PDA

View Full Version : Wayne Allen Root

DirtMcGirt
10-31-2008, 07:20 PM
He is killing it on Break the Matrix TV right now.

brandon
10-31-2008, 07:21 PM
If by "it" you mean the LP, then I agree.

Neil Kiernan Stephenson
10-31-2008, 07:47 PM
Take it from someone who has met him. He is a used car salesman, and he will throw in some snake oil if you buy now.

Kludge
10-31-2008, 07:52 PM
I'm not sure what's going on, but +1 to #2 & #3. Root's the one character I've never been able to find good in. His interviewing skill and rhetoric is genuinely embarrassing.

Calpico
10-31-2008, 07:55 PM
I hate this guy. He's not a real Libertarian. The man ghas called for War in Iran and more troops to Afghanistan.

Neil Kiernan Stephenson
10-31-2008, 08:02 PM
Well do me and my party a favor and please be an LP delegate in 2012 and make sure this neo-con in Libertarian clothing doesn't get our nomination. Because the deal he made with Barr was that Barr would help him get it.

UnReconstructed
10-31-2008, 08:24 PM
One word:

http://www.hgsc.bcm.tmc.edu/downloads/graphics/Bang.jpg

heavenlyboy34
10-31-2008, 08:38 PM
True, Barr/Root aren't really libertarians, but they're better than the "alternatives" right now. Baldwin is ok, but I'm not convinced he'll be a major force, just because the CP is too small at this time. If you're going to waste your time voting, might as well vote for someone who will register in the tally and be worth discussing afterwards (tho in the low single digits).

JMHO

Neil Kiernan Stephenson
10-31-2008, 08:43 PM
True, Barr/Root aren't really libertarians, but they're better than the "alternatives" right now. Baldwin is ok, but I'm not convinced he'll be a major force, just because the CP is too small at this time. If you're going to waste your time voting, might as well vote for someone who will register in the tally and be worth discussing afterwards (tho in the low single digits).

JMHO

Chuck Baldwin is less Libertarian then either of them. Not by much.

ClockwiseSpark
10-31-2008, 09:08 PM
Chuck Baldwin is less Libertarian then either of them. Not by much.

Taking every opportunity you can find to bash Baldwin? Yeah, that's not in any way divisive. :rolleyes:

This thread is about Root, remember?

Neil Kiernan Stephenson
10-31-2008, 09:12 PM
Someone else mentioned him.

If you don't like my factual posts about Baldwin, stop reading them.

Kludge
10-31-2008, 09:20 PM

An off-topic +1. A member presented what NKS perceived as a fallacy and implied attack on one+ of his positions and so he defended against the perceived attack.

ClockwiseSpark
10-31-2008, 09:21 PM

Only one way to do that and I'll happily oblige you.

Your Baldwin bashing has gone completely off the rails. The interesting thing is that you don't seem to be promoting another candidate as passionately as you argue against Baldwin. I have met a few people like you this past year and the funny thing is; if you weren't such a jackass I would probably be siding with you.

Behave like a dick, get treated like one.

LibertyEagle
10-31-2008, 09:21 PM

:rolleyes:

Neil Kiernan Stephenson
10-31-2008, 09:25 PM
Only one way to do that and I'll happily oblige you.

Your Baldwin bashing has gone completely off the rails. The interesting thing is that you don't seem to be promoting another candidate as passionately as you argue against Baldwin. I have met a few people like you this past year and the funny thing is; if you weren't such a jackass I would probably be siding with you.

Behave like a dick, get treated like one.

So I guess that gives me the right to treat you like a dick?

What have I done to be a jackass? Or a dick? How am I "off the rails"? I respond when other people respond to me, or try to debunk what I have said. Only then. I am bringing up the facts. Some people are angry they have none to debate with me. Other then the theocrats who claim that it is a fact that our country is supposed to be a theocracy in the first place.

DirtMcGirt
10-31-2008, 09:30 PM
I am no way a Wayne Root expert but Ive heard several interviews by him and I will guarantee he will bring in many new LP members. We need a salesman or two to jump start this party. If we don't have go-getters like him we will be sitting on the sideline bitchin about the republicrats the rest of my lifetime. imho

Kludge
10-31-2008, 09:36 PM
I am no way a Wayne Root expert but Ive heard several interviews by him and I will guarantee he will bring in many new LP members. We need a salesman or two to jump start this party. If we don't have go-getters like him we will be sitting on the sideline bitchin about the republicrats the rest of my lifetime. imho

I don't mind a salesman, but WAR is embarrassing on air. He gives off irrelevant similes and "jokes" ("People like to call me a S.O.B... 'Son of a Butcher' [only after a Wikipedia search did I realize his father wasn't a serial killer] huh huh huh) as he interviews and almost never mentions libertarianism. He mentions himself more than principles, and talks of conservatism instead of libertarianism, which wouldn't be bad if he were running for the GOP nomination.

heavenlyboy34
10-31-2008, 10:18 PM
I don't mind a salesman, but WAR is embarrassing on air. He gives off irrelevant similes and "jokes" ("People like to call me a S.O.B... 'Son of a Butcher' [only after a Wikipedia search did I realize his father wasn't a serial killer] huh huh huh) as he interviews and almost never mentions libertarianism. He mentions himself more than principles, and talks of conservatism instead of libertarianism, which wouldn't be bad if he were running for the GOP nomination.

