PDA

View Full Version : Bob Barr makes McCain lose NC

Dorfsmith
11-07-2008, 08:18 AM
Forgive me if this was posted already but it looks like Bob Barr actually did make McCain lose a state:

http://projects.washingtonpost.com/2008/elections/nc/president/

brandon
11-07-2008, 08:23 AM
haha!

thanks

brandon
11-07-2008, 08:23 AM
Barack Obama (D) 2,123,395 50%
John McCain (R) 2,109,402 50%
Bob Barr (Lib.) 25,419 1%

acptulsa
11-07-2008, 08:30 AM
1. Who says all those 25,000 people could have stomached a McCain vote? Oklahoma decided to screw Barr (the court case deciding if he can be on the ballot this week will come up in a week or two) so I, for one, left that slot on my ballot blank.

2. Who says none of those votes Barr 'stole' started out as Obama votes, so to speak?

3. Would Barr have still 'cost McCain the state' if McCain had earned the votes? How can any American fault anyone for offering Americans a better choice? I thought that was an integral part of America's strength and the American dream. Obviously, McCain failed to 'build a better mousetrap' and the United States failed to 'beat a path to his door'. This is decidedly not Bob Barr's fault.

Dorfsmith
11-07-2008, 08:33 AM
1. Who says all those 25,000 people could have stomached a McCain vote? Oklahoma decided to screw Barr (the court case deciding if he can be on the ballot this week will come up in a week or two) so I, for one, left that slot on my ballot blank.

2. Who says none of those votes Barr 'stole' started out as Obama votes, so to speak?

3. Would Barr have still 'cost McCain the state' if McCain had earned the votes? How can any American fault anyone for offering Americans a better choice? I thought that was an integral part of America's strength and the American dream. Obviously, McCain failed to 'build a better mousetrap' and the United States failed to 'beat a path to his door'. This is decidedly not Bob Barr's fault.

I was a Barr voter. I'm proud to tell everybody that the guy I voted for made McCain lose a state.

acptulsa
11-07-2008, 08:37 AM
I was a Barr voter. I'm proud to tell everybody that the guy I voted for made McCain lose a state.

:D Fortunately, you don't need my permission... :cool:

Dorfsmith
11-07-2008, 08:44 AM
Indeed :D

slacker921
11-07-2008, 08:53 AM
I voted Barr in NC.. I also voted Munger.

For Barr I wasn't concerned with "lesser of two evils" because I was pretty confident that McCain was going to lose anyway because of other states and that turned out to be the case. I convinced a few of my family members to also vote Barr.

Why?

--- In NC if the Libertarian party didn't get 2% in either the Presidential or Gubernatorial race then they lose their status as a legal party - they lose their voter roll and they're kicked off the ballot. It's a huge loss. Without the Libertarians the NC GOP would continue their slide towards the left..

--- The NC GOP flat out lied and cheated the Ron Paul supporters in their district and state conventions. I was there. In my district convention we were told that the people running for national delegate HAD to announce who they were going to support (nevermind that we were still weeks away from voting in our primary). We were told it was a law. Other district conventions didn't require that. Then at the state convention they stripped away delegates who supported Paul, replaced them with ones of their choosing, and then blamed it on the Paul campaign and BJ Lawson. I'd love to gather up about 200 Paul supporters to go to the state convention next year. That's all it would take to oust the dumbasses.

I also voted for Munger which was tough because McCrory would have been a huge improvement - and he's NOT from the Eastern part of the state. This is important in NC since it's been ages and ages since we had a governor from West of Greensboro - it's had a big impact on state funding for roads, schools, etc. Imagine if all governors of California for the last 40 years was from San Francisco or even further North. How would that affect Southern California?

In the end Munger got over 2% so the Libertarians will be on the ballot and Perdue won by a wide enough margin that the McCrory loss can't be blamed on Munger. Even more importantly Munger has announced he'll be running for state office in 2010 and for governor again in 2012.

pacelli
11-07-2008, 09:44 AM
I also voted Barr, Munger, and Lawson in NC.

I voted Barr in NC.. I also voted Munger.

For Barr I wasn't concerned with "lesser of two evils" because I was pretty confident that McCain was going to lose anyway because of other states and that turned out to be the case. I convinced a few of my family members to also vote Barr.

Why?

--- In NC if the Libertarian party didn't get 2% in either the Presidential or Gubernatorial race then they lose their status as a legal party - they lose their voter roll and they're kicked off the ballot. It's a huge loss. Without the Libertarians the NC GOP would continue their slide towards the left..

--- The NC GOP flat out lied and cheated the Ron Paul supporters in their district and state conventions. I was there. In my district convention we were told that the people running for national delegate HAD to announce who they were going to support (nevermind that we were still weeks away from voting in our primary). We were told it was a law. Other district conventions didn't require that. Then at the state convention they stripped away delegates who supported Paul, replaced them with ones of their choosing, and then blamed it on the Paul campaign and BJ Lawson. I'd love to gather up about 200 Paul supporters to go to the state convention next year. That's all it would take to oust the dumbasses.

I also voted for Munger which was tough because McCrory would have been a huge improvement - and he's NOT from the Eastern part of the state. This is important in NC since it's been ages and ages since we had a governor from West of Greensboro - it's had a big impact on state funding for roads, schools, etc. Imagine if all governors of California for the last 40 years was from San Francisco or even further North. How would that affect Southern California?

In the end Munger got over 2% so the Libertarians will be on the ballot and Perdue won by a wide enough margin that the McCrory loss can't be blamed on Munger. Even more importantly Munger has announced he'll be running for state office in 2010 and for governor again in 2012.

svf
11-07-2008, 11:07 AM
Barr also "spoiled" Indiana for McCain, apparently...

http://elections.nytimes.com/2008/results/states/indiana.html

Barack Obama Dem. 1,367,264 49.9%
John McCain Rep. 1,341,101 49.0%
Bob Barr Lib 29,186 1.1%

Dorfsmith
11-07-2008, 11:27 AM
Wow. I didn't realize Indiana was that close.

TastyWheat
11-07-2008, 01:20 PM
Ha! Suck it McCain!

wd4freedom
11-07-2008, 01:23 PM
This is good, but I was amazed at how poorly Barr/ Libertarians did overall. Barr did nothing to help legitimize the party and in fact probably hurt it.

Dorfsmith
11-07-2008, 02:29 PM
I have no doubt that Barr hurt the party more than he helped it. :(

svf
11-07-2008, 04:03 PM
No doubt, Barr's results are a disappointment.

But look at it this way... Nader only did slightly better with tons more name recognition, money, organization, time, and experience from his 3 or 4 other previous presidential runs (I lose track it was so many times...)

If anything, the net result of Barr08 will be to pull the LP back to a more purist/"radical" direction, since nominating a sort-of-politically-credible and experienced libertarian "moderate" did not result in considerably more votes than all the no-name purists they've run in the past.

In general, the future of the fragmented "freedom movement" seems to be in limbo... another Ron Paul-esque unifying moment does not appear to be anywhere on the horizon......