PDA

View Full Version : What will it take to make Ron Paul a contender for 2012

ARobb
11-05-2008, 09:31 PM
Everybody is talking about who will jumpstart the Republican party again.

I'm hearing names like Jindal, Romney, Palin and the like. These people aren't conservative and that's why the GOP lost in this election.

Why aren't they mentioning Ron Paul who is gaining more and more support even after the Republican primaries are long over?

What do we have to do get our guy mentioned as the front-runner?

Tarabell952
11-05-2008, 09:37 PM
I agree. Until the Republican Party becomes conservative, they will likely lose elections. Unfortunately, I fear they will think they are losing because they aren't "left" enough and will keep moving further away from their conservative ideals, in the belief that the US has gone liberal.

BuddyRey
11-05-2008, 09:41 PM
I agree. Until the Republican Party becomes conservative, they will likely lose elections. Unfortunately, I fear they will think they are losing because they aren't "left" enough and will keep moving further away from their conservative ideals, in the belief that the US has gone liberal.

That's a great point. All I'm hearing from media pundits now is that Americans left the Republican Party because they're not a big enough tent. B.S.!!! They lost their supporters because the tent lost its moorings, and the party lost its principles!!!

orafi
11-05-2008, 09:43 PM
the heart and soul of the republican party

http://sportinggnomes.com/images/temple_of_doom_flaming-heart.jpg

KALI MAAAH!!!

Tarabell952
11-05-2008, 09:49 PM
That's a great point. All I'm hearing from media pundits now is that Americans left the Republican Party because they're not a big enough tent. B.S.!!! They lost their supporters because the tent lost its moorings, and the party lost its principles!!!

They're a party without conviction. They have no principles. No one even knows what they stand for anymore. Their candidate was promising to buy back people's mortgages at the price they are currently worth. I don't know in what backwards world that is conservative, but I do know that in this world they'll never get elected with platforms like that.

My father is a die-hard republican. He has voted for the Republican candidate in every single election for the last 30 years. This year he voted for Bob Barr, not because I convinced him to, but because he was so disillusioned with the Republican Party in general, and with John McCain in particular, that he could not bring himself to give them any support. I think that says a lot. When you have alienated your base, you have lost your foundation. And without a foundation, you will fall. Maybe when the republican party realizes that, they will put forth a candidate like Ron Paul, or someone who is at least conservative. Until then they will not win an election.

garyallen59
11-05-2008, 09:49 PM
What will it take to make Ron Paul a contender for 2012?

the fountain of youth.

ARobb
11-05-2008, 09:52 PM

Sean Hannity had a poll on his show tonight. 60% of the people polled thought the GOP had lost its' way and that's why they lost the election.

Only 9% said the GOP was too conservative. I don't think the country is moving left.

The Bush team was a disaster and the majority can't wait till he's finished. It had little to do with voters giving up on conservative principles.

Tarabell952
11-05-2008, 09:55 PM
Sean Hannity had a poll on his show tonight. 60% of the people polled thought the GOP had lost its' way and that's why they lost the election.

Only 9% said the GOP was too conservative. I don't think the country is moving left.

The Bush team was a disaster and the majority can't wait till he's finished. It had little to do with voters giving up on conservative principles.

I couldn't agree with you more. I don't think the people are becoming more liberal. I just worry that the Republicans will think that's what happened, and become more liberal. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe they'll find their way again, but right now I don't have too much faith.

ARobb
11-05-2008, 09:55 PM
the fountain of youth.

I agree but we need to do something big right after the election.

Something that gets the leaders of the GOP's attention and lets them know there is still a lot of support for Ron Paul and that we aren't going anywhere.

Anti Federalist
11-05-2008, 09:56 PM
What will it take to make Ron Paul a contender for 2012?

Same thing that keeps Henry Kissinger and Joan Rivers going...

Fetal Grindings.

C'mon, people, please.

I love the man, but for pete's sake, he'll be 76 pushing 77 with a great lady of a wife who is in poor health. At that point, running for president of this dog's breakfast of a mess will be the last thing he will want to do.

