PDA

View Full Version : PBS Republican Debate - Sept 27th - Baltimore, Maryland

billm317
09-08-2007, 01:25 AM
Host: Tavis Smiley [wikipedia bio] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tavis_Smiley) [his PBS site] (http://www.pbs.org/kcet/tavissmiley/)

This isn't officially on RP's site, but I found the following quote, "Paul is preparing for a Sept. 1 Texas straw poll, the Sept. 5 Fox News Republican debate at the University of New Hampshire and the Sept. 27 PBS Republican forum hosted by Tavis Smiley at Morgan State University in Baltimore, according to his campaign."

Fred Thompson has already announced that he'll be there, so I bet Rudy McRomney will follow suit.

Here's what a FredHead said:
"Tickets will be available at Morgan State. I will post that information shortly. Also, for those that don’t want to attend the actual debate, we want there to be a crowd of supporters outside cheering him on."

The other campaigns are already planning ahead, so we need to get moving with it.

Slugg
09-08-2007, 01:29 AM
PBS DEBATE?!?!?!?!?! That's perfect for RP. No loaded questions for RP. Lots of NAU questions for the CFR types....too bad the people who will tune into that debate are already pretty informed.....but I think it's awesome!!!!!!

purplechoe
09-08-2007, 01:32 AM
Here's what a FredHead said:
"Tickets will be available at Morgan State. I will post that information shortly. Also, for those that don’t want to attend the actual debate, we want there to be a crowd of supporters outside cheering him on."
it.

What people, like the Rudy supporters on the Faux debate. All I saw were signs, no people.

billm317
09-08-2007, 01:34 AM
"As promised, we are providing more information regarding the PBS Republican debate at Morgan State University on September 27th. In addition to attending the actual debate, we are trying to organize a crowd of supporters outside of the venue. THE MD GOP is also in the planning process for some events during the day including a Pre-Debate Breakfast Rally with Lt. Governor Michael Steele. More details to follow.

Here is the ticket info:

A limited number of free tickets are available. To attend the Republican Forum, each audience member must have a ticket.

Tickets will be available for pick up on a first come, first served basis at 10am on Monday, September 17th at the Murphy Fine Arts Center box office located at 2201 Argonne Drive, Baltimore, Maryland 21251. LIMIT 2 TICKETS PER HOUSEHOLD.

Out-of-Town guests may request/obtain tickets, by calling the Murphy Fine Arts Center box office at (443) 885-4440 during business hours (Mon-Fri: 10 AM - 7 PM; and Saturdays: 10 AM - 4 PM) starting at 10 AM EDT Monday, September 17th. To be added to the ticket “reservation” list, you will be required to provide your name, phone number, and address (name and address must match name and address on government-issued photo ID). Tickets WILL NOT be mailed. LIMIT 2 TICKETS PER HOUSEHOLD. All guests must show a valid government-issued photo ID (i.e., driver’s license, passport, etc.) in order to pick up tickets; all reserved tickets not picked up by 6pm, Thursday, September 27th will be made available to the general public."

^ 9 days to get the word out

Tuck
09-08-2007, 01:57 AM
how many meetup members are there in MD? We need to get the word out to them asap.

billm317
09-08-2007, 02:07 AM
how many meetup members are there in MD? We need to get the word out to them asap.

I messaged the organizers of about 15, but my "25 contacts in 30 days" was met, so I couldn't send anymore. There are a ton of meetup groups in that area. I used the zip code 21201 and went from there. I started messaging in reverse order, so messages weren't sent to the closest group organizers. Feel free to pick up where I left off :)

EDIT: and in case it wasn't clear, I was messaging the group organizers themselves, not the entire group. i figure the organizer might wanna schedule something and then send out a bulk email to the members

inibo
09-08-2007, 02:30 AM

We know. It was posted on the three biggest MD/DC area MeetUps about three or four days ago. We'll be there. With or without tickets, inside or out, we'll be there. This is starting to get very real and we are in this to win.

JaylieWoW
09-08-2007, 02:35 AM
PBS DEBATE?!?!?!?!?! That's perfect for RP. No loaded questions for RP. Lots of NAU questions for the CFR types....too bad the people who will tune into that debate are already pretty informed.....but I think it's awesome!!!!!!

I would like to inject a word of caution with PBS. First, don't let the name fool you. I've worked extensively with non-custodial parental rights groups (actually it is the why and how I found Ron Paul, Nov. 2006) and PBS has issued more than its fair share of biased reports. In particular was a "documentary" called "Breaking the Silence: Children's Stories". In this particular "unbiased" documentary, one of the women interviewed for this "unbiased" documentary was Sadia Loeliger. It was later discovered (and admitted) that this mother had been charged with child abuse.

