PDA

View Full Version : On the election and its impact on the GOP (there is hope!)

pebcak
11-04-2008, 10:42 PM
With tonight's results, there is no question: the Republican party got slaughtered. The American people are obviously fed up with the kind of government we've had these past eight years and wanted something different. But if we look at the presidential race this year, there is a lot a to be said about where the country has been and where it may be going in the future.

Obama's campaign seemed to stir up feelings among the younger voters, who in the past have been reluctant to vote at all. Certainly most were not happy with the way things have been, and the call for "change" spoke to the hearts of many. In the past it was mostly the senior vote which swayed elections, but this time the call to action throughout younger voters to get out and vote seems to be unprecedented.

Meanwhile the McCain campaign, at least on the surface, represented too much of what we've already been through, and that is war, lies, and aggression. Personally, I never thought he had much of a chance when I saw how fervent Obama's supporters were, while McCain supporters have been somewhat lackluster.

I think everyone can agree that the Republican party has transformed a great deal since Reagan was in office. Much of this can be attributed to George W. Bush, but also to the years the Republicans held a majority in Congress. The party swayed away from the ideas of smaller government, less spending, and setting a good example for other nations follow. Instead we were left with illegal and unjustified wars, trillions of dollars of deficit spending, increased inflation of the dollar, violations of the Constitution, and the loss of respect from other nations.

I hold to my belief that the Republicans could have won this election at one point, but not by nominating McCain. There was a time when voters who were previously Democrats were going out and registering as Republicans. There was a time when independent voters were uniting under a single candidate. There was a time when young voters were being drawn into politics for the first time and actually caring about it for the first time in their lives.

What could have done such a thing? It was the call for liberty. The call for freedom, peace, and prosperity. The idea that we can all live our own lives the way we want, without the government telling us what to do, or how much of our money we can keep. It was the notion that rather than moving our troops from nation to nation, we could have them come home and protect our borders, while we promote democracy by setting a good example for the rest of the world. It was the concept of individuality, not collectivism, and that one should be rewarded by the fruits of his labor.

There was only one candidate brave enough to speak of such crazy ideas: Ron Paul. But for some reason he was shunned by the media, and shunned by his own party. The Republicans would have none of it, and in doing so they rejected any new blood into their party and decided to "stay the course." Many who were desperate for something different rejected this and began looking elsewhere, heeding the call for change, and finding it in Obama.

The Republican party has suffered dearly for this, and it has lost its identity. Had McCain won this election, the Republicans would have likely continued their journey away from the right and toward the middle, continuing their support of big government and war at any cost. Now they must make a choice: continue down this path, leaderless and into oblivion, or start growing back its roots and become what it once was. The party is now on life support and needs an infusion of new blood. Some of us are still here, calling for liberty, peace, and prosperity, and we will do what it takes to resuscitate this lifeless being, but the party must be willing to change.

Freedom is popular, but it must always be fought for. As Thomas Jefferson once said, "experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny." Freedom, once obtained, will naturally fade away. There is a growing populous throughout this country who are hearing these things for the first time, and they do not want to sit idle while government goes down its natural path of progression. There is indeed a movement afoot and it is growing -- the Campaign for Liberty.

Will you join me in this effort? Please visit www.campaignforliberty.com to get involved. We all want hope and change, but the wants and desires of millions cannot be satisfied by the personal political policies of a single man. The only thing that can truly bring us all together is freedom!