Anti Federalist
11-05-2008, 09:58 PM

I listened to Hannity on the radio today, just to see what the mouthpieces had to say.

Well, this newly self described "conservative in exile" was quick to point out the GOP failures and why they were crushed Tuesday.

Paraphrasing he said: "republicans (and by extension I'm assuming conservatives) must be the party of national security, they must be the party the realizes America's unique role in bringing freedom and democracy to the world". And so on.

He then, in the very next breath, said that the GOP must stand for the constitution and limited government.

Welcome to the FAILroad Mr. Hannity.

No where in the constitution does it give the authority to the government to be the "bringer of democracy" at gunpoint, to the world proper. Nowhere does it give the authority to establish a national security state. And nothing will grow the power and size of the state faster than endless war.

You cannot be in favor of global empire and claim to be a champion of the constitution and limited government at the same time.

The two are mutually exclusive and cannot be reconciled.

As has already been mentioned, the GOP had a choice: either stay true to it's principles and platform or choose empire and war.

They chose war.

And they were thrown out, vigorously.

Captain America
11-05-2008, 10:05 PM
this is the time to hold there change to the fire. what is the change? isn't the constitution the basis of America and freedom? ect..

LibertyEagle
11-05-2008, 10:05 PM
Hannity is such a tool.

mconder
11-05-2008, 10:09 PM
What will it take to make Ron Paul a contender for 2012

Ron Paul discovering the fountain of youth. Let's face it, he can't appear any older than he already does and be competitive against Obama in a world where youth is king. I have no problem with a 90 year old being my president as long as he is good and wise, but that's not what America wants...they want rock star glitz. We need to find another Ron Paul in a youthful rock star package.

Ninja Homer
11-05-2008, 10:11 PM
I agree but we need to do something big right after the election.

Something that gets the leaders of the GOP's attention and lets them know there is still a lot of support for Ron Paul and that we aren't going anywhere.

People need to get involved with local GOP. Let them know that you're a Ron Paul supporter, and show them that you're ready to work to get Republicans elected. GOP regulars now know that they have been lead in the wrong direction. They failed huge. When they see new blood joining their ranks, they will listen.

BuddyRey
11-05-2008, 10:16 PM

Ron Paul discovering the fountain of youth. Let's face it, he can't appear any older than he already does and be competitive against Obama in a world where youth is king. I have no problem with a 90 year old being my president as long as he is good and wise, but that's not what America wants...they want rock star glitz. We need to find another Ron Paul in a youthful rock star package.

Or help America readjust its priorities!

I'm 24 years old and I happen to believe that Barack Obama is way too young to be the President. The sooner America rediscovers respect for age, experience, and elder statesmen like Ron Paul, the sooner these flashy young greenhorns like Barack Obama will be shown up for the wet-behind-the-ears rascals they are! :D

Anti Federalist
11-05-2008, 10:25 PM
Hannity is such a tool.

LOL

And that avatar is now just, so, like...apropriate. :D

Mini-Me
11-05-2008, 10:48 PM
Or help America readjust its priorities!

I'm 24 years old and I happen to believe that Barack Obama is way too young to be the President. The sooner America rediscovers respect for age, experience, and elder statesmen like Ron Paul, the sooner these flashy young greenhorns like Barack Obama will be shown up for the wet-behind-the-ears rascals they are! :D

I wouldn't be too quick to say that, considering Ron Paul seems to be one of the only men of his age with pro-liberty ideals. ;) We may someday end up having to support our own rascals for President!

tonesforjonesbones
11-05-2008, 11:02 PM
Palin will be our next candidate. i've already heard them talking about her. She is a libertarian/conservative..and the neo cons ended up not liking her because she would not bend to them. The base loves her.

i am more concerned with 2010 and getting republicans elected on the local and state level. tones

BuddyRey
11-05-2008, 11:03 PM
I wouldn't be too quick to say that, considering Ron Paul seems to be one of the only men of his age with pro-liberty ideals. ;) We may someday end up having to support our own rascals for President!

