PDA

View Full Version : Hot headed, Need some level headed advice

jlaker
11-03-2008, 07:22 PM
My children came home from school today and told me they voted. I ask them who they voted for. My daughter Jasmine, who is 11, told me that they had to vote for Obama or McCain but she didn't wanted to. She asked if she could vote for Nadar and they told her no. She said that they laughed at her and said she had to vote and it could only be one of the two candidates. My son Evan told me pretty much the same story. He asked if he could vote for someone else and got the same response.
I am kinda hot headed and want to just go off but, I know that is the wrong answer. What do you guys think?

Thanks for any input.

forsmant
11-03-2008, 07:25 PM
I think that kids shouldn't vote.

ItsTime
11-03-2008, 07:25 PM
File a formal complaint against the teachers that told your children this.

jlaker
11-03-2008, 07:27 PM
I think I would have to file one against the whole school. They were forced to vote for one of the two candidates.

angelatc
11-03-2008, 07:28 PM
We had the same situation in my son's elementary school. My 4th grader tried to tell all the kids that there were other candidates running, but even the teacher would hear none of it. If I had known in advance I would have sent in some literature from Barr, Baldwin Nader and McKinney.

I'd probably fire off an angry email.

forsmant
11-03-2008, 07:29 PM
The schools force kids to do a lot of things they don't want to do, like useless homework. Obedience factories of conformity.

RSLudlum
11-03-2008, 07:36 PM
I'd get ahold of a sample ballot, request an appointment with the teacher or head bureaucrat, errr principal, at the school and ask them if they 'can see' the other choices available on the ballot.

Or you could just write a 'respectful' letter with a copy of the ballot included and send it to your county school district council, etc.

I feel your frustration, I'm constantly re-educating my daughter on things she's 'learning' in school, esp. on US history. They definitely should not have made them make a choice in the two, esp. since that is not the reality in the voting booths.

jlaker
11-03-2008, 07:41 PM
The schools force kids to do a lot of things they don't want to do, like useless homework. Obedience factories of conformity.

Obedience factories of conformity can suck it!!!!:mad:

liberteebell
11-03-2008, 07:45 PM

That is, after you heartily praise your children and tell them how proud you are of them for standing up for themselves and what they believe in. :D

My kids are fighting the same battles and, pretty much on their own, they've learned enough about the issues to not only defend themselves but also to explain things their peers and, in some cases, to educate a few teachers. They have become quite outspoken (mom is very happy! :D) and I'm really surprised at how outspoken my teenage daughters are. :D:cool:

My son wrote in Ron Paul in his class voting last week. He said some kids laughed at him but he didn't care. :cool:

dannno
11-03-2008, 07:51 PM

Yes (go to the district if you have to)

jlaker
11-03-2008, 07:52 PM
That is, after you heartily praise your children and tell them how proud you are of them for standing up for themselves and what they believe in. :D

My kids are fighting the same battles and, pretty much on their own, they've learned enough about the issues to not only defend themselves but also to explain things their peers and, in some cases, to educate a few teachers. They have become quite outspoken (mom is very happy! :D) and I'm really surprised at how outspoken my teenage daughters are. :D:cool:

My son wrote in Ron Paul in his class voting last week. He said some kids laughed at him but he didn't care. :cool:

Love your post. Thank you very much. I read this to my children. It breaks my heart that they laugh at our children who are more educated on the real issues than they are. Tell your son he is a true patriot and we need more of him.

Matt Collins
11-03-2008, 08:20 PM
Kids? What are they? Where do they come from? I've heard of this word before ;-)

liberteebell
11-03-2008, 08:30 PM
Love your post. Thank you very much. I read this to my children. It breaks my heart that they laugh at our children who are more educated on the real issues than they are. Tell your son he is a true patriot and we need more of him.

Thanks! I love your patriot children! :D It breaks my heart too but I am finding that my children are actually coming to me for support (!!!!!!!!) and information and they've become very interested in politics, history and economics and it all started from them overhearing my conversations about Ron Paul (do I ever owe that man a debt of gratitude!).

Even if they're mocked for it, if our children continue to stand up for their beliefs, there will be hope for the future. Imagine how well educated they'll be after starting at such a young age! It's a life-lesson too; tough for us parents to watch but they'll be better for it in the long run.

Here's a good quote for them:

In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man, brave, hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him for then is costs him nothing to be a patriot.--Mark Twain, notebook, 1904

ronpaulhawaii
11-03-2008, 08:38 PM
I'd send a well thought out and effective response, and cc the local news outlets...

pacelli
11-03-2008, 09:03 PM
My children came home from school today and told me they voted. I ask them who they voted for. My daughter Jasmine, who is 11, told me that they had to vote for Obama or McCain but she didn't wanted to. She asked if she could vote for Nadar and they told her no. She said that they laughed at her and said she had to vote and it could only be one of the two candidates. My son Evan told me pretty much the same story. He asked if he could vote for someone else and got the same response.
I am kinda hot headed and want to just go off but, I know that is the wrong answer. What do you guys think?

