PDA

View Full Version : Young Americans for Liberty in the American Conservative

dr. hfn
10-31-2008, 08:03 PM
Daniel McCarthy has recently published his account of the Rally for the Republic and the future of the so-called "Ron Paul movement". In this article, founder and president of Young Americans for Liberty Jeff Frazee is asked a few questions about his ideas for the organization he has started.

"Youth is a common denominator in the efforts inspired by Ron Paul—somewhat ironically, considering that at 72, Paul was the oldest candidate in the 2008 field. The Ron Paul Republicans running for Congress, as well as their staffs, tend to be young. Amit Singh is 33. Jonathan Bydlak is 24. And Jeff Frazee, organizer of the largest youth-based Ron Paul spin-off, is 25.

Frazee remains on Paul’s campaign staff as national youth coordinator. He’s transitioning Students for Paul—with 500 chapters across all 50 states—into something the Right has not had in nearly 30 years: a nationwide organization of young conservatives and libertarians. What Young Americans for Freedom was to Goldwater and Reagan, Frazee hopes his group, Young Americans for Liberty, will be to future Ron Paul Republicans.

“Its mission is winning on principle,” Frazee says of YAL. “I like to see it as a kind of a variation on the Leadership Institute mission to identify, train, and place conservatives in media, public policy, and government—training and placing right-wing libertarians and learning how to win on principle, taking the Leadership Institute and putting more of an ideological bent on it.” As Frazee explains, the Leadership Institute—Republican activist Morton Blackwell’s organization, where Frazee once worked as deputy national field director—is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that cannot turn anyone away from its programs or endorse candidates or legislation.

YAL will have a 501(c)(4) component: supporting and opposing candidates will be very much part of its mission, and it won’t necessarily be open to everyone. “It will be restrictive in the sense that it will be identified with some philosophy,” Frazee says. The group’s activities are planned to be “kind of a take off of the tradition of Young Americans for Freedom, in terms of the amount of activism and youth organization. But at the same time it’s very different from Young Americans for Freedom, too, because of its issues and its philosophy”—which will parallel the ideas of Ron Paul.

Frazee has a mailing list of over 31,000 students, and he’s administrator of a Paul group on Facebook with over 62,500 members. Paul’s personal support for the project means that Frazee should have little trouble raising money. Already he has drawn up plans for a national student conference this summer. “From the interest we’ve had this far, I’m pretty confident we can have at least the low end [attendance] of 250 students, and maybe 500 at the high end.” Once the group is established, Frazee plans to target states “where there’s actually a possibility that a libertarian Republican can win, building up the chapters around there, as well as in some of the key states where we already have strong Students for Ron Paul chapters, and also key states like New Hampshire, where we already have a libertarian mindset.”

With only the College Republicans and College Libertarians to compete with—both of them limited by their status as party auxiliaries—Young Americans for Liberty has the potential to reshape the youth politics of the Right. And as part of a panoply of institutions arising out of the Paul campaign, YAL could be even more influential."

Lets prove him right people!!! Help me raise money for the YAL!!!

source: http://www.amconmag.com/article/2008/apr/21/00013/

http://www.youngamericansforliberty.org/index.php

dr. hfn
10-31-2008, 08:43 PM
this is important

0zzy
10-31-2008, 09:06 PM
post the source dammit.

dr. hfn
10-31-2008, 09:10 PM
happy?

0zzy
10-31-2008, 09:21 PM
happy?

hell ya you sexy little thing

dr. hfn
10-31-2008, 10:16 PM
i am sexy, but Young Americans for Liberty are sexier so lets help them out!

Austin
10-31-2008, 10:37 PM
I really wish RP/CFL would send out an email encouraging people to donate. I've spent a few hours reading over the logistics of YAL, and it really is the future. The structure is already there, and the people involved have their heart in it..

Please, if you can spare any extra money, donate to YAL today!

Shotdown1027
10-31-2008, 10:58 PM
Krippy,

It's coming.

dr. hfn
11-01-2008, 09:57 AM
Yal=the future

Truth Warrior
11-01-2008, 01:29 PM
Is this just a YAF redux for the 21st century? :rolleyes:

dr. hfn
11-01-2008, 03:02 PM
no, the YAL is similar, but different. The YAF supported foreign wars and the YAL doesn't. The YAL champions liberty above all else.

Austin
11-01-2008, 03:06 PM
Krippy,

It's coming.

Hmm. Perhaps after the membership bomb, when such a message will have more of an impact?

Truth Warrior
11-01-2008, 03:06 PM
no, the YAL is similar, but different. The YAF supported foreign wars and the YAL doesn't. The YAL champions liberty above all else. Hmm? I'd have guessed that Young Americans for Liberty would champion liberty above all else. During the YAF days the Cold War and Vietnam were going on. A lot of libertarians originally came from YAF.

Carry on! ;)

mediahasyou
11-01-2008, 06:46 PM
chip. in.