If you'd like to research this please visit this link (http://www.glennsacks.com/pbs/producers-apologize.php).

This seems as good of a moment as any to remind everyone of something Lenin once stated (and attempted to accomplish if you trace no fault divorce to its source in USSR around 1913ish and latter).

"Destroy the family, and you destroy society." (Vladimir I. Lenin)

This was Lenin’s plan, and he set out to do that, with the objective of creating a new society with the government as the ultimate father.

This particular "plank" is what drew me to Ron Paul. Though I understand now that it isn't about mother's or father's rights (collectivism), I have come to realize that the destruction of the family is crucial and, sadly, has been successful in "herding" the "sheeple". I know now that protecting liberty, and that means the LIBERTY of INDIVIDUALS is one battlefront, but the most damaging weapon used in this endeavor is the destruction of the family.

But, I digress, onto the reasons for this post (outside of my personal demons).

Prior to the release of this documentary, the tainted past of Sadia Loeliger was well documented. PBS pushed forward and released the documentary despite protest (including protest from Obudsman):

Bode, who in two previous reports had endorsed the central charges made by fatherhood advocates protesting the film, noted that "with the possibility of litigation still lingering, PBS did not admit that there was a violation of its standards of fairness and balance."

Bode's report also contained nearly a dozen letters he'd received about his reports on the film, most of them from protest sympathizers. To read Bode's new report, see "Another Look at "Breaking the Silence: The Children's Stories (1/4/06). Bode's previous two reports can be seen at Corporation for Public Broadcasting Report: 'No Hint of Balance in Breaking the Silence' (11/29/05) and Corporation for Public Broadcasting Blasts Breaking the Silence Again (12/19/05).

I guess you could say I'm quite "used to" media bias. Been fighting it on the family level for years.

In any case, lets not let our guard down ok?

itsnobody
09-08-2007, 08:18 AM
I posted how to get free tickets for all the Marylanders in the meetup groups...come on we need thousands of Ron Paul supporters in MD to be there...

"We need to fill the arena with Ron Paul supporters everywhere, the debate is at Morgan State University in Baltimore, MD...

Tickets will be available for pick up on a first come, first served basis at 10am on Monday, September 17th at the Murphy Fine Arts Center box office located at 2201 Argonne Drive, Baltimore, Maryland 21251. LIMIT 2 TICKETS PER HOUSEHOLD.

Out-of-Town guests may request/obtain tickets, by calling the Murphy Fine Arts Center box office at (443) 885-4440 during business hours (Mon-Fri: 10 AM - 7 PM; and Saturdays: 10 AM - 4 PM) starting at 10 AM EDT Monday, September 17th. To be added to the ticket "reservation" list, you will be required to provide your name, phone number, and address (name and address must match name and address on government-issued photo ID). Tickets WILL NOT be mailed. LIMIT 2 TICKETS PER HOUSEHOLD. All guests must show a valid government-issued photo ID (i.e., driver's license, passport, etc.) in order to pick up tickets; all reserved tickets not picked up by 6pm, Thursday, September 27th will be made available to the general public.

Forward to as many MD Ron Paul supporters as possible..."

fourameuphoria
09-08-2007, 08:32 AM
From what I've heard, Thompson will be the only top-tier there.

markpa
09-08-2007, 08:38 AM
I grew up a few blocks from Morgan St. ...not the best neighborhood. No big deal if it's daylight but seriously travel in packs if you go. I live in PA now but I will see if I can organize a group from my meet up to attend.

itsnobody
09-08-2007, 08:47 AM
From what I've heard, Thompson will be the only top-tier there.

True, http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/nation/bal-te.debate07sep07,0,5775286.story

Romney and Guiliani (and it looks like most of the others) will probably not also be there...

themanhere
09-08-2007, 08:48 AM
"As promised, we are providing more information regarding the PBS Republican debate at Morgan State University on September 27th. In addition to attending the actual debate, we are trying to organize a crowd of supporters outside of the venue. THE MD GOP is also in the planning process for some events during the day including a Pre-Debate Breakfast Rally with Lt. Governor Michael Steele. More details to follow.

Here is the ticket info:

A limited number of free tickets are available. To attend the Republican Forum, each audience member must have a ticket.

