PDA

View Full Version : AP: Obama aunt from Kenya living in US illegally

Gin
11-01-2008, 06:14 AM
AP: Obama aunt from Kenya living in US illegally

By EILEEN SULLIVAN and ELLIOT SPAGAT,
Associated Press Writers Eileen Sullivan And Elliot Spagat,
11 mins ago

WASHINGTON Barack Obama's aunt, a Kenyan woman who has been quietly living in public housing in Boston, is in the United States illegally after an immigration judge rejected her request for asylum four years ago, The Associated Press has learned.

Zeituni Onyango, 56, referred to as "Aunti Zeituni" in Obama's memoir, was instructed to leave the United States by a U.S. immigration judge who denied her asylum request, a person familiar with the matter told the AP late Friday. This person spoke on condition of anonymity because no one was authorized to discuss Onyango's case.

Information about the deportation case was disclosed and confirmed by two separate sources, one of them a federal law enforcement official. The information they made available is known to officials in the federal government, but the AP could not establish whether anyone at a political level in the Bush administration or in the McCain campaign had been involved in its release.

Onyango's refusal to leave the country would represent an administrative, non-criminal violation of U.S. immigration law, meaning such cases are handled outside the criminal court system. Estimates vary, but many experts believe there are more than 10 million such immigrants in the United States.

The AP could not reach Onyango immediately for comment. A reporter went to her home Friday night and no one answered the door. A neighbor said she was often not home on the weekend. Also, Onyango did not immediately return a telephone or written message left at her home. It was unclear why her request for asylum was rejected in 2004.

The Obama campaign declined to comment late Friday night.

Onyango is not a relative whom Obama has discussed in campaign appearances and, unlike Obama's father and grandmother, is not someone who has been part of the public discussion about his personal life.

A spokeswoman for U.S. Immigrations and Customs Enforcement, Kelly Nantel, said the government does not comment on an individual's citizenship status or immigration case.

Onyango's case coming to light just days before the presidential election led to an unusual nationwide directive within Immigrations and Customs Enforcement requiring any deportations prior to Tuesday's election to be approved at least at the level of ICE regional directors, the U.S. law enforcement official told the AP.

The unusual directive suggests that the Bush administration is sensitive to the political implications of Onyango's case coming to light so close to the election.

Kenya is in eastern Africa between Somalia and Tanzania. The country has been fractured in violence in recent years, including a period of two months of bloodshed after December 2007 that killed 1,500 people.

The disclosure about Onyango came just one day after Obama's presidential campaign confirmed to the Times of London that Onyango, who has lived quietly in public housing in South Boston for five years, was Obama's half aunt on his father's side.

It was not immediately clear how Onyango might have qualified for public housing with a standing deportation order.

___

AP writer Elliott Spagat reported from New York.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081101/ap_on_el_pr/obama_aunt#full

Aratus
11-01-2008, 10:29 AM
this might be counter-intuitive to our rEVOLUTIOn goals, yet Kenya was once part
of the BRITISH EMPIRE, and the dear sweet old woman is someone who may remember
the year of INDEPENDENCE! so... WHY don't we pass the rEVOLUTIOn tri-corner hat around
to send Barack's half-aunt up to Ottowa Canada if INS gets too rude and antzy on the poor
woman. she's a KENYAN! southie was KNOWN for years for its illegal green card Irish, and
people looking the OTHER way! our policy on illegals admittedly can sometimes impact Canadians.

i feel the poor woman is quite at home where she is, and the maddening nature of OUR political upset year
is not helping people here in my home state resolve this all! LETs PULL IN THE U.K INTO THIS! i feel we can rise
to a glorious happenstance of history and be compassionate conservatives!!! LETs explain to her that her half-nephew's
ancestors may have had TORY kith and kin, and we rEVOLUTIOn people want to HELP BARACK OUT IN BEING A NICE GUY!!! seriously!
i am serious! in addition to our own General Warren, i have a humble loyalist ancestor who went up to nova scotia! i know what having a U.E after
one's given name implies in CANADA!