Well if my grandmother is any indication, I'd say that you're probably (unfortunately) right about that! :(:(:(

I guess I won't say that Obama is too young to be President, but I'll definitely say that Ron Paul isn't too old, nor will he ever be, even if he lives to be 140!

I detested the ageism just as much when it was used against McCain. McCain's policies are enough to damn him in my eyes without bringing his advanced years into it! ;)

WRellim
11-06-2008, 01:25 AM

QFT.

I was just going to write the same "fountain of youth" thing.

Seriously folks, Ron did a minimum of campaigning this past year in part because it is AWFULLY wearing in a physical sense -- the constant travel (for months) the bad food, etc. -- this year he turned 73, by 2012, he'll be 77, and while he's in really good shape, that's pushing it a bit.

Besides, I think Ron's earned a slightly slower pace for his later years. The occasional speech or rally, fine, TV appearances, and writing ...great! But otherwise, just let him finish whatever years he wants as Congressman, and then he can be the "wise old adviser" to other (younger) people who can carry on the work.

Knightskye
11-06-2008, 01:32 AM
Botox?

Sheepdog11
11-06-2008, 01:46 AM
If "RON PAUL" is the answer to everything, then we're inherently doomed.

It's not about RON PAUL. It's about the MESSAGE that he happens to be a propagator of.

Guys, WE are the new "Ron Pauls"... if we, at the core of this movement, aren't picking up the slack then who the hell will?

We either need to be
1. Running for positions of power,
2. Supporting/funding those who are,
3. Sweeping the U.S. with the ideas that will PRODUCE countless more people in positions to change things.

What is NOT an option is sitting on a forum preaching to the choir.

StateofTrance
11-06-2008, 05:08 AM
I listened to Hannity on the radio today, just to see what the mouthpieces had to say.

Well, this newly self described "conservative in exile" was quick to point out the GOP failures and why they were crushed Tuesday.

Paraphrasing he said: "republicans (and by extension I'm assuming conservatives) must be the party of national security, they must be the party the realizes America's unique role in bringing freedom and democracy to the world". And so on.

He then, in the very next breath, said that the GOP must stand for the constitution and limited government.

Welcome to the FAILroad Mr. Hannity.

No where in the constitution does it give the authority to the government to be the "bringer of democracy" at gunpoint, to the world proper. Nowhere does it give the authority to establish a national security state. And nothing will grow the power and size of the state faster than endless war.

You cannot be in favor of global empire and claim to be a champion of the constitution and limited government at the same time.

As has already been mentioned, the GOP had a choice: either stay true to it's principles and platform or choose empire and war.

They chose war.

You just spoke the truth, sir..

moostraks
11-06-2008, 05:19 AM
Palin will be our next candidate. i've already heard them talking about her. She is a libertarian/conservative..and the neo cons ended up not liking her because she would not bend to them. The base loves her.

i am more concerned with 2010 and getting republicans elected on the local and state level. tones

:rolleyes: Palin is the candidate of choice for the neo-conservatives...

moostraks
11-06-2008, 05:21 AM

They chose war.

Absolutely true!!!! Thanks for saving me the time of typing this^

s35wf
11-06-2008, 08:17 AM

It's not about RON PAUL. It's about the MESSAGE that he happens to be a propagator of.

Guys, WE are the new "Ron Pauls"... if we, at the core of this movement, aren't picking up the slack then who the hell will?

We either need to be
3. Sweeping the U.S. with the ideas that will PRODUCE countless more people in positions to change things.

Emphasis on 1, 2, & 3 :) onward ronpaul soldiers. we lost this battle. we MUST win the War!
Next items on the agenda:
End the Fed.
Stop Real ID act!
Protest anything pertaining to the North American Union.
and get liberty candidates ready for 2010!

newyearsrevolution08
11-06-2008, 08:21 AM
We need a YOUNG patriot to run for president, well not young but in the 40+ area would be great...

Do we have any solid congressmen or women worth backing? Someone with actual previous experience because once obama destroys our country having ZERO experience, I think the "Change" speech won't fly as well next time without actual backup...