Out-of-Town guests may request/obtain tickets, by calling the Murphy Fine Arts Center box office at (443) 885-4440 during business hours (Mon-Fri: 10 AM - 7 PM; and Saturdays: 10 AM - 4 PM) starting at 10 AM EDT Monday, September 17th. To be added to the ticket “reservation” list, you will be required to provide your name, phone number, and address (name and address must match name and address on government-issued photo ID). Tickets WILL NOT be mailed. LIMIT 2 TICKETS PER HOUSEHOLD. All guests must show a valid government-issued photo ID (i.e., driver’s license, passport, etc.) in order to pick up tickets; all reserved tickets not picked up by 6pm, Thursday, September 27th will be made available to the general public."

^ 9 days to get the word out

Damn we need to get the WORD OUT ASAP!!!!

itsnobody
09-08-2007, 08:56 AM
Damn we need to get the WORD OUT ASAP!!!!

Yes please get everyone you know to be there....I hope Ron Paul announces that he will be there soon

LibertyEagle
09-08-2007, 09:14 AM
I swear, whomever is responsible for updating the campaign web page needs to go get a different job. Neither this debate or the speech at John Hopkins is listed on the Events page.

http://www.ronpaul2008.com/events/

sunny
09-08-2007, 09:14 AM

slugg, don't be fooled........pbs ain't a whole lot better than fox but it is better.......there's plenty of cfr in pbs.

philipsantamaria
09-08-2007, 09:17 AM
Awesome. Can't wait for this.

Brasil Branco
09-08-2007, 09:17 AM
slugg, don't be fooled........pbs ain't a whole lot better than fox but it is better.......there's plenty of cfr in pbs.

I always knew Mr. Rogers was advancing the new world order. :rolleyes:

goldenequity
09-08-2007, 09:34 AM
Hi....

Thought I would post the audio link from June 22nd to the Ron Paul Tavis Smiley interview in case some of you didn't already hear it. This is where he "cornered" Ron
with an invitation and Ron's acceptance documented.

It kind of gives some insight into what kind of "arena" RP will be heading into....

HERE (http://www.ronpaulaudio.com/rpaudio/RonPaulTavisSmileyPRIinterview062207.m3u)

randy:)

rajibo
09-08-2007, 09:44 AM
Hi....

Thought I would post the audio link from June 22nd to the Ron Paul Tavis Smiley interview in case some of you didn't already hear it. This is where he "cornered" Ron

It kind of gives some insight into what kind of "arena" RP will be heading into....

HERE (http://www.ronpaulaudio.com/rpaudio/RonPaulTavisSmileyPRIinterview062207.m3u)

"On September 27, 2007, the Republican Presidential Forum will be held on the campus of Morgan State University in Baltimore, MD, and will broadcast live in primetime on PBS. Along with Tavis, three journalists of color will pose questions to the candidates regarding the Covenant with Black America and other domestic issues that affect all Americans."

I hope they have ample time to explain their positions, otherwise Ron's views may come off as heartless to this particular audience. "What do you mean you want to eliminate welfare?":eek:

inibo
09-08-2007, 09:45 AM
Hi....

You're link is broken. Try THIS (http://www.ronpaulaudio.com/rpaudio/RonPaulTavisSmileyPRIinterview062207.m3u)

goldenequity
09-08-2007, 09:55 AM
You're link is broken. Try THIS (http://www.ronpaulaudio.com/rpaudio/RonPaulTavisSmileyPRIinterview062207.m3u)

You're quick.... you posted while I was fixing it!:)

brandon
09-08-2007, 10:12 AM
I'm from philly. It's not to far of a trip down to baltimore. We have alot of supporters here, hopefully we can charter a couple busses down to the debate.

james1906
09-08-2007, 10:25 AM
I always knew Mr. Rogers was advancing the new world order. :rolleyes:

And Big Bird is a chickenhawk.

Ron Paul Fan
09-08-2007, 10:29 AM
http://www.gwu.edu/~action/2008/primdeb08/nhdp051607pr.html

According to this, there is another Republican debate on the same night in New Hampshire on MSNBC moderated by Tim Russert. What they should do is move the Democrat one to the 27th and the Republican one to the 26th so all of the candidates can attend both events.

itsnobody
09-08-2007, 10:46 AM
http://www.gwu.edu/~action/2008/primdeb08/nhdp051607pr.html

According to this, there is another Republican debate on the same night in New Hampshire on MSNBC moderated by Tim Russert. What they should do is move the Democrat one to the 27th and the Republican one to the 26th so all of the candidates can attend both events.

I don't know if this source is up to date, its from May 16, 2007, where as the others placing the PBS Debate on September 27th, 2007 are very recent (Sept. 7th, 2007), I need more sources...

