PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul-Republican WINS race for Galveston County, TX Tax Assessor!

AbolishTheGovt
11-06-2008, 03:06 PM
http://www.vote4cheryl.com/

Cheryl E. Johnson, Ron Paul-endorsed candidate for Galveston County, TX Tax Assessor, has WON her election campaign with 58% of the vote! Congratulations! They've got some smart people down there in the Galveston area. ;)

http://www.galvestonvotes.org/November_04_2008/Results/results.htm

JosephTheLibertarian
11-06-2008, 03:07 PM
http://www.vote4cheryl.com/

Cheryl E. Johnson, Ron Paul-endorsed candidate for Galveston County, TX Tax Assessor, has WON her election campaign with 58% of the vote! Congratulations! They've got some smart people down there in the Galveston area. ;)

http://www.galvestonvotes.org/November_04_2008/Results/results.htm

Why even bother running for that? A useless position for a partisan.

torchbearer
11-06-2008, 03:11 PM
Tax Assessor is a powerful position in our state. I'm sure it is in Texas.
Question is... does she enforce property taxes? Or let them slide?

JosephTheLibertarian
11-06-2008, 03:13 PM

I would keep letting it slide over and over again.

Fox McCloud

that would be very interesting if she just let it slide...at the same time though, she probably would never get elected again if she did; the people working for the schools and some overly-zealous parents would like form a coalition and say that she's evil because she "doesn't support our children and their future".

AbolishTheGovt
Her campaign website says she will reduce property taxes, reduce the appraisal cap, increase local control over taxpayer payment options, and provide programs to educate property owners on how to reduce their tax burden.

torchbearer
11-06-2008, 03:17 PM
that would be very interesting if she just let it slide...at the same time though, she probably would never get elected again if she did; the people working for the schools and some overly-zealous parents would like form a coalition and say that she's evil because she "doesn't support our children and their future".

Where I grew up... the tax assessor kept his job by not enforcing property taxes or any sheriff's sell of those who don't pay them.
They ran the local schools solely from local industry taxes.
They were charter schools who recieved no federal funding.
They also had minimal government too, and a very small budget outside of parish roads and charter schools.

JosephTheLibertarian
11-06-2008, 03:18 PM
Where I grew up... the tax assessor kept his job by not enforcing property taxes or any sheriff's sell of those who don't pay them.
They also had minimal government too, and a very small budget outside of parish roads and charter schools.

That's nice. Does NJ have that office?

Fox McCloud
11-06-2008, 03:20 PM

wow, that's amazing.

I guess I'm just very apathetic about property taxes around here; they go up every couple to five years, with little to no hope of them being reduced or eliminated....why? It's Ohio...for some odd reason we think we have to be #1 in the nation when it comes to education...that's why we passed a [retarded] law requiring all educators for Senior Year of high-school and below to have a Masters Degree....and yes, if you're going to ask, you have to have a Masters in Ohio now to teach Kindergarten.

torchbearer
11-06-2008, 03:20 PM
That's nice. Does NJ have that office?

Call your county courthouse, that is usually where the tax assessors office is located.

Truth Warrior
11-06-2008, 03:21 PM
Tax Assessor? :p

Is that irony, or what? :D

JosephTheLibertarian
11-06-2008, 03:22 PM
Call your county courthouse, that is usually where the tax assessors office is located.

It's too late to run for anything lol. I've been busy anyway. I'd probably get crucified for not going after peopleout here in NJ. ha ha ha

torchbearer
11-06-2008, 03:24 PM
Tax Assessor?

Is that irony, or what? :D

The libertarian in louisiana who garnered the most votes in our state (took the record from me) is a guy who ran for insurance commissioner with the platform of abolishing the office as soon as he was elected.
He got 11% statewide. That's a lot of votes.

Imagine, running for an office on the platform of abolishing it.

JosephTheLibertarian
11-06-2008, 03:26 PM
The libertarian in louisiana who garnered the most votes in our state (took the record from me) is a guy who ran for insurance commissioner with the platform of abolishing the office as soon as he was elected.

He didn't have the authority to abolish it though?

AbolishTheGovt
11-06-2008, 03:28 PM

Not sure if you can do that or not, but I imagine you could have it abolished eventually by 1). refusing to do anything once you got into office, and 2). using your position and influence to see that whoever DOES have the authority to abolish it, will.

torchbearer
11-06-2008, 03:29 PM

He would have the mandate to close shop if the people voting him in on that platform.
At least for his term, that office was be closed.

Might send the signal to the legislature that the people don't think that office is needed.

Truth Warrior
11-06-2008, 03:30 PM

Wouldn't that be a legislative branch function and decision? I don't pay ANY attention to campaign promises, especially NOT the bogus ones which are MOST of them. :p

JosephTheLibertarian
11-06-2008, 03:31 PM
He would have the mandate to close shop if the people voting him in on that platform.
At least for his term, that office was be closed.

Might send the signal to the legislature that the people don't think that office is needed.

Yeah, or he could be impeached.

torchbearer
11-06-2008, 04:16 PM
Wouldn't that be a legislative branch function and decision? I don't pay ANY attention to campaign promises, especially NOT the bogus ones which are MOST of them. :p

It's been done in this state before. We have so many useless elected offices...
I'm trying to remember who abolished the last office...
I think it was in education.

Truth Warrior
11-06-2008, 05:05 PM
It's been done in this state before. We have so many useless elected offices...
I'm trying to remember who abolished the last office...
I think it was in education. Your continued faith in the "system", in spite of all that, is simply stunning. :D

Sesshomaru
11-06-2008, 05:53 PM
Excellent news.

heavenlyboy34
11-06-2008, 06:12 PM
your continued faith in the "system", in spite of all that, is simply stunning. :d

qft