PDA

View Full Version : 14" x 22" - OR - 11" x 14" :: What is a better size for Telephone Poles?

Lord Xar
09-08-2007, 02:36 AM
What is a better size for telephone guerrila tactics?

14" x 22" - OR - 11" x 14"

This is a One - Sided Board for posting on telephone poles.

What size is best?

JaylieWoW
09-08-2007, 02:41 AM
11 X 14

I managed a night club for awhile. I used to <3 the endearing notes we received from other businesses about how it was illegal to staple our advertisements to the telephone poles without a permit.

You should stick with something in the font Impact or equally impacting. Also limit it to 5 or 6 lines at about .... damn, can't remember the font size I used but just experiment with 5 or 6 lines.

BrianH
09-08-2007, 04:20 AM
Thought you were referring to telephone polls! I see that misspelled a lot!

Tn...Andy
09-08-2007, 07:46 AM
We use a 12"x16" made of 1/4" foam board. The foam board is "fan fold" type insulation board used under vinyl siding....it comes in a 2'x4' panel, 25 panels to a package. Cut into 12x16, you get 6 signs per panel.

Comes in different colors depending on the manufacturer, I like the blue Dow Corning make the best for visibility.

A pack of this runs about 35 bucks and makes 150 signs. We silkscreen them and can crank out 100/hr with two people.....by the way, acrylic house paint works just as good as way more expensive silkscreen ink. You can get screens made at a lot of local T-shirt places......we paid 25 bucks for these screens ready to go. This route is WAY cheaper than spray painting, and you get a better sign to boot.

Found them to be EXTREMELY effective in getting Ron Paul's name out there. Pick "lonely" telephone poles......out by themselves where you don't have other distractions so they miss your sign.

Keep the message short and simple and the print as large as possible.

http://www.digistash.com/data/026a39ae63343c68b5223a95f3e17616/5728_p119284.jpeg

(Unknown sign maker hard at work....ahahahaaaaaaaaa)

http://www.digistash.com/data/026a39ae63343c68b5223a95f3e17616/5728_p119281.jpeg

http://www.digistash.com/data/026a39ae63343c68b5223a95f3e17616/5728_p119283.jpeg

McDermit
09-08-2007, 08:34 AM
the bag on the head is priceless.

that's an awesome method though, we might have to borrow that idea.

Tn...Andy
09-08-2007, 08:37 AM
Feel free....use the "internet patent"......steal the idea, use it 3 times, and it's yours......ahahhaaaaaaaaaaa

You can crank out your own T shirts as well as signs too.....

Yeah, the bag is a hoot. They wouldn't even let him have a hole in the front.....afraid too much ugly would sneak out......ahahhaaaaaaaaa

constituent
09-08-2007, 09:18 AM
bump.

lucius
09-08-2007, 09:43 AM
We use a 12"x16" made of 1/4" foam board. The foam board is "fan fold" type insulation board used under vinyl siding....it comes in a 2'x4' panel, 25 panels to a package. Cut into 12x16, you get 6 signs per panel.

Comes in different colors depending on the manufacturer, I like the blue Dow Corning make the best for visibility.

A pack of this runs about 35 bucks and makes 150 signs. We silkscreen them and can crank out 100/hr with two people.....by the way, acrylic house paint works just as good as way more expensive silkscreen ink. You can get screens made at a lot of local T-shirt places......we paid 25 bucks for these screens ready to go. This route is WAY cheaper than spray painting, and you get a better sign to boot.

Found them to be EXTREMELY effective in getting Ron Paul's name out there. Pick "lonely" telephone poles......out by themselves where you don't have other distractions so they miss your sign.

Keep the message short and simple and the print as large as possible.

http://www.digistash.com/data/026a39ae63343c68b5223a95f3e17616/5728_p119284.jpeg

(Unknown sign maker hard at work....ahahahaaaaaaaaa)

http://www.digistash.com/data/026a39ae63343c68b5223a95f3e17616/5728_p119281.jpeg

http://www.digistash.com/data/026a39ae63343c68b5223a95f3e17616/5728_p119283.jpeg

Way cool! Can you explain how to do the actual silkscreen process with acrylic paint, I am not very swift about this particular aspect? :confused:

Lord Xar
09-08-2007, 12:27 PM
can someone actually answer my original question?

I am gonna be making about 2000 - 5000 of these and I want to know which ones to go with ---

These are for Telephone Polls Guerilla Posting.... staple gun, ladder...

sizes: 14" x 22" - OR - 11" x 14"

McDermit
09-08-2007, 01:24 PM
11" x 14"

unless you have a ladder and/or tall enough people to get the 22" signs high enough on the poles that the average bear can't easily tear them down. if you have the means to get the 22" signs up there, go with them.

I just ordered a "sign stapler" last night. I'm hoping this thing will work well enough that we don't have to worry about ladders. I'm fat and clumsy.. I don't do well with them.

McDermit
09-08-2007, 01:25 PM
And Andy, did your tshirt people provide you with the frame and squeegee and everything, or just the screen?

