PDA

View Full Version : Steve Forbes: "Help Protect Free Enterprise from the Liberals"

Knightskye
11-06-2008, 10:36 PM
The Left has seized control in Washington.

Help Heritage Fight Back Against the Resurgent Left. Donate Now.They want to impose punitive and costly new restrictions on free enterprise. They want to smother businesses with new big-government regulations in the name of “fairness” and punish entrepreneurs with harsh new taxes in the name of “equality.”

And these new taxes on the “wealthy”? Have you noticed that “wealthy” people make less and less money? First they promised no tax hikes if you make less than $250,000, then $200,000, and now $150,000. Maybe they’ll just raise taxes on everyone.

Conservatives must fight back against these terrible ideas to keep America strong. And The Heritage Foundation has a plan to do just that.

The liberals and their mainstream media allies have their facts wrong. It was the Reagan tax cuts, not the Clinton tax hikes, that led to the long economic boom of the 1980s, 1990s and 2000s. Big-government blunders, not deregulation, helped cause the current economic troubles. And liberals are taking advantage of the economic collapse to impose their radical left-wing agenda on our country.

That’s not what America needs to get the economy back on track. We need less regulation, not more. We need lower taxes, not higher taxes. We need less government micromanagement of our lives, not more.

As a trustee of The Heritage Foundation, I can tell you that we will fight in the media, on Capitol Hill and around America to defend the principles of free enterprise from these pernicious assaults.And we will do everything in our power to see that our lawmakers strengthen the economy, not dig our country deeper into an economic hole.

Conservatives need a voice like The Heritage Foundation in Washington to ensure our principles are not lost in the left-wing echo chamber. That’s why your support is as critical now as it always has been.

Sincerely,

Steve Forbes
Trustee
The Heritage Foundation

I don't agree with them on everything, most notably foreign policy. But economic policy, heck yeah.

I'd feel guilty donating, though, since I don't think they can guarantee it'll be used for economic policy.

Finally, lawmakers should repeal Sarbanes-Oxley, the regulation-heavy law it passed after Enron collapsed a few years ago. Sarbox, as it's known, hasn't worked. It didn't protect our economy from the current crisis, for example. But it has helped drive entrepreneurs to invest overseas (where regulations are lighter) instead of here at home. Washington could encourage growth on the Street just by getting out of the way.

As a rule, Congress is good at two things: 1) doing nothing at all. 2) overreacting.
http://www.heritage.org/Press/Commentary/ed092308b.cfm

Good read.