PDA

View Full Version : made my day.

Paulitical Correctness
11-04-2008, 04:12 PM
a black guy was walking out of my voting precinct and approached me.

he said "it's a done deal! we just voted, now we wait..this is 'bout to give me a heart attack."

i chuckled, then told him "good luck to your candidate"

he responded, "good look to yours too" and shook my hand.

walking to our cars he told me he couldn't handle the stress of the election, and proceeded to talk into his hand as if it were a microphone, broadcasting a fake news story about himself dying in office from a heart attack. the entire time he was so animated, excited, smiling, laughing. he couldn't be more ecstatic about casting his vote for potus.

perhaps a racist assumption, but he was surely an obama supporter.

and that's when i finally understood the appeal. i'm not black, so i can't empathize, but after facing adversity and racism (which still clearly exists) for so very long, this is a revolutionary opportunity.

disdain for obama aside, i felt this guy's joy that he finally felt he had a voice. he could cast his vote for someone that might possibly represent him and the prejudice might end. then i got sad. all the black voters turning out for obama, with such hope and committment, desiring change and something better...are all going to be let down tremendously.

either way, the guy's enthusiasm simply made my day. :D

Kotin
11-04-2008, 04:14 PM
Barack Obama doesn't care about any of us, especially black people.

If he really cared about black people he would end the foolish drug war! but he wont cause he could care less.

haaaylee
11-04-2008, 05:27 PM
that story actually makes me kind of sad, poor guy thinks he is going to see a difference if his candidate wins ..

Paulitical Correctness
11-04-2008, 05:30 PM
that story actually makes me kind of sad, poor guy thinks he is going to see a difference if his candidate wins ..

it affected me in both ways. on the one hand, i was happy that this guy was so excited about the process. but also, i was sad because it's going to be a huge disappointment.

to look at it optimistically, these misinformed people are potential r3volutionaries, no?

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
11-04-2008, 05:32 PM
So having a chance to vote for "one of our own" is an excuse for ignoring the issues and casting a vote based on skin color alone? I am not attacking you here but I just fail to see the logic in this.

Paulitical Correctness
11-04-2008, 05:36 PM
no, it's no excuse. but i'm saying i can finally, at least somewhat, empathize with the excitement. you had to have seen this guy.

i don't know, maybe i just needed to find some sort of optimism in today's sad events.

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
11-04-2008, 05:37 PM
no, it's no excuse. but i'm saying i can finally, at least somewhat, empathize with the excitement. you had to have seen this guy.

i don't know, maybe i just needed to find some sort of optimism in today's sad events.

well that is understandable. This national disgrace we playfully call an election is just f'n depressing.

blocks
11-04-2008, 05:38 PM

no. I understand. I'd have felt the same thing.