PDA

View Full Version : How did Third Party Candidates do?

Todd
11-05-2008, 08:17 AM
Does anyone have links to show how Barr, Baldwin, Nader and McKinney faired?
The main networks only have numbers on the major candidates.

I'm not convinced this country really wants change until we have a viable third option.

Elwar
11-05-2008, 08:18 AM
They lost.

Todd
11-05-2008, 08:19 AM
They lost.

pacelli
11-05-2008, 08:21 AM
All third parties & write-ins combined tallied around 1.5 million popular votes and 0 electoral votes.

Barr: 481,418

Baldwin: 172,071

Nader: 643,236

McKinney: 139,853

Ron Paul: 19,285

http://hosted.ap.org/specials/election_night_2008/election_map_premium/index.html?SITE=MASPDELN

http://news.aol.com/elections/2008/president#presResults

Richie
11-05-2008, 08:22 AM
With 96% reporting, here are the vote totals:

Ralph Nader: 643,236
Bob Barr: 481,418
Chuck Baldwin: 172,071
Cynthia McKinney: 139,853

Source: http://news.aol.com/elections/2008/president

Truth Warrior
11-05-2008, 08:31 AM
All third parties & write-ins combined tallied around 1.5 million popular votes and 0 electoral votes.

Barr: 481,418

Baldwin: 172,071

Nader: 643,236

McKinney: 139,853

Ron Paul: 19,285

http://hosted.ap.org/specials/election_night_2008/election_map_premium/index.html?SITE=MASPDELN

http://news.aol.com/elections/2008/president#presResults

Whoop-de-doo! :rolleyes: <YAWN!>

Thanks for the info. :)

Todd
11-05-2008, 08:33 AM

Not very encouraging. sigh :(

nate4ron
11-05-2008, 08:34 AM
Too many people chose NOT to vote, which I thought was incredibly pointless, since this year turned out to have a record breaking number of votes.

In other words: YOUR "NON-VOTES" ARE NOT NOTICED WHEN YOU COULD HAVE VOTED FOR THIRD-PARTY INSTEAD. :rolleyes:

Truth Warrior
11-05-2008, 08:40 AM
Too many people chose NOT to vote, which I thought was incredibly pointless, since this year turned out to have a record breaking number of votes.

In other words: YOUR "NON-VOTES" ARE NOT NOTICED WHEN YOU COULD HAVE VOTED FOR THIRD-PARTY INSTEAD. :rolleyes: Sorry, validating and legitimizing a corrupt, barbaric and evil tyrannical system in any way just seems to have lost a lot of it's appeal for me. :D

Andrew-Austin
11-05-2008, 08:41 AM
So much for promoting the libertarian party huh.

Sorry, validating and legitimizing a corrupt, barbaric and evil tyrannical system in any way just seems to have lost a lot of it's appeal for me.

You know, you didn't even have to say anything. A simple "HI" would have sufficed while quoting Nate. We all know what you are going to say before hand.

Bill M DC
11-05-2008, 08:43 AM
I voted for Bob Barr

brandon
11-05-2008, 08:43 AM

Barr did about the same as Badnarik did in '04.

I think it's hilarious that some weak kneed members of the LP decided to completely divide the party and sacrifice almost all of the party's principle and integrity to nominate someone that could barely even outperform Badnarik.

lol

Truth Warrior
11-05-2008, 08:48 AM

You know, you didn't even have to say anything. A simple "HI" would have sufficed while quoting Nate. We all know what you are going to say before hand. And if I'd just said a simple, "Hi", YOU'D have freaked out about that too. :p

Get a life! :rolleyes:

nate4ron
11-05-2008, 08:54 AM
Sorry, validating and legitimizing a corrupt, barbaric and evil tyrannical system in any way just seems to have lost a lot of it's appeal for me. :D

But those "I refuse to vote" non-votes will not be noticed by anyone: not the people, not the politicians, and not the higher-ups.

So what kind of statement did you really make?