I'm inclined to agree. When he was doing interviews after getting the VP slot, he was constantly going on about how the LP needs to change/moderate its tone to be more sellable to the public, etc., etc. He was one of my biggest disappointments when I joined the LP. :(

NewFederalist
11-01-2008, 07:37 AM
I suspect Root is toast after this election. I don't get the impression the Barr campaign team even cares much for him. I also suspect the thought of him being the LP nominee in 2012 will motivate the so called "purists" to get behind one candidate fairly early on to prevent him from having a shot. But then again, it is the LP we're talking about here...

FindLiberty
11-01-2008, 07:51 AM
Now it sounds like WAR is the new self-destruct button for the LP?

I thought that was Barr's job...

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I'll just have to hold my nose and vote for the LP candidate(s) in 2008.

Neil Kiernan Stephenson
11-01-2008, 08:37 AM

The problem with it is that he is far too obviously a salesman. When he did the Michigan delegation a "favor" of allowing us to use his room at the LP convention, afterward he kind of pressured us into listening to him talk about why he needed to be president, being exposed to him most directly I realized it was like talking to an Amway rep trying to sell a pyramid scheme. He sends off all kinds of warnings to the blue collar crowd. He is too much of a salesman.

Neil Kiernan Stephenson
11-01-2008, 08:39 AM
I'm inclined to agree. When he was doing interviews after getting the VP slot, he was constantly going on about how the LP needs to change/moderate its tone to be more sellable to the public, etc., etc. He was one of my biggest disappointments when I joined the LP. :(

That message comes from the Libertarian reform caucus. Which is linked on his website. But when we interviewed him on the North Virginia Patriots show he made it clear that he was not in any way involved with them.

We then went to their website, and he was linked and promoted on that website as well.

Needless to say, we felt we were being lied to.

I do feel we need to change our APPROACH to the message, but not change the message itself.

Neil Kiernan Stephenson
11-01-2008, 08:43 AM
I suspect Root is toast after this election. I don't get the impression the Barr campaign team even cares much for him. I also suspect the thought of him being the LP nominee in 2012 will motivate the so called "purists" to get behind one candidate fairly early on to prevent him from having a shot. But then again, it is the LP we're talking about here...

No way. The purists hate him. They also hate Barr. The problem is that the LP nomination is more decided by travel expenses then actual viability of a candidate. Bob Barr had a lot of his delegates bussed in. Mary Ruwart had real supporters who showed up without any help from her. As did Mike Gravel, George Phillies and the others.

If you don't want another train wreck in the LP's nomination, join the party and become a delegate. It is very easy to become a delegate in the LP, attend the convention and make sure this never happens again. It is a much easier task to save the LP right now then it is to reform the GOP. (Not saying we shouldn't do that too, mind you). There are no rules to prevent you from being part of the LP and the GOP at the same time. (Ron Paul is also a member of the LP and the GOP)

Also, consider the Boston Tea Party, which is waiting to be the safety net for Libertarianism if we fail to make the LP what it needs to be again. I really wish this Ron Paul revolution would of happened in 2004. Michael Badnarik was a great candidate and he would of done us proud.

NewFederalist
11-02-2008, 09:05 AM
I think you missed my point. I am aware the "purists" don't like Root. That why I said perhaps they would solidify behind one person early on to prevent Root from gaining the 2012 nomination. BTW, I have been a delegate to many LP national conventions in the past. My first was in 1979 (Los Angeles) where we nominated Ed Clark. (I actually voted for Bill Hunscher that year but was pleased with Clark.)

JosephTheLibertarian
11-02-2008, 09:29 AM
No way. The purists hate him. They also hate Barr. The problem is that the LP nomination is more decided by travel expenses then actual viability of a candidate. Bob Barr had a lot of his delegates bussed in. Mary Ruwart had real supporters who showed up without any help from her. As did Mike Gravel, George Phillies and the others.

If you don't want another train wreck in the LP's nomination, join the party and become a delegate. It is very easy to become a delegate in the LP, attend the convention and make sure this never happens again. It is a much easier task to save the LP right now then it is to reform the GOP. (Not saying we shouldn't do that too, mind you). There are no rules to prevent you from being part of the LP and the GOP at the same time. (Ron Paul is also a member of the LP and the GOP)

Also, consider the Boston Tea Party, which is waiting to be the safety net for Libertarianism if we fail to make the LP what it needs to be again. I really wish this Ron Paul revolution would of happened in 2004. Michael Badnarik was a great candidate and he would of done us proud.

ha. Phillies' positions are actually less libertarian than Barr. Don't you know that he supports the Fed? Supports marriage licenses, supports protectionism, supports the federal Income Tax, among other things.

Neil Kiernan Stephenson
11-02-2008, 09:33 AM
ha. Phillies' positions are actually less libertarian than Barr. Don't you know that he supports the Fed? Supports marriage licenses, supports protectionism, supports the federal Income Tax, among other things.

Didn't say I liked Phillies, or that I voted for him. However Phillies did try to wage an honest campaign and did not spend vast sums of money to get his delegates to the convention.

The price of the LP nomination? Enough bus tickets.

JosephTheLibertarian
11-02-2008, 09:34 AM
Didn't say I liked Phillies, or that I voted for him. However Phillies did try to wage an honest campaign and did not spend vast sums of money to get his delegates to the convention.

The price of the LP nomination? Enough bus tickets.

Phillies is annoying. Just looking at him loses my support

http://phillies2008.org/files/george_phillies.jpg

ewwww