PDA

View Full Version : Please help!

thehighwaymanq
11-04-2008, 08:41 PM
Alright, we'll tonight my small New Jersey town voted for the same mayor we had for the last 8 years. He raised taves 8 straight years in a row, and has not done one thing he has run on. Also, for the 4th time in twenty years they tried to change our name. And today it was sucessfull. The name was changed by .1% of the vote, 33 votes.

What can I do to protest this? There are dozens and dozens of students who are protesting it in school tomorrow. But what else do you think I can do?

Thanks

thehighwaymanq
11-04-2008, 09:19 PM
Help!
Bump!

torchbearer
11-04-2008, 09:22 PM
Keep putting a counter measure on the ballot to change the name back until it succeeds.

slantedview
11-04-2008, 09:25 PM
curious, what was the old name and what's the new name?

and why the hell did people want to change it?

thehighwaymanq
11-04-2008, 09:33 PM
curious, what was the old name and what's the new name?

and why the hell did people want to change it?

West Paterson ---> Woodland Park

"Paterson" is right next to us, and thats a high crime area, and they want to cut ties with the bad "people"

slantedview
11-04-2008, 09:50 PM
west paterson is not bad. woodland park sounds pretty damn cliche, like a tract home development. i hate that crap.

good luck with things.

thehighwaymanq
11-04-2008, 09:57 PM
west paterson is not bad. woodland park sounds pretty damn cliche, like a tract home development. i hate that crap.

good luck with things.

Thanks.

This has been a night to forget for all of us.

thehighwaymanq
11-05-2008, 03:20 PM
So today I organized a march and then protest outside our Municipal Building with all the students.

It's incredible how so many young people are going crazy about this over here, and there all asking questions and getting educuated on the specifics and telling others.

Only if the Presidential election had this sort of activity in the Youth.

thehighwaymanq
11-05-2008, 07:00 PM
Alrighty- this has grown to more than anyone expected.

I just want to double check on laws and everything in the situation.

Me and my group of ( something like 50+ students now) are allowed to assemble at the local middle school, march on the public side walks in a orderly line ( while chanting things, talking to business owners and people, and possibly playing instruments, and using a megaphone). We are walking to our Municipal Builiding and will assemble outside the building ( and hopefully meet local press.)

This is all legal right?

We're a group of high school students and I just want to make sure were doing everything right?

Thanks!

dannno
11-05-2008, 07:07 PM
Yes, you can peacefully assemble. Don't let anybody tell you otherwise.

thehighwaymanq
11-06-2008, 11:40 AM
Yes, you can peacefully assemble. Don't let anybody tell you otherwise.

Alright, good.

The Facebook group I made now has 120+ members, with 55+ members confirming their presence at the protest. Add to that the 50+ students who verbally agreed to show up. Add to that, the fact we have about the same time left to the protest tomorrow. I'm expecting well over 120 people at this.

I sent our emails to all major newspapers and stations locally.

I posted on all local forums, and social networking sites as well as texts and calls.

Vote right now is:

- Yes 2,125 50.37%
- No 2,094 49.63%
Total 4,219 100.00%

We lost by a large 31 votes, .74%, less than 1/4 of a percentage!

And we still have about 65 ballots left to count.

Also, there were 5,452 total votes for mayor and 4,219 votes for name change. A difference of 1, 233

Last, some voters are claiming this:
AND I ALSO HAVE TO FIND OUT WHO TO CALL ABOUT WHAT I FEEL WAS MISCONDUCT ON THE PART OF ONE OF THE WORKERS. WHEN MY DAUGHTERS WENT TO VOTE, A WOMAN WITH AN ACCENT, sitting at the district 6 table(THEY DIDN'T GET HER NAME) SAID TO THEM, AND I QUOTE"YOU ARE VOTING YES FOR THE NAME CHANGE, RIGHT , VOTE YES. WHEN SPEAKING TO OTHERS IN DISTRICT 4 AND 6 , THEY WEREN'T THE ONLY ONES THIS COMMENT WAS MADE TO..I WAS GOING TO LET IT GO UNTIL I FOUND OUT THEY WEREN'T THE ONLY VOTERS A POLL WORKER TRIED TO SWAY.

With 31 votes as the difference, this is huge!

Carole
11-06-2008, 12:34 PM
Alright, we'll tonight my small New Jersey town voted for the same mayor we had for the last 8 years. He raised taves 8 straight years in a row, and has not done one thing he has run on. Also, for the 4th time in twenty years they tried to change our name. And today it was sucessfull. The name was changed by .1% of the vote, 33 votes.

What can I do to protest this? There are dozens and dozens of students who are protesting it in school tomorrow. But what else do you think I can do?

Thanks
I am a little confused.

I understand you are dismayed over the name change and wish to protest it, but should you not also be protesting the eight years of raised taxes, the lies he has told, and the lack of follow through on policies he has promised?

Should you not be trying to recall him? Strange that he continues to be voted into office.

Are there any concerns about the validity of his re-election? Maybe you should be canvassing the town to see how they voted? :)

????????????:D

thehighwaymanq
11-06-2008, 12:47 PM
I am a little confused.

I understand you are dismayed over the name change and wish to protest it, but should you not also be protesting the eight years of raised taxes, the lies he has told, and the lack of follow through on policies he has promised?

Should you not be trying to recall him? Strange that he continues to be voted into office.

Are there any concerns about the validity of his re-election? Maybe you should be canvassing the town to see how they voted? :)

????????????:D

People just don't care about anything anymore. He won by 20%. We're such a small town ( 11,000) that he like personally knows many of us in the town. Also, people just go along and think this is how its supposed to be. On Halloween, I asked people with his signs why they are supporting a man who raised taxes for 8 years. And none of them gave me a real answer. "Oh, thats my business."

We can't change that, until the next election that is, but when you lose a vote by .74%, maybe we can make some noise.