It was a record number of votes, and the only message they got was that "Wow! More people joined the system!"

Yet all those non-votes could have at least sent a message as a protest.

Andrew-Austin
11-05-2008, 09:11 AM
And if I'd just said a simple, "Hi", YOU'D have freaked out about that too. :p

Get a life! :rolleyes:

Freak out? Haha you wish, its just amusing pointing out how much of a drone you are.

Get a life? Kiddo you have over 11 thousand posts that all say the same exact thing. Get the fuck out of here.

You want to know what my problem with you is? No you don't, but I'll say it anyways. I actually empathize with your philosophy perspective, its just your mindless irrational spammer behavior which annoys me. The fact that there is a libertarian/anarchist running around out there acting like a looney toon is just too difficult to stomache. You do spend a lot of time trying to convince others of your philosophy, but you seem to be completely oblivious that if you act like a looney toon - its actually counter-productive to your cause. We'd all like to run around shouting "no shepherds!" and "listen to Lew Rockwell" but it would accomplish nothing, and might actually turn people away.

Truth Warrior
11-05-2008, 09:21 AM
Freak out? Haha you wish, its just amusing pointing out how much of a drone you are.

Get a life? Kiddo you have over 11 thousand posts that all say the same exact thing. Get the fuck out of here.

You want to know what my problem with you is? No you don't, but I'll say it anyways. I actually empathize with your philosophy perspective, its just your mindless irrational spammer behavior which annoys me. The fact that there is a libertarian/anarchist running around out there acting like a looney toon is just too difficult to stomache. You do spend a lot of time trying to convince others of your philosophy, but you seem to be completely oblivious that if you act like a looney toon - its actually counter-productive to your cause. We'd all like to run around shouting "no shepherds!" and "listen to Lew Rockwell" but it would accomplish nothing, and might actually turn people away.

Thanks for your typical less than worthless post contribution and new additional OFF TOPIC thread bump.

RevolutionSD
11-05-2008, 09:26 AM

Wow, after all that shit talk defending Barr's compromises and how he's going to get 6% of the vote he couldn't even muster up what Harry Browne got.

Can we finally declare the Libertarian Party dead???

Truth Warrior
11-05-2008, 09:29 AM
But those "I refuse to vote" non-votes will not be noticed by anyone: not the people, not the politicians, and not the higher-ups.

So what kind of statement did you really make?

It was a record number of votes, and the only message they got was that "Wow! More people joined the system!"

Yet all those non-votes could have at least sent a message as a protest. Pssst, neither will 3rd party votes. Nobody really gives a shit. ;)

Truth Warrior
11-05-2008, 09:32 AM
Wow, after all that shit talk defending Barr's compromises and how he's going to get 6% of the vote he couldn't even muster up what Harry Browne got.

Can we finally declare the Libertarian Party dead??? Oh, it's just been bumping along like this for about 37 years now. Let it be. :rolleyes:

Todd
11-05-2008, 10:13 AM

You know what Andrew. Your right on. I know this sounds stupid...but I've been real skeptical of just about anybody that joined this forum after the Money bomb in 07. I've noticed alot of these kinds after the Dec 07 time frame. The ones that came here to begin with were looking for a change and many that came later were looking for attention. Just my observation.

Truth Warrior
11-05-2008, 10:20 AM
You know what Andrew. Your right on. I know this sounds stupid...but I've been real skeptical of just about anybody that joined this forum after the Money bomb in 07. I've noticed alot of these kinds after the Dec 07 time frame. The ones that came here to begin with were looking for a change and many that came later were looking for attention. Just my observation. FYI ......
As a very long time Ron Paul fan, I'd just been lurking here for several months prior to joining in.

Just so ya know. ;)

nate4ron
11-05-2008, 11:10 AM
Pssst, neither will 3rd party votes. Nobody really gives a shit. ;)

Elaborate. I explained why an absent vote is meaningless and will not be registered during an election with a record number of votes.

