PDA

View Full Version : CA Prop 8 To Pass? :( :( :( :( :(

AbolishTheGovt
11-05-2008, 12:00 AM
Come ON, California! You're supposed to be the most liberal state, EVER!

How could you let the ban on gay marriage pass?!????

:( :( :( :( :( :(

AdamT
11-05-2008, 12:03 AM
Which Prop was the high speed rail?

Theocrat
11-05-2008, 12:04 AM
Keep marriage between one man and one woman, the way God instituted it. By the way, the State has no right to legalize nor regulate marriage, anyway.

sevin
11-05-2008, 12:06 AM
really? I just don't understand the issue with gay marriage. If men and women are equal, then a man & a man, a man & a woman, a woman & a woman, should be treated equally.

I'm not gay, I don't have any gay friends, but...well...who cares if they want to get married? If they want to suffer as much as the rest of us do, let them!

tremendoustie
11-05-2008, 12:08 AM
Keep marriage between one man and one woman, the way God instituted it. By the way, the State has no right to legalize nor regulate marriage, anyway.

Yeah, I abstained. I felt like voting for it was voting to take away gay people's rights, and voting against it was voting to take away the rights of all those who define marriage differently.

The state should not be defining what is a moral status, they should treat us all as individuals. I disagree with the premise of the law, the supreme court ruling, and the proposed amendment.

Paulitician
11-05-2008, 12:09 AM
Has it passed? That sucks, hahaha

God Schmod! Although I do believe the government shouldn't be involved with marriage at all, which of course would make gay marriage possible.

Kludge
11-05-2008, 12:11 AM
Who cares? I can legally grow marijuana (not that I want to...) after Michigan's prop 1 is enacted :D

muh_roads
11-05-2008, 12:14 AM
Keep marriage between one man and one woman, the way God instituted it.

You can't be an advocate for freedom and the constitution while trying to limit someone elses freedom.

blocks
11-05-2008, 12:29 AM
You can't be an advocate for freedom and the constitution while trying to limit someone elses freedom.

Yep...Someone's freedom to enter into what essentially amounts to a contract. The government is to protect the sanctity of a contract, not pick and choose which among us are able to enter into one.

I voted against Prop 8 and I'm surprised that it looks to be on its way to passing.

tremendoustie
11-05-2008, 12:39 AM
Yep...Someone's freedom to enter into what essentially amounts to a contract. The government is to protect the sanctity of a contract, not pick and choose which among us are able to enter into one.

I voted against Prop 8 and I'm surprised that it looks to be on its way to passing.

The problem is, they call it marriage, a concept that's been around for millenia. I wouldn't vote for prop 8 either, as I described, but the alternative is an abuse of power also.

If they called it the "joint taxation and custody contract" I'd be all for it. Better yet, they should just treat us as individuals.

LibertiORDeth
11-05-2008, 12:42 AM
Exactly.

tremendoustie
11-05-2008, 12:45 AM

These two statements are contradictory, unless you mean that the government should get out of marriage entirely, at which point you will personally choose to support the traditional definition of marriage in your own life.

Alawn
11-05-2008, 01:07 AM
Which Prop was the high speed rail?

As of now with only 36% reporting 1A the high speed rail ($10 billion plus another $10 billion in interest) is passing, 2 the peta stupid restrictive rules about how farms keep animals is passing, 3 the childrens hospital one ($1 billion plus another $1 billion in interest) is passing, 4 the parental notification for a minor's abortions one is not passing, 5 the nonviolent drug offense decriminalization one is not passing, 8 the ban on same sex marriage is passing, and 12 the veterans bond act ($900 million plus another $900 million in interest) is passing

Josh_LA
11-05-2008, 01:15 AM
Come ON, California! You're supposed to be the most liberal state, EVER!

How could you let the ban on gay marriage pass?!????

:( :( :( :( :( :(

I won't say CA is liberal as much as it's STUPID.

Cinderella
11-05-2008, 08:57 AM
good im glad the gays cant marry.....its between a man and a woman and it needs to stay that way...marriage is a religion thing and i have yet to find any religions that supports gays

angelatc
11-05-2008, 09:14 AM
good im glad the gays cant marry.....its between a man and a woman and it needs to stay that way...marriage is a religion thing and i have yet to find any religions that supports gays

There are plenty of gay churches. Like the above said, the state shouldn't be involved in marriage.

Your church should be free to define it anyway they choose.

tremendoustie
11-05-2008, 09:16 AM

So the state should use it's power to enforce that no one gets married except those the church approves of? The state should get out of the way, and let people and churches do and support what they will.

It is wrong to use coercive force to impose social and moral definitions.