Lord Xar
09-08-2007, 01:26 PM
11" x 14"

unless you have a ladder and/or tall enough people to get the 22" signs high enough on the poles that the average bear can't easily tear them down. if you have the means to get the 22" signs up there, go with them.

I just ordered a "sign stapler" last night. I'm hoping this thing will work well enough that we don't have to worry about ladders. I'm fat and clumsy.. I don't do well with them.

sign stapler?? you mean they have something that makes it convenient so I do NOT have to have a ladder??????????? you have a link?

Lord Xar
09-08-2007, 02:36 PM
bump... which size????

one or the other.. which one?

bbachtung
09-08-2007, 03:08 PM
http://www.signstapler.com/

They're $84.

Tn...Andy
09-08-2007, 06:40 PM
can someone actually answer my original question?

I am gonna be making about 2000 - 5000 of these and I want to know which ones to go with ---

These are for Telephone Polls Guerilla Posting.... staple gun, ladder...

sizes: 14" x 22" - OR - 11" x 14"

Sure....sorry to get OT.

There is no "correct" answer because it will depend on many factors.

1. How big is your font

2. How wordy is the message

3. What type material is the sign base. Is this a "stiff" type sign or a poster you are wrapping around the pole ? IF it's a stiff type sign material, how much wind do you get ? The bigger the sign, the better the material must be AND the better you have to secure it, or it won't last one night in good breeze.

and so on. So your question begets more questions....see ?

Tn...Andy
09-08-2007, 07:20 PM
And Andy, did your tshirt people provide you with the frame and squeegee and everything, or just the screen?

Yeah....I bought everything from him....he had a couple of old screens in frames, and I just told him what I wanted on them ( you can clean the screens of previous designs and use them over and over )...and I bought a used squeegee off him for 10 bucks. You can get this stuff online as well if you do a Google for silkscreen stuff, but he was very reasonable, and I picked it up the next day.

Silkscreening is THE way to crank out signs fast.

Lucius:

The process is simple once you have a screen with your design....this is the more complex part, and I suggest you let a screen shop ( or off the internet ) do this part.....the learning curve and equipment for it is probably more than you want to take on just for a one time project....so just pay someone for pre-made screens.

I simply screwed a pair of small hinges to the back edge of the screen, and mounted 2 strips of 1/4 plywood under it for a "stop" in the shape of an "L" so we could stick the blank pc of foam under the screen when you raise it and the blank would index to the screen the same each time. The hinges keep the screen in the right place, but let it flip up to remove sign and insert a new blank.

Then you simply pour some silk screen ink, or acrylic latex house paint ( both are water based ) on the screen.....use the squeegee to "flood" the screen out where the letter design is, then rake all that to the back by pressing the squeegee down hard at an angle. You'll know immediately if you're not getting enough ink out on the screen in the "flood the screen" stage....your signs will come out with missing parts of the letters were you didn't get ink out on the screen to squeegee through.....so let it RIP out there on the screen....

The design is actual screen holes....the rest is blocked off by a special silkscreen film that doesn't let ink flow thru the screen where you don't want it. You can see the "unknown sign man" has just squeegee'd the ink off to the back of the screen, leaving in in the design "Who is Ron Paul ? " on the pc of foam under the screen.

Now ready to raise the screen, take out the sign and set it aside to dry, and insert a new blank.

With someone to help insert and remove the signs, you can do 2 a minute once you get on a roll.

Clean up is: unscrew the screen from the plywood being used for a base, and take the whole mess out in the yard and water hose it down......let it dry and the screen is ready for another run. As long as you don't damage the screen some way, you can use it pretty much indefinitely....way beyond this election anyway.....ahahahaaaaaa

This is THE CHEAPEST way to mass produce signs.

The foam board we use is 35 bucks for a 200sqft bundle, which makes 150 12"x16" signs....that's 24 cents per blank. I had 25 bucks each in two screens, plus a squeegee that will do thousands and thousands of signs. If you buy actual acrylic silk screen ink ( which you would if you wanted to do T shirts or something you wanted to last a long time ), I got some off the internet for 16 bucks/qt....that will do 300 signs....5 cents/sign.......but go to Home Depot and get a good acrylic house paint mixed to whatever color you want, for 20 bucks a gallon....works just as good and drops that cost to about a penny per sign. So, if you do enough signs to amortize the screen costs down, you can crank these boys out for little over a quarter each.

The foam board is the biggest cost. I'm thinking of trying to find some cheap, light colored wall paper, and see if that cost less. If you have a source of light colored scrap cardboard, that would work too, except for the weather.....that's where the foam board is nice.....water doesn't bother it....wind, however, does !

Tn...Andy
09-08-2007, 07:27 PM
And that "sign stapler" is nothing more than a hammer-tacker staple gun stuck in a pc of plastic pipe with a little clip on the bottom to hold the sign until you get the first staple. Brand new hammer takers are 35-40 buck range at Home Depot.....add a pc of plastic pipe for 5 bucks, and screw a clip to the underside and I can make one of these for 1/2 this guy's price.

But I SURE do appreciate the idea !! :D

RoamZero
09-08-2007, 08:12 PM
Whoops, wrong thread.