Perry
09-08-2007, 10:55 AM
Anyone know if this debate will be on C-span?

abstrusezincate
09-08-2007, 11:06 AM
Has it actually been confirmed that Ron will be at this debate and not the one in New Hampshire?

billm317
09-08-2007, 11:33 AM
Has it actually been confirmed that Ron will be at this debate and not the one in New Hampshire?

Confirmed 100%, no. But he did say in that radio broadcasting that he will be there and I read an article where they claimed the Ron Paul campaign was on board for the Sept 1 straw poll, the Sept 5 debate and the Sept 27 debate at Morgan State

Something interesting I found here (http://mediamatters.org/items/200709070003?f=h_latest):
"In response to an announcement in April by PBS that, immediately after the June 28 Democratic presidential forum, "public feedback on the performance of the candidates will be conducted by noted pollster Frank Luntz, who will also appear on 'Tavis Smiley' on PBS the following evening to discuss his findings"

Mr. Smiley is buddies with our good pal Luntz. Lovely.

EDIT: That article goes on to talk about why Luntz sucks so bad.

BizmanUSA
09-08-2007, 12:07 PM
Will this be broadcasted live to other PBS stations? In western PA the station is WQED

Is going to on the Internet?

LibertyEagle
09-08-2007, 12:44 PM
Hi....

I remember listening to this at the time. Smiley went off on something after Dr. Paul had to leave and clearly had the wrong impression about something. I emailed him about it and gave him the facts. I received a very nice email back from him. He was very nice and said he was wrong and felt stupid for not knowing that. I remember him saying that he wished he had known that before Dr. Paul came on. I remember being very impressed with his reply.

zhughes315
09-08-2007, 01:28 PM
I will be there with some people from UMD.:)

Noog
09-08-2007, 01:35 PM
Let me see if I understand this... He's going to be on a debate broadcast on PBS and not a debate on MSNBC?

inibo
09-09-2007, 09:29 AM

For the debate/forum in Baltimore [Morgan State University], according to Don Rasmussen
Yes, Ron will be there.

For the debate in New Hampshire [Dartmouth College], according to Dartmouth College's website (http://www.dartmouth.edu/~news/releases/2007/03/28.html), as of 8/24/07
At present, there are no firm plans for a Republican candidates debate. The College had hoped to host such a debate on Sept. 27, but that currently appears unlikely. However, efforts to establish such a debate at Dartmouth are ongoing.

Now excuse me while I go update wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republican_presidential_debates%2C_2008#September_ 27.2C_2007_-_Baltimore.2C_Maryland.3B_and_Hanover.2C_New_Hamps hire).

abstrusezincate
09-11-2007, 09:38 PM
I wanted to bring this back to everyone's attention. Since Fred Thompson is going to be here, it's a really opportunity for us to potentially engage him one on one. I hope that groups and individuals in the area will be there in attendance.

I posted on the Daily Paul to let people know about this and this information, and will do so for Michigan as well in a few days. These debates are probably the best opportunity we have to illustrate the support for our candidate's positions, and you could see in New Hampshire what a difference that made.

brandon
09-11-2007, 09:42 PM
I will arrange to have charter busses take people from philly to the debate if there is enough interest. In light of the whole philly meetup scandal I am not sure if we will be able to get it together in time though.

billm317
09-11-2007, 09:48 PM
reiterating the ticket info:

Here is the ticket info:

abstrusezincate
09-11-2007, 09:51 PM
You guys are probably close enough to arrange carpools. That's how we are doing it. I'd put it out to your group, and see how many people are going. Then, knowing that, make the arrangements. My guess is two or three people driving would probably cover the planning.

AFTFNJ
09-11-2007, 10:39 PM
Ride from NJ is going room for 6 people! Split the gas as usual!

billm317
09-13-2007, 01:51 PM
bump

Cowlesy
09-13-2007, 02:14 PM
bump

itsnobody
09-15-2007, 03:41 PM
bump, people need to know that you have to pick up the free tickets on Monday

billm317
09-18-2007, 05:45 PM
This isn't listed on the calendar on ronpaul2008.com
Are we certain RP is going to be there?

stevedasbach
09-18-2007, 05:56 PM
Sure hope so. I reserved tickets and I'm certainly not driving to Baltimore to listen to those other clowns.

Slugg
09-18-2007, 06:00 PM

I'm not. But I don't see why not.