Thanks for any input.

Is this a public or private school? As the parent, you have the ability to speak to the principal of the school to demand that something be done about his employees who laughed and ridiculed your children and engaged in political discrimination on top of it.

jlaker
11-03-2008, 10:32 PM
Is this a public or private school? As the parent, you have the ability to speak to the principal of the school to demand that something be done about his employees who laughed and ridiculed your children and engaged in political discrimination on top of it.

It is a public school.

RickyJ
11-03-2008, 10:34 PM
They should flip a quarter. Heads McCain, Tails Obama. It is a meaningless vote, nothing to get worked up over.

Kludge
11-03-2008, 10:36 PM
Go to the next PTA meeting. Bring up the teacher's name specifically and mention that you are very concerned with the narrow-minded thinking the teacher (again, use their name) is encouraging. Might also help to mention how offensive it is that your child's opinion isn't valid in the eyes of the school.

heavenlyboy34
11-03-2008, 10:38 PM

Thanks for any input.

I'd have a talk with the teacher and show him/her the flaws in her methodology. I'm wacky that way. :D

ShowMeLiberty
11-03-2008, 10:39 PM
I'd send a well thought out and effective response, and cc the local news outlets...

This.

Include a real sample ballot showing all the actual candidates if possible.

ClockwiseSpark
11-03-2008, 11:37 PM

Thanks for any input.

I thought you might appreciate a teacher's insight.

As someone who has taught fourth and fifth grade in the past, I have actually been in this position where I have held "mock" elections with my classes. I too, limited their choices to the Democrats and Republicans. (I now understand I wasn't really giving them anything different to choose from.)

That brings me to the point that I have evolved in my understanding. Over the past year or two I have learned a great deal about politics and our election system. Now, having been intricately involved since caucus, I understand a tiny bit about third parties, the two different (I mean identical):eek: parties, and how screwed up our choices are.

In my own children's classrooms as well as ones in my building, this same choice is being given. Vote for McCain or Obama. I am struggling with how to do this with my class (as they are seven years old.) The problem is our educators as most Americans still need to be educated on the problems with the two party system. Instead of getting angry we need to teach and educate. As much as we want to get mad and expect teachers to "know" better, it has been the boiling of the frog for them as well.

In short, if I were you, talk to your child as you have been. I would also talk with the teacher, not in anger or frustration, but in terms of educating. I caution you though, teachers are constantly under attack for the crappy job we do and your child's teacher most likely will be defensive. (I usually am when I am reading any posts on here about education.) If your child's teacher is reasonable and you are friendly and non confrontational, you most likely will have an opportunity to plant a seed for someone else to learn more about how our choices have been basically removed.

To quickly address your child being laughed at...make sure it wasn't a chuckle of confusion on the teacher's part. When humans are uncomfortable they often laugh but not necessarily "at" someone. Maybe even explain to your child that often times when someone else knows something that one person doesn't then they may laugh in a defensive posture because you know something they don't.

In a little over a year, I have changed the way I talk about government and elections with my students. However, it has taken my involvement with the Ron Paul movement to change my understanding. Remember, not everyone heard him or understood. Otherwise, we might be in a different place than we are now.

SteveB-NY
11-04-2008, 12:01 AM

Thanks for any input.

You are far from alone. My son's sixth grade class was limited to only the "big two" and although my son said he wanted to vote for [this is not the place for Barr/Baldwin nonsense] he was told he could not since the teacher had already made up the ballots and would not change them. My daughter, a freshman in High School also had a mock election and was likewise limited. Her reaction was to write "under protest" below her McCain vote.

All I could think of was my 6th grade class going 53 to 1 for Nixon over McGovern. And the other sixth grade class going 51 or 52 to none.

Original_Intent
11-04-2008, 12:10 AM
Well there have been all kinds of well reasoned responses.

Personally I would raise seven kinds of hell over it, I would be talking to teachers, the principal, the media. I would seriously try to make the 10:00 o'clock news.

Last spring my 5th grader was in a patriotic program that a few hundred parents were in attendance and at the end the principal came out and said how proud she was of "this democracy that we live in" It took everything I had (mostly not wanting to embarass my son) to not stand up and call her a stupid bitch who should get an education before she takes it upon herself to teach anyone else.

Yeah, my kids are going to public school - I do my best to counter the bad influence in the evenings though.

unconsious767
11-04-2008, 12:48 AM
I just caught a replay of Nader on Cspan, and he talks about this issue at the 3:55 mark and a caller echoes your situation at the 14:00 mark:

rtsp://video1.c-span.org/archive/c08/c08_wj110108_nader.rm

jlaker
11-04-2008, 12:57 AM
Well there have been all kinds of well reasoned responses.

