PDA

View Full Version : Why Tuesday???

raiha
11-02-2008, 02:45 PM
I know you guys have high unemployment right now, but why on earth do you not vote on Saturdays when workers can get to the polling booths more easily???

Austin
11-02-2008, 02:47 PM
Gee, I dunno.

RockEnds
11-02-2008, 02:58 PM
Good question.

According to wiki:

United States and Canada

Tuesday is the usual day for elections in the United States. Federal elections take place on the Tuesday after the first Monday in November; this date was established by a law of 1845 for presidential elections (specifically for the selection of the Electoral College), and was extended to elections for the House of Representatives in 1875 and for the Senate in 1914. Tuesday was the earliest day of the week which was practical for polling in the early nineteenth century: citizens might have to travel for a whole day to cast their vote, and would not wish to leave on Sunday which was a day of worship for the great majority of them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuesday

I don't know how accurate the information is, but it sounds like as good a reason as any.

Danke
11-02-2008, 03:58 PM
Why just one day?

nate895
11-02-2008, 04:24 PM
Good question.

According to wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuesday

I don't know how accurate the information is, but it sounds like as good a reason as any.

That is what I have heard, also it is the first Tuesday after the first Monday because they cannot hold elections on the first because banks do their balances on the first day, so bank employees wouldn't get to vote during those years because they would be too busy.

wgadget
11-02-2008, 04:27 PM
Why just one day?

It's not necessarily just one day. Many states, like Georgia, have early voting this year, which started two weeks before the election. No weekends, though, here for some reason...?

MRoCkEd
11-02-2008, 04:28 PM
how about one month of voting

wgadget
11-02-2008, 04:29 PM
how about one month of voting

You can also vote by mail.

ChaosControl
11-02-2008, 04:48 PM
Because everyone hates Monday and doesn't want to make it any worse and no one wants to waste their Saturday or Sunday, I thought that was obvious.

danberkeley
11-02-2008, 04:49 PM
You can also vote by mail.

The postal service was unreliable back then. :D

Danke
11-02-2008, 04:53 PM
It's not necessarily just one day. Many states, like Georgia, have early voting this year, which started two weeks before the election. No weekends, though, here for some reason...?

Good point.

raiha
11-02-2008, 05:27 PM
Ours is always Saturday. We all rush out and vote. Then we spend the evening in front of the telly throwing abuse and beer cans (metaphorical) at whoever is winning!
We've got ours on November 8. I'm sure you are all aware of that! Not.

nate895
11-02-2008, 05:43 PM
Ours is always Saturday. We all rush out and vote. Then we spend the evening in front of the telly throwing abuse and beer cans (metaphorical) at whoever is winning!
We've got ours on November 8. I'm sure you are all aware of that! Not.

I don't like it as a governmental system, but watching Westminster System elections is a lot more fun than our boring system. I hope New Zealand's elections are on C-SPAN like the Canadian ones.

hopeforamerica
11-03-2008, 10:23 AM
Why just one day?

It really isn't just one day. There has been tremendous turnout for early voting. Tuesday is just the deadline.

Most states offer early voting. In AZ we can request an early ballot and they push it! They want everyone to vote early.