lodge939
11-01-2008, 10:39 AM
The MSM missed this, somehow

Aratus
11-01-2008, 10:48 AM
there were dunhams aplenty in the bay colony here circa the revolution!
a new york state dunham who had joined burgoyne's army went up to near
ottowa and there is a dunham bay there because his family spent a shivering
1780s year up there in TENTs over one winter. the exodus up to Canada in
the early 1780s was some 50,ooo souls. their decendents have the ability
to us U.E after their given names up in CANADA. there are few other hereditary
titles associated with the grand history of Canada! i saw the re-broadcast of
a PBS HISTORY DETECTIVE's episode about fifth cousins meeting after a family
tree diagram was delved into! ___ I FEEL WE COULD MAKE A DIFFERENCE!___:D

Aratus
11-01-2008, 10:53 AM
:cool: notice the nice handwritten name DUNHAM! http://www.pbs.org/opb/historydetectives/investigations/304_loyalist.html
sending the poor woman back to kenya right now would be a jolt and then some...i
feel canada is briefly succinctly closer, and i am unsure as to her age, yet think that if she is
older than i am, she ONCE was a citizen of the British empire, and since our neighbor to
the north is STILL in the same said EMPIRE, it would be easy to sort this all out...
i am feeling churchillian in the way i see this. kenya has political difficulties, now.
canada seems more stable at times. i say this as a new england yankee. it sure saves
someone the cost of a more expensive ticket. the differential between bus and air
could be a nice comfy stay in a rather nice travel inn or lodge or the like... as INS sorts
this all out! she could even claim political asylem from the canadian authorities if need be!

Andrew-Austin
11-01-2008, 10:59 AM
I don't care.

phixion
11-01-2008, 11:03 AM
If the media cover this, it's all over for Obama.

Hence why they won't cover it...

Pete

Aratus
11-01-2008, 11:09 AM
"well doggy" as jed clampett would say... unless john mccain has a brilliant november
surprise that is brighter than his october one, the WHITE HOUSE has MANY ROOMs! surely
barack's own true biological half-aunt can be housed in the LINCOLN BEDROOM! n'est-ce pas...?
to mr community activist, i ad hoc ipso facto say "SAY WOT!!!"... and fondly think of TR or
the GROVER CLEVELAND WHITE HOUSE!!! unless john mccain has a brilliant november surprise...

RickyJ
11-01-2008, 11:09 AM
I don't care.

Well I don't care that you don't care. :p

angelatc
11-01-2008, 11:10 AM
The MSM missed this, somehow

The AP is MSM last time I checked.

RickyJ
11-01-2008, 11:11 AM

Pete

Honestly most would not care. In fact it might even help him. :eek:

qh4dotcom
11-01-2008, 11:12 AM
bump

Aratus
11-01-2008, 11:14 AM
boys, boys, boys... the irish in me with a james michael curley purple shamrock glee WANTs to remind young youthful barack about WHO is kin
are in a nice way! the poor woman was happily living where she is in what to a kenyan is a degree of luxury DESPITE our cold winters.
canada has a climate most similar to ours near our mutual border. the poor woman has kin in the U.S.A and if she goes over our border
to the North on occasion, she can stay here for months semi-legally. if barack obama becomes our president, he can let her live in the
White House. heck, she can be a hostess when barack's good wife michele is elsewhere on a trip or two... like to FRANCE!!!

boys,boys boys... think 2012

if BARACK as POTUS don't be HER old age support in a nice way... THINK OF THE NEW YORK POST HEADLINEs!

"SKINFLINT POTUS OBAMA SENDs HALF-AUNT OUT INTO X-MAS COLD! BOO-HISS GOES THIS REPORTER!"

coyote_sprit
11-01-2008, 11:15 AM

Their stuff only comes to a mainstream light when a mainstream partner chooses report on it and they won't.

Aratus
11-01-2008, 11:20 AM
if rep. ron paul his~self could step in to see that INS does right by the poor woman... all to the better!

lodge939
11-01-2008, 11:22 AM
They didn't vet all his relatives as soon as he announced his candidacy? I'm sure they did for all the candidates they dont like

Aratus
11-01-2008, 11:23 AM
lets all be sure she has somewhere nice to go to, this nice woman!!!
CALL young barack and ASK him to come up to the plate... and if
he is MORE of a skinflint than charles dicken's Scrooge... otaaay!

