PDA

View Full Version : I think we should focus our efforts on ONE state

Nate K
11-04-2008, 10:15 PM
New Hampshire.

I'm with you 2010 people, but I am as much a realist as I am a die-hard Paulian. Look what happened to BJ Lawson, he ran an absolutely great campaign, had reasonably well fund raising, did good in the debates, worked round the clock. Lost in a landslide. The problem will never change, and that is straight ticket voters. They get all hyped up with Obama and because he's a democrat they'll just vote all democrat. We'd really need A LOT of funds just to get one new liberty candidate in alone, when you spread the wealth around, it just increases our chances of failing harder.

We need to concentrate on one thing right now and that is claiming a state as our own. The Free State Project has been at it for years, now we need to finish the job in 2010. Control the state legislature and put all liberty candidates in the U.S. Congress from NH. It would make a bigger impression if it were done this way instead of "wingin' it" from coast to coast. And most certainly ensure a safe haven for liberty lovers in times of peril.

Your thoughts?

fj45lvr
11-05-2008, 12:30 AM
pick a EAST and WEST state.

Nate K
11-05-2008, 12:35 AM
or north and south?

Kludge
11-05-2008, 12:40 AM
Federal candidates represent us all. Stop thinking in terms of where the person is geographically for federal offices. It is important that we stop supporting our local candidates for federal office IF not well-supported by the national grassroots.

Lawson will have another chance. Eventually, Price will retire. Lawson is young, bright, and well-liked.

gls
11-05-2008, 12:41 AM
As for as I can see, the problem with the Lawson campaign was two fold (1) he ran against an incumbent and (2) he ran in a heavily gerrymandered district.

I am a member of the Free State Project; I plan on moving to New Hampshire next year. I just hope the local and state GOP didn't get wiped out in today's national Democratic tidal wave. The Democrats already regained control of the NH state government in 2006; I am afraid that if they gain a super majority they might pass an income or sales tax.

Andrew76
11-05-2008, 12:52 AM
For a bit there, I was really tempted to move to New Hampshire. Still considering it.
Very much into the two state idea. That way there can be the original Free State Project happening in N.H., and a sister project happening in say, Nevada. It's hard to mention this on F.S.P boards as someone will eventually shout you down with something like, "LOOK! We've already been over this a thousand times you newb! New Hampshire is it, and that's final!"

So really, if there's to be a second free state project, it needs to happen independently of those involved with the one in New Hampshire.

The obvious benefits of having two, instead of one or even three to begin with is that each project can observe the other, learn from each other's mistakes as well as successes, find out what works best, perhaps even generate a bit of constructive, friendly competition.

As far as which second F.S.P. state would work best, it obviously should be measured by objective factors, as New Hampshire was, not subjective feelings about a particular state.

Off the top of my head, Nevada seems an extremely obvious choice. Though many find gambling and prostitution to be distasteful at best, the fact that both exist legally in Nevada is very telling in regard to their ideas of personal liberty. Liberty means freedom with risk and personal responsibility, not legislating morality and micromanaging everyone's lives.

Just some thoughts.

ThisCharmingAzn
11-05-2008, 02:06 AM
New Hampshire.

I'm with you 2010 people, but I am as much a realist as I am a die-hard Paulian. Look what happened to BJ Lawson, he ran an absolutely great campaign, had reasonably well fund raising, did good in the debates, worked round the clock. Lost in a landslide. The problem will never change, and that is straight ticket voters. They get all hyped up with Obama and because he's a democrat they'll just vote all democrat. We'd really need A LOT of funds just to get one new liberty candidate in alone, when you spread the wealth around, it just increases our chances of failing harder.

We need to concentrate on one thing right now and that is claiming a state as our own. The Free State Project has been at it for years, now we need to finish the job in 2010. Control the state legislature and put all liberty candidates in the U.S. Congress from NH. It would make a bigger impression if it were done this way instead of "wingin' it" from coast to coast. And most certainly ensure a safe haven for liberty lovers in times of peril.

Your thoughts?

I agree completely, but we have to start NOW. I'm at UNH, and I think it's a great place to get started. There's a newspaper that just came out called Sic Semper Tyrannus (Thus Always To Tyrants) which is solid gold in terms of being an advocate of liberty. Maybe you can contact them: thusalwaystotyrants@hotmail.com

mport1
11-05-2008, 02:10 AM
The Free State Project is our only hope and hopefully people will realize this after the atrocity that just occurred.