Personally I would raise seven kinds of hell over it, I would be talking to teachers, the principal, the media. I would seriously try to make the 10:00 o'clock news.

Last spring my 5th grader was in a patriotic program that a few hundred parents were in attendance and at the end the principal came out and said how proud she was of "this democracy that we live in" It took everything I had (mostly not wanting to embarass my son) to not stand up and call her a stupid bitch who should get an education before she takes it upon herself to teach anyone else.

Yeah, my kids are going to public school - I do my best to counter the bad influence in the evenings though.

You are a hot head like myself I see.

jlaker
11-04-2008, 12:58 AM
I just caught a replay of Nader on Cspan, and he talks about this issue at the 3:55 mark and a caller echoes your situation at the 14:00 mark:

rtsp://video1.c-span.org/archive/c08/c08_wj110108_nader.rm

:eek:.

WRellim
11-04-2008, 01:07 AM

Thanks for any input.

1) Stay calm.

2) Get lawyer.

3) Sue.

4) Profit !!!

Matt Collins
11-04-2008, 04:37 AM
It is a public school.Proper terminology is "government school"

Aratus
11-04-2008, 10:31 AM

liberteebell said it as it is! --- people! people! people! conformity starts in the classroom,
democracy starts in the marketplace! an' sometimes academia ceases to conform!

tremendoustie
11-04-2008, 10:35 AM

Thanks for any input.

File a formal complaint, then homeschool. Just buy curriculum, and study ahead of your kids. You'll be a far better teacher than anything they'd get in our joke of an educational system. Make sure your kids are involved in sports, and in your local homeschool group or just with other parents and kids. You know, healthy social interaction with people of all ages rather than the animal farm at most pub. schools these days.

Isaac Bickerstaff
11-04-2008, 11:05 AM
File a formal complaint, then homeschool. Just buy curriculum, and study ahead of your kids. You'll be a far better teacher than anything they'd get in our joke of an educational system. Make sure your kids are involved in sports, and in your local homeschool group or just with other parents and kids. You know, healthy social interaction with people of all ages rather than the animal farm at most pub. schools these days.

I would like to add to this. Make sure that every parent sending kids to the school knows that you are withdrawing your little ones and why. Make sure they understand that it is not just about a silly mock election, but that it is about stifling learning and offering only a minimal education offered by third rate losers.

Encourage other parents to withdraw as well and work on a homeschooling co-op so that participating parents could share the responsibilities and not all have to teach all of the subjects. Together, parents can form a better much faculty than can be hired at any state institution.

LEK
11-04-2008, 11:08 AM

Thanks for any input.

Use the whole thing as a learning opportunity. Teach them why it was wrong and what would have been right.

Sematary
11-04-2008, 11:08 AM

Thanks for any input.

I had a similar story from my 8 year old yesterday. I haven't discussed the election with her but the teacher only gave them the two options. I was talking to my boss about that and he made sense when he said that they are simply attempting to get them used to the idea of voting.

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
11-04-2008, 11:14 AM

Thanks for any input.

The time to be level headed is long gone. I work in the public school system and I can tell you honestly that the only time these people listen is when you yell and scream and make a scene. These people are brainwashing our kids so we need to be vigilant and you are in the right for going down there and givin them hell.

Chester Copperpot
11-04-2008, 11:17 AM

Thanks for any input.

Im a real level headed guy.. I bend over backwards for people over and over even when they dont deserve it.

THIS IS THE TIME TO GO OFF.

ON the teacher, and on the school. On the principle and the board of education.

What kind of education does this teach the kids?

Remind them that education comes from the Latin "educo" to draw out; from within.. And if your kids want to educe their own candidate and its not one of the 2 major candidates then that shows they have a better education than even the teacher.

nodope0695
11-04-2008, 11:19 AM
Watch this, and you'll feel better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0

Chester Copperpot
11-04-2008, 11:26 AM

Thanks for any input.

Show the teacher this 40 second clip or so from Michael Badnarik...

45% chance for lethal injection. 50% chance for Electric Chair. 5% chance for Escape.. Who you gonna vote for?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIOX9IQhL3M&eu#t=5m58s

RoyalShock
11-04-2008, 11:32 AM
This may have already been said, so I apologize if it's redundant.

Talk to the teacher first. A complaint may not even get to him/her. Then talk to the principal, followed by the superintendent and finally the school board. The entire heirarchy should be filled in.

I doubt you'd get much sympathy at a PTA meeting. Heck, you'd probably get laughed at just like your child did. Mob mentality. One-on-one is the way to go, in my opinion.

RoyalShock
11-04-2008, 05:21 PM
The school my 3rd-grader attends held a vote. Of course, it only had two options. He asked the PTO volunteer if he had to vote. she told him yes. He then asked if he could vote for Chuck Baldwin and she said he could write him on his ballot.

At least she got it half right.