It's called the All American Presidential Forum. Here's a listing for San Antonio, TX
http://www.pbs.org/tvschedules/index.html?station=KLRN&display_date=2007-09-27&display_time=19:30:00&feeds=1911,13354,14701,14702&

Here is more info. They have a picture of Ron Paul (and others) on the page. It seems as if he's going to be there.
http://www.pbs.org/kcet/tavissmiley/special/forums/

I hope this instils some hope..heh

inibo
09-18-2007, 06:15 PM

Don Rasmussen has told me Ron Paul will be there. I have contacted him again to confirm it and I've asked that it be put on the event calendar. I am awaiting his response and will pass along the information as I get it.

inibo
09-18-2007, 06:21 PM
I just got a reply to my e-mail. It is from Don Rasmussen's campaign e-mail account:

Yes, Ron will be there.

brandon
09-18-2007, 06:40 PM
I tried to get tickets for this. I live in philly and was going to drive down. I called to reserve tickets, and they told me they were no longer taking phone reservations, i had to show up in person. I couldn't make the two hour drive due to my schedule so i wont be going. Looks like they are trying to only let locals in.

billm317
09-18-2007, 07:09 PM
They did something different in the debate last night that you might see more of... The only people who got to vote were the ones who actually attended the debate. I would put down some decent money that this won't be the last time we see that. This is another reason why I think our attendance there is extremely important.

jimvrp
09-18-2007, 07:23 PM
Fred apparently is going to pass on the debate in Baltimore:

http://www.mdforfred.com/2007/09/18/thompsons-first-debate-scheduled-for-october-9th-in-michigan/

itsnobody
09-18-2007, 07:35 PM
They also told me they weren't taking any more phone reservations, so I had to drive up there this morning and get the tickets...but I got them!! I'm going with 5 other people...

tekkierich
09-18-2007, 07:41 PM
Well that is a shame, wouldn't want to stress the guy out with the rigors of a presidential race or anything.

I have gotten tickets and will be there. I encourage all others to come out even if you can not get tickets. We will have the large rally van there that has been making the rounds around the state. The plans are to hook up an audio feed from the truck for who ever might be interested.

itsnobody
09-18-2007, 08:18 PM
Well that is a shame, wouldn't want to stress the guy out with the rigors of a presidential race or anything.

I have gotten tickets and will be there. I encourage all others to come out even if you can not get tickets. We will have the large rally van there that has been making the rounds around the state. The plans are to hook up an audio feed from the truck for who ever might be interested.

Great, what meetup group are you in? Me and 5 other people will be there around 3PM.....

mrchubbs
09-19-2007, 11:45 AM
A friend drove an 2 hours today to secure 2 tickets for him and me.

Finally I get to see Ron Paul in person.

I'm excited, can't you tell?

jumpyg1258
09-19-2007, 12:45 PM
I grew up a few blocks from Morgan St. ...not the best neighborhood. No big deal if it's daylight but seriously travel in packs if you go. I live in PA now but I will see if I can organize a group from my meet up to attend.

I agree. I picked up my tickets yesterday and it was a shady drive to Morgan State from I-95. I hope they have some extra security going and definately extra parking since there was no where to park around there (had to have a university pass).

Bradley in DC
09-19-2007, 12:51 PM
Several us from the DC Meetup Groups reserved tickets. I know one already picked his up. I'm going with another of us on Friday to pick up ours.

Syren123
09-19-2007, 01:23 PM
I think it goes without saying that your fellow meetup brethren throughout the country will be expecting you guys to REPRESENT! We wanna hear you LOUD and PROUD.

Like I have to even mention it.

jumpyg1258
09-19-2007, 01:33 PM
I do have 1 extra ticket for the affair. I have yet to decide on whether I should auction it on ebay and give the money I recieve for the ticket to the campaign or if I should just find a Ron Pauler at the debate that doesn't have a ticket and give it to them.

wgadget
09-19-2007, 01:37 PM
Seeing Ron Paul in person was like the highlight of my entire LIFE, and I'm 47 years old!

It was an AWESOME experience.

Corydoras
09-19-2007, 08:18 PM
September 27, Baltimore, on PBS
Romney, Giuliani, Thompson, McCain WON'T be there.
Anybody got more information?

Edit: Oh. Duh. Thanks for moving this.

leipo
09-19-2007, 08:23 PM
September 27, Baltimore, on PBS
Romney, Giuliani, Thompson, McCain WON'T be there.
Anybody got more information?

So, will these guys only attend to Fox/CNN debates?

krott5333
09-19-2007, 08:35 PM
Will this be broadcasted live to other PBS stations? In western PA the station is WQED

Is going to on the Internet?

in NORTHWESTERN PA *cough*ERIE*cough* its WQLN

Phil M
09-19-2007, 08:43 PM
The debate has its own website: http://www.pbs.org/kcet/tavissmiley/special/forums/

Ron Paul is one of five listed Republicans. There should be plenty of speaking time for him, let's just hope Keyes/Cox don't show.