PDA

View Full Version : By the way, this wasn't a landslide.

klamath
11-05-2008, 11:43 AM
It was a sound defeat for the republicans but it was not a landslide. 6% win is not a landslide. Electoral college wise it was a big margin but still not a landslide. Take a look at LBJ and FDR s victory or Reagans victories if you want the definition of a landslide. Anyone calling it a landslide is trying to pump more steam into Obama's agenda. Next time you hear the words landslide come out of someones mouth it means they are trying to push a hard leftist position.

ShowMeLiberty
11-05-2008, 11:46 AM
it was a sound defeat for the republicans but it was not a landslide. 6% win is not a landslide. Electoral college wise it was a big margin but still not a landslide. Take a look at lbj and fdr s victory or reagans victories if you want the definition of a landslide. Anyone calling it a landslide is trying to pump more steam into obama's agenda. Next time you hear the words landslide come out of someones mouth it means they are trying to push a hard leftist position.

qft.

tnvoter
11-05-2008, 12:04 PM
Well said.

georgiaboy
11-05-2008, 12:23 PM
I wondered about that when I was using the term last night. It felt like the land was slipping beneath my feet, but on reflection, and looking at the numbers, specifically the popular votes, it really wasn't an overwhelming percentage win for the presidency or any of the congressional positions.

This is actually great news for us. R's were handed deserved losses for their failure to actually do what they were sent to DC to do. But all is not lost. The road to liberty can be gained.

CUnknown
11-05-2008, 02:02 PM
I agree. I thought the margin would be much higher, honestly. But I also thought that 3rd parties would get a much higher percentage of the vote, too. I am really surprised at the right-wing, how loyal to McCain and the Republicans they are. I knew the left was hopeless this time around, starry-eyed Obamamaniacs, but the right I really thought would vote for Barr and/or Baldwin in much higher numbers. Could be the Palin factor. I think she may have preserved the integrity of the Republican party, single-handedly. She gave the religious right and the libertarian-ish-minded a reason to vote McCain.

klamath
11-05-2008, 03:51 PM
I wondered about that when I was using the term last night. It felt like the land was slipping beneath my feet, but on reflection, and looking at the numbers, specifically the popular votes, it really wasn't an overwhelming percentage win for the presidency or any of the congressional positions.

This is actually great news for us. R's were handed deserved losses for their failure to actually do what they were sent to DC to do. But all is not lost. The road to liberty can be gained.

I am still a little worried about the senate numbers but for the hype of the popularity of Obama and the love the MSM had for him those margins are not that big. As bad a Bush and the GOP f***** the R party Obama didn't get a huge mandate.

slothman
11-05-2008, 05:31 PM
It was a sound defeat for the republicans but it was not a landslide. 6% win is not a landslide. Electoral college wise it was a big margin but still not a landslide. Take a look at LBJ and FDR s victory or Reagans victories if you want the definition of a landslide. Anyone calling it a landslide is trying to pump more steam into Obama's agenda. Next time you hear the words landslide come out of someones mouth it means they are trying to push a hard leftist position.

What number of EC votes makes it a landslide?
Yeah it might not over 500 for 1980 but it still is big.
It looks like a landslide to me.

angelatc
11-05-2008, 05:45 PM
I looked at the map of the Reagan win and it was very, very red. Obama's map wasn't nearly as blue.

coyote_sprit
11-05-2008, 05:48 PM
George Sr. and Nixon were also landslides.

klamath
11-05-2008, 05:59 PM
What number of EC votes makes it a landslide?
Yeah it might not over 500 for 1980 but it still is big.
It looks like a landslide to me.

Look at an electoral map of 1984,1980,1972, 1964 1936 and 1932. Now when was the last time you heard any state or local election where the winner won by 6% points called a landslide?

RonPaulNewbee
11-05-2008, 06:17 PM
Ed Rollins (Republican Strategist) said last night that a landslide is 320 electoral votes or more. Right now, it looks like Obama's got 349. So, yes Virginia, it was a landslide.

coyote_sprit
11-05-2008, 06:53 PM
A landslide in my opinion is when your opponent is in double digits.

inibo
11-05-2008, 07:08 PM
Based on some very preliminary numbers I saw floating around today Obama on about 25% of eligible voters.

No sources other than a couple of quick web searches, but I found that there were 231.2 million eligible voters. Obama got 57.2 million votes.

Think about that: 75% of the US electorate either voted for someone else or no one at all.

klamath
11-05-2008, 07:27 PM
Ed Rollins (Republican Strategist) said last night that a landslide is 320 electoral votes or more. Right now, it looks like Obama's got 349. So, yes Virginia, it was a landslide.

And no virginia it wasn't. Check out what Reagan's numbers were.