Now, let me hear your rationale, please?

jonhowe
11-05-2008, 11:21 AM
FYI ......
As a very long time Ron Paul fan, I'd just been lurking here for several months prior to joining in.

Just so ya know. ;)

Did you vote for him?

I hope not, that'd validate voting!

Truth Warrior
11-05-2008, 11:28 AM
Elaborate. I explained why an absent vote is meaningless and will not be registered during an election with a record number of votes.

Now, let me hear your rationale, please? I did. What part did you miss? Perhaps my answer was just too simple for you. :rolleyes:

I'll try again. WHO CARES?

You played their corrupt game again and got counted. They got ya. :rolleyes:

"The system is corrupt, beyond redemption, and is not worthy of my support!"

Bradley in DC
11-05-2008, 12:09 PM
state by state comparisons with four years ago

http://www.nolanchart.com/article5394.html

Truth Warrior
11-05-2008, 12:13 PM
Did you vote for him?

I hope not, that'd validate voting! Nope, I'm consistent.

Paulitician
11-05-2008, 12:16 PM
Ah, the fringe folks from the Green, Independent, Libertarian and the Constitution party (as well as the anarchist anti-voters) are the only people I know. Ironically, there's a certain solace being completely out of the mainstream...

heavenlyboy34
11-05-2008, 12:58 PM
Oh, it's just been bumping along like this for about 37 years now. Let it be. :rolleyes:

Thanx, TW. That's mighty nice of ya. :)

Truth Warrior
11-05-2008, 01:01 PM
Thanx, TW. That's mighty nice of ya. :) But I still want the libertarian name back from the statists. GRRRRR! ;) Maybe "GOP-lite" is available. :D

Truth-Bringer
11-05-2008, 02:09 PM
Not very encouraging. sigh :(

No, it's not, but of course if you put Ron Paul in John McCain's place, he would have gotten all of McCain's votes and more. People are just brainwashed into voting in the two party system and voting by party affiliation.

RickyJ
11-05-2008, 02:16 PM

No, there was not a record breaking number of votes this election. There were more in 2004 believe it or not. The record breaking part only came from blacks, but overall more people voted in 2004 than this year.

tpreitzel
11-05-2008, 02:17 PM
People are just brainwashed into voting in the two party system and voting by party affiliation.

I agree with an additional comment. People are basically lazy and irresponsible. Having a letter representing a particular party next to a candidate's name just makes it easier for the voter to be lazy and irresponsible. In other words, let the political machine do your thinking for you. ;)

Todd
11-05-2008, 03:45 PM
I agree with an additional comment. People are basically lazy and irresponsible. Having a letter representing a particular party next to a candidate's name just makes it easier for the voter to be lazy and irresponsible. In other words, let the political machine do your thinking for you. ;)

I read a recent Time article describing the 4 types of voters and that about sums up many. Let somebody else do the leg work (like the NRA or Greenpeace) and trust them to help you make a choice

Of course Time didn't weigh in on whether this is healthy or not. They don't make value judgements on anything important.

tpreitzel
11-05-2008, 04:39 PM
I read a recent Time article describing the 4 types of voters and that about sums up many. Let somebody else do the leg work (like the NRA or Greenpeace) and trust them to help you make a choice

Of course Time didn't weigh in on whether this is healthy or not. They don't make value judgements on anything important.

Right. If we are going to make any appreciable headway in restoring constitutional liberty, we have to identify these organizations and gain access to their membership. Actually, we need to start a section on RPFs where these special interest groups are identified along with their political bent.

LJHudd
11-05-2008, 04:43 PM
Wow - Ron Paul got more votes in 1988 as the Libertarian Candidate than Bob Barr in 2008. (I think RP got over 500,000 back then)

dr. hfn
11-05-2008, 11:43 PM
How did Ron Paul do?

Young Paleocon
11-06-2008, 12:12 AM
I actually don't think all of the absentee and write-in votes have been tallied, so Baldwin and Paul's numbers may be significantly higher (by which I mean a few thousand hopefully in the tens of thousands), so I would check over the next couple days to see.