PDA

View Full Version : So much for the internet helping to educate people

RevolutionSD
11-05-2008, 09:30 AM
When I joined the R3VOLution back in May of 2007, I declared that because the internet is far more pervasive than it was even 4 years ago, and people are able to get educated like never before, Paul has a shot.

What happened was the opposite.

The MSM even has a lockhold on the internet. You coulcn't go anywhere online in the past few months without seeing all kinds of crap on McCain and Obama. Most people think they either vote for one of those two or don't vote. Obama mania was FUELED by the internet, even though not ONE Obama supporter that I talked to could articulate how he was any different or how exactly he was going to improve things.

This sucks. What is it going to take. They will blame this recession on Bush and the "free market", and we'll get Obama for 8 years, sinking the country, and then we'll really have a dictator step in.

acptulsa
11-05-2008, 09:36 AM
Ever try getting a letter to the editor published? Ever print and distribute your own newsletter?

I've been a libertarian since possibly before you were born, and I have to wonder if you'd even know what the word means if it weren't for the 'net. That said, the 'net isn't the 'education tool' depicted in the classic Star Trek episode Dagger of the Mind. It's the best tool a libertarian-minded educator ever had, imo. But it ain't God and don't do miracles...

angelatc
11-05-2008, 09:43 AM
I was listening to an analysis of Obama's campaign last night. He basically took Howard Dean's internet activism and built off of it.

mrd
11-05-2008, 09:48 AM
Bullshit. Bull fucking shit.

Ron Paul owned the damned internet, look where it landed him in the Primaries.

TV is the god of the sheep, and every damn time I turned on CNN, Fox News, or MSNBC for the past few months I heard something about Obama or McCain. It's the networks, it's the damned TV.

If it wasn't for TV, people would be scrambling for someone to guide them and show them what to do. Sheep.

JK/SEA
11-05-2008, 09:52 AM

TV is the god of the sheep, and every damn time I turned on CNN, Fox News, or MSNBC for the past few months I heard something about Obama or McCain. It's the networks, it's the damned TV.

If it wasn't for TV, people would be scrambling for someone to guide them and show them what to do. Sheep.

This statement should be carved in stone and placed over the Jefferson Memorial.

Pete
11-05-2008, 10:03 AM

Absolutely right.

I've been thinking a lot about C4L, and I'm convinced that we need our people to be working their precincts like the mob in old New York, establishing personal relationships with everyone, and bypassing the MSM.

gilliganscorner
11-05-2008, 10:07 AM
When I joined the R3VOLution back in May of 2007, I declared that because the internet is far more pervasive than it was even 4 years ago, and people are able to get educated like never before, Paul has a shot.

What happened was the opposite.

The MSM even has a lockhold on the internet. You coulcn't go anywhere online in the past few months without seeing all kinds of crap on McCain and Obama. Most people think they either vote for one of those two or don't vote. Obama mania was FUELED by the internet, even though not ONE Obama supporter that I talked to could articulate how he was any different or how exactly he was going to improve things.

This sucks. What is it going to take. They will blame this recession on Bush and the "free market", and we'll get Obama for 8 years, sinking the country, and then we'll really have a dictator step in.

Change is slow.

Look, there a a few things I would like you to consider.

1) Youtube. Remember the SC debate, where that piece of contemptible garbage, Carl Cameron, tried to make a mockery of RP's "electability"?

So you’re suggesting that I’m not electable and the Republicans don’t want me because I’m a strict fiscal conservative, because I believe in civil liberties? Why should we not be defending civil liberties and why should we not be talking about foreign policy that used to be the part of the Republican Party? Mr. Republican Robert Taft didn’t even want us to be in NATO and you’re saying now that we have to continue to borrow money from China to finance this empire that we can’t afford? Let me see if I get this right. We need to borrow $10 billion from China, and then we give it to Musharraf, who is a military dictator, who overthrew an elected government. And then we go to war, we lose all these lives promoting democracy in Iraq. I mean, what’s going on here?

I would have never known that Ron Paul said that, as I was working, and planned to catch the rebroadcast the next day. They edited Paul's response out. Youtube allowed me to see it. Youtube allowed me to see GOP delegates being railroaded. Blackbox.org following the ballot trail and fraud.

2) Money bombs. Widgets that counted the money as it poured in and encouraged all of us that indeed, we were real, we put our money where our mouth is, and watched that freaking counter go through the roof? It only encouraged us to donate more.

3) The STAGGERING wealth of information on the web. mises.org, lewrockwell.com, the forums, meetup groups. People promoting the message of many many intellectuals. Do you understand how many books I have read based on the suggestion of others? Giants like Hayek, Mises, Bastiat, and a shitload of others my government indoctrination camps called "public education" deprived me of attempting to lobotomize my critical thinking skills? It worked...for a while. No more.

Finally, the MOST valuable thing?

I discovered that YOU exist. I am not alone, and we rallied behind Ron Paul's message. We found our voices. We spoke up. We marched. We chanted we are "Not just the Internet!" when we physically gathered. Estimated value of that? Priceless.

