PDA

View Full Version : Debate focus group leader Frank Luntz was reprimanded

kylebrotherton
09-07-2007, 05:41 PM
Remember the focus group Faux News used to decide that Huckabee won the verbal exchange on "principle?" Turns out the facilitator, Frank Luntz, has an interesting history in the business.

from http://mediamatters.org/items/200709070003?f=h_latest:

In response to an announcement in April by PBS that, immediately after the June 28 Democratic presidential forum, "public feedback on the performance of the candidates will be conducted by noted pollster Frank Luntz, who will also appear on 'Tavis Smiley' on PBS the following evening to discuss his findings," Media Matters for America criticized Luntz's involvement and noted his history of partisan GOP activity and record of reported reprimand and censure by this peers. In 1997, the American Association for Public Opinion Research reprimanded Luntz for comments he made to the media regarding his polling work on the Contract with America, according to a 2000 Salon.com article. Similarly, Washington Post polling director Richard Morin reported in 2000 that the National Council on Public Polls "censured pollster Frank Luntz for allegedly mischaracterizing on MSNBC the results of focus groups he conducted during the [2000] Republican Convention." As Media Matters has also documented, Luntz has worked for former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani (R), a primary election opponent of Paul and Huckabee's, and has heaped praise on Giuliani this year.

In September 2004, MSNBC dropped its plans to include Luntz in coverage of that year's presidential forum following a letter from Media Matters that outlined Luntz's GOP ties and criticism from his peers for misrepresenting and withholding results of his research.

heiwa
09-07-2007, 06:11 PM
He was the one leading the "test audience" at the Iowa debate. According to one person watching, when the test group was asked at the first break who they thought was winning, most responded that Dr. Paul was winning. Mr. Luntz then said something to the order of, "Don't pay attention to the people at the bar!" (the R.P. supporters were watching the debate at the bar). When they responded that they hadn't, he said something to the effect of "I don't want to hear about Ron Paul any more. He's not going to win."

I also watched him for quite a while, and in my personal opinion, he did a dandy job of leading the test group with his questions.

I did not find him to be fair and impartial.

Jen

John of Des Moines
09-07-2007, 06:14 PM
Nice to hear from you Jen.

jnk

heiwa
09-07-2007, 06:20 PM
Hi, John!

Thanks again for all of your hard work. I had an amazing time out there.

See you at the inauguration!

Jen

Hook
09-07-2007, 06:29 PM
Anyone get a video capture of this exchange?

Dave
09-07-2007, 07:02 PM
Hi, John!

Thanks again for all of your hard work. I had an amazing time out there.

See you at the inauguration!

Jen

Yeah! We miss you, Jen. Wish you were still here - lots of work to be done between now and caucus night. Thanks again for all your help here!

Spike Kojima
09-07-2007, 07:13 PM
I first saw Frank Luntz on an episode of Penn and Tellers Bullshit, they showed how he confuses people with polls and other shity things to get certain points across in said polls. Those certain points are mostly those of the repulican leadership.

max
09-07-2007, 07:16 PM
Remember the focus group Faux News used to decide that Huckabee won the verbal exchange on "principle?" Turns out the facilitator, Frank Luntz, has an interesting history in the business.

from http://mediamatters.org/items/200709070003?f=h_latest:

Did you have to post that?!!!!

Now I'm so friggin pissed off that I have to go donate to RP again in order to calm down.

Thanks alot!

pengieh
09-07-2007, 07:20 PM
I first saw Frank Luntz on an episode of Penn and Tellers Bullshit, they showed how he confuses people with polls and other shity things to get certain points across in said polls. Those certain points are mostly those of the repulican leadership.

In fact, he was so hated that a guy driving past called him a Jackass. This guy is an amazing pollster, but like all amazing pollsters he is super biased and uses his bias to influence the responses he gets.

constituent
09-07-2007, 07:21 PM
have you ever seen him on c-span... i wanna say it was q and a or something like that... also, he's been on a couple of call in shows...

classic.