PDA

View Full Version : What now?

Mac_jam
11-05-2008, 12:07 PM
This thread could be for pretty much everyone.

I was not of age to vote in this years election, but I will be for the coming elections. What can I do to get more involved in the movement?

I know just a little about being a precienct leader, but it would be helpful if someone could explain what the entails.

And for everyone in this movement: What should we do now?

JaylieWoW
11-05-2008, 01:06 PM
Couldn't have said it better on my own so pardon me borrowing someone else's words. For the record, the first part has been echoed on Liberal & Conservative radio ALL DAY LONG! This is FAR from a win for the Democratic party! From a post to comments in the Mises.org blog:

#

Despite how the media will try to spin it, this wasn't a mandate for the Democrats; this was a mandate against the Republicans. The American public handed the reigns to the Democrats because the vast majority of them saw no other option.

This is where we have our work cut out for us.

No Presidential candidate ever delivers on even a fraction of his campaign promises. Obama will be no different. The irrational, emotional exuberance the American public feels for him will sour quickly once he fails to to get the economy "back on track".

When that happens, we have to be there. The American public needs to know that they have a choice between bankrupting our country by nation-building and bankrupting it by sweeping social entitlements. We need to explain what sound money is. We need to explain what the inflation tax is. We need to explain what fractional reserve banking is. We need to point people to mises.org.

I encourage all mises.org readers to sign up with the Campaign for Liberty and get involved.

Havax
11-05-2008, 01:29 PM
We need a candidate that:

- Supports gay marriage federally (not a single valid argument against gay marriage without invoking religion)
- States rights on abortion (best compromise)
- Repeal income, inflation, marriage tax and the 16th ammendment
- Abolish the IRS
- Abolish The Federal Reserve System (gradually)
- Abolish Department of Defense, Education, Homeland Security, Veteran Affairs
- Monetary system reform, newly backed-currency, etc
- Bring all troops home and end foreign bases
- End foreign alliances and embargos

Also, no ties to 9/11 truthers, racists, or radical churches.

How about Barry Goldwater Jr?

shuffleproshaq
11-05-2008, 01:35 PM
We need a candidate that:

- Supports gay marriage federally (not a single valid argument against gay marriage without invoking religion)
- States rights on abortion (best compromise)
- Repeal income, inflation, marriage tax and the 16th ammendment
- Abolish the IRS
- Abolish The Federal Reserve System (gradually)
- Abolish Department of Defense, Education, Homeland Security, Veteran Affairs
- Monetary system reform, newly backed-currency, etc
- Bring all troops home and end foreign bases
- End foreign alliances and embargos

Also, no ties to 9/11 truthers, racists, or radical churches.

How about Barry Goldwater Jr?

- Legalizes all drugs at the federal level
- Legalizes online gambling

JaylieWoW
11-05-2008, 02:54 PM
- Legalizes all drugs at the federal level
- Legalizes online gambling

Had a rather promising conversation with my sister-n-law regarding the legalization of drugs. Last year we were in the car together and she was trying to figure out why I liked Ron Paul so much or why I had started believing what I believed and what was it exactly that I did believe.

When I mentioned that I thought all drugs should be legal (including heretofore prescription only drugs), she said I was crazy. I told her I didn't believe legalizing or drugs would have much (if any) impact on creating new addicts. She again thought I was crazy.

Just this past weekend she told me she'd rethought her stance. Partially, I believe, because she now works for a law office that specializes in personal injury kinds of stuff. She didn't indicate any pattern or cases that had made her change her mind, but that's the only change in her life I can imagine might have been an impact. She now believes almost all prescription drugs (including narcotics) should be available over the counter (including medical and personal use marijuana, for the record she does not smoke marijuana.)

I believe there is a great deal of hope to change people's minds and four years is at least a little more time to do so. Especially while the pressure of picking one side over the other, rather than coming to ones own conclusion, is a MUCH better and manageable environment in which to do so.