Yes, there are a massive number of lemmings out there. Mainstream owns most of the collective conscience and shapes their world. Remember Ron Paul's run in 1988? Neither do I. Why? Because mainstream was the only mechanism to get his message out there and they bottled it, I am sure. It will take a generation or two for most of us to realize, "Hey. Mainstream isn't credible. Fuck 'em." Because of the Internet, we know different. We know better. We woke up.

And we are just getting started.

Sorry if I am sounding preachy, but I think there are a number of people out there that feel the same way.

Truth Warrior
11-05-2008, 10:08 AM
Well if folks won't/can't read, there ARE the videos. :p :rolleyes:

azminuteman
11-05-2008, 10:18 AM

When TV goes Digital, the airwaves formerly used for that bandwidth will be opened up without prejudice.
Unfortunately, only resourceful tech heads will be able to use that spectrum because "if it's not on cable, it's not on TV" and you can't get a new TV that receives VHF/UHF.

AdamT
11-05-2008, 10:22 AM

+850 billion

MRoCkEd
11-05-2008, 10:25 AM
Ron Paul didn't run one TV ad in my state. I wouldn't have known who he was if it wasn't for the internet. The C4L NEEDS to saturate the TV!!!!

gilliganscorner
11-05-2008, 10:25 AM
BTW,

I have turned off the TV and radio - except for traffic reports - it's the only useful thing mainstream has to offer.

What do I do now? I bought an iPod and put audio books and podcasts from Lew Rockwell, Alex Jones, presentations from the likes G. Edward Griffin.

My brain is thanking me.

JK/SEA
11-05-2008, 10:33 AM
i missed dancing with the stars for this crap?

when does american idol start, and is paris hilton gonna run in 2012?

where's my remote?

RonPaulNewbee
11-05-2008, 10:38 AM
Change is slow.

Look, there a a few things I would like you to consider.

1) Youtube. Remember the SC debate, where that piece of contemptible garbage, Carl Cameron, tried to make a mockery of RP's "electability"?

I would have never known that Ron Paul said that, as I was working, and planned to catch the rebroadcast the next day. They edited Paul's response out. Youtube allowed me to see it. Youtube allowed me to see GOP delegates being railroaded. Blackbox.org following the ballot trail and fraud.

2) Money bombs. Widgets that counted the money as it poured in and encouraged all of us that indeed, we were real, we put our money where our mouth is, and watched that freaking counter go through the roof? It only encouraged us to donate more.

3) The STAGGERING wealth of information on the web. mises.org, lewrockwell.com, the forums, meetup groups. People promoting the message of many many intellectuals. Do you understand how many books I have read based on the suggestion of others? Giants like Hayek, Mises, Bastiat, and a shitload of others my government indoctrination camps called "public education" deprived me of attempting to lobotomize my critical thinking skills? It worked...for a while. No more.

Finally, the MOST valuable thing?

I discovered that YOU exist. I am not alone, and we rallied behind Ron Paul's message. We found our voices. We spoke up. We marched. We chanted we are "Not just the Internet!" when we physically gathered. Estimated value of that? Priceless.

Yes, there are a massive number of lemmings out there. Mainstream owns most of the collective conscience and shapes their world. Remember Ron Paul's run in 1988? Neither do I. Why? Because mainstream was the only mechanism to get his message out there and they bottled it, I am sure. It will take a generation or two for most of us to realize, "Hey. Mainstream isn't credible. Fuck 'em." Because of the Internet, we know different. We know better. We woke up.

And we are just getting started.

Sorry if I am sounding preachy, but I think there are a number of people out there that feel the same way.

Okay, let's get something straight. Gillian is right. Change is slow. Obama is President-elect because of a 40 year effort on the part of blacks. I didn't know about Ron Paul back in 88. I've since been educated. This is what needs to happen. A 40 year plan. Ron Paul got MAJOR visibility by running this time as a Republican. I don't like the result (and I looked for ways to vote for him here in MD, yesterday:) but his vision and agenda made MAJOR inroads to the public psyche. We need to take what we've learned and pay it forward. Not be negative, but educative. People aren't always going to agree. I don't even agree completely.

No, Gillian, you are not sounding preachy, you hit exactly the right tone. I hope you stick around and continue being one of the educators.

gilliganscorner
11-05-2008, 10:54 AM
Okay, let's get something straight. Gillian is right. Change is slow. Obama is President-elect because of a 40 year effort on the part of blacks. I didn't know about Ron Paul back in 88. I've since been educated. This is what needs to happen. A 40 year plan. Ron Paul got MAJOR visibility by running this time as a Republican. I don't like the result (and I looked for ways to vote for him here in MD, yesterday:) but his vision and agenda made MAJOR inroads to the public psyche. We need to take what we've learned and pay it forward. Not be negative, but educative. People aren't always going to agree. I don't even agree completely.

No, Gillian, you are not sounding preachy, you hit exactly the right tone. I hope you stick around and continue being one of the educators.

Sure. As long as you never call me Gillian again. :p

H Roark
11-05-2008, 11:17 AM
The real point here is that the information is out there and easily accessible by the masses. All it takes for someone to be informed is log-on and do a little surfing. THERE IS NO EXCUSE FOR SOMEONE WITH INTERNET ACCESS TO NOT BE INFORMED.

RonPaulNewbee
11-05-2008, 07:07 PM
Oh! Sorry about that, Corner!