PDA

View Full Version : Study at Home Mises Course Jaunt!

orafi
11-03-2008, 12:11 PM
http://www.mises.org/store/Mises-Institute-Home-Study-Course-in-Austrian-Economics-P211.aspx

I found this study at home course that the Mises Institute offers. I was wondering if any of you guys have checked it out and if you have any thoughts on it. I'm thinking of ordering it because I don't feel that my college is offering me enough Austrian (even though we do have one professor, Thomas Rustici, who's brilliant), and every other economist I meet there turns out to be a Keynesian jackass, even though they've been tutored by Rustici.

Anyways, any imho's?

orafi
11-03-2008, 02:01 PM
actually, this makes much more sense in the economics forum :o

SimpleName
11-04-2008, 12:02 AM
Very interesting. If only I had $350 back from the property taxes my parents paid for my compulsory public schooling, I could buy this and actually learn quite a bit. I always wanted to have some sort of organization to my learning, because I've been all over the place with it. To have an organized set like that would make it all much simpler. I've been dying to fully understand economics in general and to have it all brought out in the Austrian viewpoint which as SO enlightened me already would be perfect. Hmmm...irony is that if we had Austrian policies in the past, this would actually be affordable. Disappointing...I need to save some dough. First though, I must get another job. lol.

orafi
11-06-2008, 04:51 PM
Ugh, yesterday during macroeconomics my fears came true, my professor started teaching about Keynes. Man, he called the bastard a genius and a man who knew his stuff. I don't want to be taught Keynesian economics, but I ahve to pass this class for my GPA! lol

Yeah, so I'm going to get this package as soon as my semester is over. You should too, bro.

mellamojuana
11-07-2008, 04:10 PM
Was Keynes a bastard? :eek: Bless his heart. No wonder.

To me, critical thinking is paramount. If we have only one viewpoint, we have little with which to argue! Imho, we need many aspects of a subject even if we are sure we know which way the wind blows.

Cleaner44
11-07-2008, 04:14 PM
Damn, I want that course. Where is an economic stimulus check when you need one?

Bruno
11-07-2008, 04:29 PM

To me, critical thinking is paramount. If we have only one viewpoint, we have little with which to argue! Imho, we need many aspects of a subject even if we are sure we know which way the wind blows.

Good point.

OP - ask your professor about opposing economic views, such as the Austrian view, and if there would be time in the course to explore that as well.

LibertyEagle
11-07-2008, 04:30 PM
http://www.mises.org/store/Mises-Institute-Home-Study-Course-in-Austrian-Economics-P211.aspx

I found this study at home course that the Mises Institute offers. I was wondering if any of you guys have checked it out and if you have any thoughts on it. I'm thinking of ordering it because I don't feel that my college is offering me enough Austrian (even though we do have one professor, Thomas Rustici, who's brilliant), and every other economist I meet there turns out to be a Keynesian jackass, even though they've been tutored by Rustici.

Anyways, any imho's?

I think it sounds like a fabulous idea. :)

Ozwest
11-07-2008, 04:42 PM
This is a great idea.

Upon completion of the course, will participants receive a certificate or documentation acknowledging their achievements?

Conza88
11-07-2008, 05:25 PM
This is a great idea.

Upon completion of the course, will participants receive a certificate or documentation acknowledging their achievements?

See, that would make it completely worth it. To have Austrian School of Economics qualification on my resume / CV would be epic.

I've downloaded the entire Mises Media section; at the moment 614 items, 17.8 days listening, 6GB. It's taken me several months of listening etc, but I've nearly listened to it all.

Learnt alot, but nothing can really beat reading the books. I've bought 30 or so over the last year... got a massive wishlist, at mises, and abroad...

Damn aussie dollar and shipping! :(

danberkeley
11-07-2008, 05:46 PM
See, that would make it completely worth it. To have Austrian School of Economics qualification on my resume / CV would be epic.

I've downloaded the entire Mises Media section; at the moment 614 items, 17.8 days listening, 6GB. It's taken me several months of listening etc, but I've nearly listened to it all.

Learnt alot, but nothing can really beat reading the books. I've bought 30 or so over the last year... got a massive wishlist, at mises, and abroad...

Damn aussie dollar and shipping! :(

I enjoyed the Walter Block audios/videos the most. He makes being a libertarian, excuse me, anarcho-capitalist, super fun hapiness.

SimpleName
11-21-2008, 08:17 PM
Damn, I want that course. Where is an economic stimulus check when you need one?

Sweet irony. It'd be a nicely timed gift.

orafi
11-21-2008, 08:52 PM
Good point.

OP - ask your professor about opposing economic views, such as the Austrian view, and if there would be time in the course to explore that as well.

Nah, he's just one of those professors that just needs you to learn enough material to pass the class, so he has a set schedule (because the level I'm taking is a plain old generally required course for aspiring undergraduates).

orafi
11-21-2008, 08:56 PM

Agreed.
But, you can get some tasty critical thinking when you debate with opposing schools of thought as well ;)