PDA

View Full Version : Tell Me How To Get This Done..

reduen
11-07-2008, 08:27 AM
I would like to see a law passed that would limit or set the pay of any representative, (state or federal) to the median household income of the people that they specifically represent.

Example:

The president should be paid a salary that equals the median household income in the United States. ($50,233.00 in 2007)

The governor of Arkansas should be paid a salary of $38,134 which was equal to the median household income in this state in the year 2007.

Etc......

In both cases their salary would rise and fall as the median income of their constituency does....

Doing this would go a long way toward ridding our political system of much of the corruption that exists today. It would also cause each representative to work harder to raise the median income of their constituency so that they would make more themselves…

Who all thinks that this is a good idea and how do we get it done? :cool:

AdamT
11-07-2008, 08:33 AM
Raise hundreds of millions of dollars through various corrupt international corporations and lobby the hell out of the criminals in Congress. Even then it's long shot. Sorry to be so positive.

ghengis86
11-07-2008, 08:42 AM
doesn't matter what they make, their government pensions are as good as gold. and most are eligible after a term.

but a great idea no less

acptulsa
11-07-2008, 08:54 AM
Certainly would make the gerrymandering more entertaining to watch...

'Let's see. If my district took in this gated community, my salary would rise this much but since I'm a Democrat I'd lose that many votes, so...? *pulls out hair* :D

reduen
11-07-2008, 09:55 AM
doesn't matter what they make, their government pensions are as good as gold. and most are eligible after a term.

but a great idea no less

The issue of pensions may have to be addressed also but this is a start...

Also, I am a huge praponent of the FairTax Initiative as a transiton from what we have today to a final outcome of having 0 Income Taxes...

We need to get this kind of stuff done folks! I just do not know where to even begin...

ghengis86
11-07-2008, 11:08 AM
The issue of pensions may have to be addressed also but this is a start...

Also, I am a huge praponent of the FairTax Initiative as a transiton from what we have today to a final outcome of having 0 Income Taxes...

We need to get this kind of stuff done folks! I just do not know where to even begin...

can you give me a link to reference the FairTax Initiative? I need to learn more about this

TastyWheat
11-07-2008, 01:10 PM
The FairTax is way better than our current system but we have to make sure it's a REPLACEMENT for everything else, not a supplement. Under the FairTax, as described in the book, only consumption is taxed. I don't know how Peter Schiff feels about the FairTax but he's always saying we need to get back to a saving society, not a debt society. This is much less likely to fly, but I still like the idea of [somewhat] maintaining federalism by taxing the states and letting the states collect as they see fit.

Back to your idea though, it sounds great. Although, it may just act as an incentive to fudge the numbers. Make sure it stays as the median income though and it doesn't get changed to the average. Personally, I think politicians should only receive a living wage, but this is a good compromise.

Anyway, if your state allows initiatives then try to get it on the ballot. Otherwise write up a resolution and present it to the Democratic or Republican party in the next mid term election.

reduen
11-07-2008, 01:41 PM
can you give me a link to reference the FairTax Initiative? I need to learn more about this

http://www.fairtax.org/site/PageServer

ghengis86
11-07-2008, 01:58 PM
http://www.fairtax.org/site/PageServer

thanks!