.
:)
Thanks RCA
I was thinking of sending angel a copy (or copies if I can find a good deal) of "Foreign Policy of Freedom", do y'all think that is a good choice? I personally LOVE the book, but I am undoubtedly bias. ;)

revolutionary8
11-09-2008, 10:46 PM
B- limp?
Never.

libertarian4321
11-10-2008, 12:55 AM

FF

The Heritage Foundation was giving away up to 100 free copies of the Constitution/Dec. of Independence a while back and may still be doing so.

fr33domfightr
11-10-2008, 09:26 AM
Would it be possible to setup a chipin or make arrangements with one of the Constitution publishers such that we could get a copy to every serviceman/servicewoman?? I know this thread started out to send some books to a few servicemen, but if its good for 1 of them, it might be even better for all.

FF

TastyWheat
11-10-2008, 11:50 AM
Would it be possible to setup a chipin or make arrangements with one of the Constitution publishers such that would could get a copy to every serviceman/servicewoman?? I know this thread started out to send some books to a few servicemen, but if its good for 1 of them, it might be even better for all.

FF
That would be a great idea. I looked around and I never really saw any organization that takes random book donations. I've sent stuff to friends in Iraq before and I know it's a long address. I'm not sure if there's some generic address you can use to send stuff to random soldiers.

Shink
11-10-2008, 12:40 PM

I was in Iraq in late 2004 to spring of 2005, airborne infantry. I'm sure it's about the same way now as it was for me; a big cardboard box (care package) is most likely going to get opened by who it was sent to , occasionally while their superior NCOs watch. Annoying, snoopy, a waste of time, but the contents should be fine. I know the small amount of stuff I got sent I opened myself with nobody nosing through it, same with most of it. It's usually presumed to be food, reading materials and entertainment stuff anyway.

Civilians hold much power over any military guy--if it so happens that something you send gets taken or messed up, you can raise a shitstorm with the offending person's superior officers. I imagine you can send just about anything so long as it isn't going to appear threatening.