Monolithic
11-01-2008, 11:24 AM
no one will care about this but republicans to be honest

she's his aunt on his fathers side anyway

Aratus
11-01-2008, 11:24 AM
They didn't vet all his relatives as soon as he announced his candidacy? I'm sure they did for all the candidates they dont like

evidently there was a very MINIMAL vetting of people around obama... initially...

Aratus
11-01-2008, 11:26 AM
no one will care about this
but republicans to be honest

she's his aunt on his fathers side anyway

those neo-con republicans ought to have been already savy...

lodge939
11-01-2008, 11:39 AM
What was Obama's answer to Rick Warren on America's moral failing?

something about helping out your brother?

Aratus
11-01-2008, 11:44 AM
esoteric brothers, real actual brothers, and humanity in general! yes... and yes,
if i be a direct decendant of gen'l warren, rick warren is a relative of mine!!!

Aratus
11-01-2008, 11:50 AM
if mccain wins, surely in a mood of generousity ron paul can ask our new potus to take pity on the half aunt of the dude
who thought he had had the election in the bag! as her status is under revue by the INS why not house her at 1600 PENN AVE!
either way! if she who was in a project at taxpayer's expense has to be moved, lets move her to where she can be comfy!
i feel her situation needs to be improved... she was VERY happy where she is now, and although her late half-brother had
this Ph.D in Economics, she may only be semi-literate. she has lived a full life, and this all is bringing the press corp near here...

NewEnd
11-01-2008, 11:53 AM

Pete

:rolleyes:

man, there are some real political amateurs here.

Oh, and "teh MSM" has covered this plenty already today. It is as inconsequential as bob McCains 911 call over traffic.

Aratus
11-01-2008, 11:55 AM
wiki only recently purged the www.johnmccainforum.com from mccain's wiki page...

RonPaulFanInGA
11-01-2008, 12:01 PM
"This is not the aunt I knew."

Aratus
11-01-2008, 12:06 PM
my very kitty dukakis logic is... if obama forgets he has an aunt, even if she's ONLY a half-aunt...
he seems neglectful to the poor woman... he looks tres hyper-liberal and a tad icewater....
sorta like the way the "duke" did in 1988 when he was faced with a certain question mid-debate...

if john mccain actually steps in and helps barack obama's old aunt out during our interum until this january
and a merrie day when a hand goes to a bible, he picks up brownie points for any g.o.p 2012 run!

Monolithic
11-01-2008, 12:09 PM
john mccain isn't going to talk shit about this because immigration is not an issue he wants to bring up to his republican base considering his voting record

Aratus
11-01-2008, 12:11 PM
like even if Barack Obama's half auntie from Kenya done snuck into the merrie auld city of Boston
semi-illegally and BECAUSE maybe mayhap she may not be the very literate person in the family with
:eek: a college degree, for like she DON'T know how illegal she was, only how comfy she now IS!

Monolithic
11-01-2008, 12:12 PM
my very kitty dukakis logic is... if obama forgets he has an aunt, even if she's ONLY a half-aunt...
he seems neglectful to the poor woman... he looks tres hyper-liberal and a tad icewater....
sorta like the way the "duke" did in 1988 when he was faced with a certain question mid-debate...

if john mccain actually steps in and helps barack obama's old aunt out during our interum until this january
and a merrie day when a hand goes to a bible, he picks up brownie points for any g.o.p 2012 run!

he probably hasn't forgot anything, but i wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't know anything about her rarely

remember, she's from his dads side of the family and he only met his dad like..twice?

Aratus
11-01-2008, 12:17 PM
if Gentleman Johnny McCain is a team player and having a brain in his head, like why not take off the fetters on PRESIDENT PALIN? like the only way obama could be closer to our very own "DUKE" is only if he becomes MORE greek than he is! can we say LIBERAL and SINGLE term???

Aratus
11-01-2008, 12:19 PM
he probably hasn't forgot anything,
but i wouldn't be surprised if he
doesn't know anything about her rarely

remember, she's from his dads side of the family
and he only met his dad like..twice?

heck... he can get to know her should he get to D.C
as i said, if he's in 1600 PENN AVE... why not SHE!!!

qh4dotcom
11-02-2008, 12:10 PM
The Reverend Wright's influence on Obama should scare the voters more than a harmless old black woman