So the question is

Who are our liberty candidates for 2010 and especially who are we going to have run for the 2012 potus?

I would love for us to have candidates on the democratic and republican tickets though. We have a couple years to get things rolling in the right direction. Now will be the perfect time to get a ton of democrats on our side as well. Once their leader doesn't do an amazing job they MIGHT be open to ACTUAL change by going back to the constitution.. Doubt they will ever vote repub BUT in the end I can hope people might actually vote for the candidate + their stance on issues VERSUS voting for party or poll related reasons.

Pennsylvania
11-06-2008, 08:34 AM
//

newyearsrevolution08
11-06-2008, 08:46 AM
This thread does make a good point though. Who do we have for all of these positions that we need filled especially for the next President?

I know we could raise millions of dollars by election time, have a solid network of grassroots efforts building MORE grassroots supporters then when it is time we turn recruiting in the largest gotv effort ever known on American soil.

ARobb
11-06-2008, 09:10 AM

We either need to be

You are right. And the people who are bringing up his age have a good point too. At 77 would he really feel like doing this all over again. Probably not.

I just wish he could be our president one day. Not just for myself and the rest of his supporters, but for this country. I strongly believe Ron Paul is the only guy that can get this country back on track. Back to the constitution, and prospering once again.

But I guess we have to start looking somewhere else. Although it will be hard for me to support someone as strongly as I support Ron Paul if they don't mirror him 100%.

SnappleLlama
11-06-2008, 09:14 AM
Ron Paul doesn't necessarily have to be the next President. I just hope that a Ron Paul Republican/Libertarian/Democrat/Whatever runs in the next election, and allows Dr. Paul to play a key role in their administration (like Secretary of the Treasury, or something just as important).

mconder
11-06-2008, 09:19 AM
:rolleyes: Palin is the candidate of choice for the neo-conservatives...

Palin is an NWO pawn. To beat a rock star like Obama, you need a rock star.

Peace&Freedom
11-06-2008, 09:19 AM
I personally think Paul would still be able to run credibly in 2012, it's just that he's unlikely to choose to. The most encouraging thing about his run this past year (demographically) was his appeal to young supporters. It's a very encouraging sign that young activists looked past age and embraced the substance of Paul's message. The most important legacy of his run was the awakening of the Paul movement, a whole new generation of liberty supporters who can carry the ball from here, using the extensive legacy of speeches, articles, voting record and legislation Paul leaves to us as as a model for how to be a pro-constitution statesman.

Over the next two election cycles the goal should be to elect several Ron Paul Republicans and Democrats to office to be his successors, as well as to see how well one or both main parties can be infiltrated with Paulite reformers. The new Paulite congressmen should get in sooner rather than later so they can be sheperded and guided by Paul himself, and can build up their own solid voting record. Paul's campaign has shown three ways to break through the statist blackout---one, run a 3rd party principled candidacy within the two party system, two, circumvent the lack of visibility through the web and alternate media to build your grassroots base, and three, circumvent the lack of money that follows from the media blackout through grassroots fundraising blitzes or 'money bombs.' Local CfL groups can help field candidates from their ranks, or using vetting tools from the 2007-8 year (if the prospect says they are Paul-like, whip out the Paul slimjim and hear whether their views really match up to the positions listed).

A good beginning would be for Revolution candidates without resources to at least establish they are principled folks, by running for office on the LP or CP lines. Then use that learning and credibility building experience to run for the Dem or GOP nomination where there is a viable opening. If a open seat is emerging in an X-leaning district across town, the pro-liberty candidate should consider moving to that district in order to run a Paulite race for party X's nomination. If CfL cells exist in the general area they should serve as hubs for getting that candidate funding appropriate for winning the race (for Congress, this means hundreds of thousands or more, people). If we are serious, we can put 10-25 serious Paulites into major office by 2012.

libertarian4321
11-06-2008, 08:48 PM
the fountain of youth.

Yup. He's already said he wasn't going to do this again in '12, and I think age is a big part of it.