PDA

View Full Version : RP should have bought TV AD like Obama

sharpsteve2003
10-31-2008, 03:20 AM
Should CFL buy TV ADs like Obama?

This post is not to look back and do the should of, would of, could of, but to look forward and ask if this is something that could work for the Revolution in the future.

Obama spent 4 million to do his campaign infomercial and reached about 33.6 million people with the half hour spots.
Source: http://www.newsday.com/services/newspaper/printedition/friday/news/ny-txtobam315905384oct31,0,3421515.story

Ron Paul raised 6 million in one day that could have paid for this type of Mainstream TV time. Even the money left at the end of Ron Paul's campaign, around 5 million, could have paid for a nationwide TV spot.

How much more might have been raised to do more TV after, and keep it building on itself?

This also would give the opportunity to talk about real issues without the filter of some talking head asking questions that have nothing to do with the real issues.

So my question is: How many would contribute to a half hour Prime time Nationwide TV spots for the Campaign for Liberty in the future? Not just for a election campaign, but as a way to inform/educate and build support.

Maybe a half hour about the Federal Reserve and the economy.

I have also posted this on Daily Paul and Break the Matrix for discussion.
http://www.dailypaul.com/node/71143
http://www.breakthematrix.com/content/Should-CFL-buy-TV-ADs-like-Obama

Conza88
10-31-2008, 03:32 AM
Wouldn't change, nor alter shit all...

Hmmm K? :)

Kludge
10-31-2008, 03:35 AM
Wouldn't change, nor alter shit all...

Hmmm K? :)

Keep tabs on your Halloween alcohol intake (pun unintended and unwanted).

ItsTime
10-31-2008, 04:01 AM
From what I understand they were not going to charge Ron Paul 4 million.

Conza88
10-31-2008, 05:40 AM
Keep tabs on your Halloween alcohol intake (pun unintended and unwanted).

:confused: -> :rolleyes:

lodge939
10-31-2008, 05:55 AM
From what I understand they were not going to charge Ron Paul 4 million.Hah

Obama probably got the family discount like moveon did at the NYT

Bern
10-31-2008, 06:50 AM
If Ron Paul could have bought 30 minute slots of prime time TV for even twice what they charged Obama, I would have contributed to it (and prayed that the campaign hired some fucking experts to produce the video).

sharpsteve2003
10-31-2008, 06:54 AM
If Ron Paul could have bought 30 minute slots of prime time TV for even twice what they charged Obama, I would have contributed to it (and prayed that the campaign hired some fucking experts to produce the video).

Thanks for actually answering the question.

LibertyEagle
10-31-2008, 07:05 AM
Should CFL buy TV ADs like Obama?

This post is not to look back and do the should of, would of, could of, but to look forward and ask if this is something that could work for the Revolution in the future.

So my question is: How many would contribute to a half hour Prime time Nationwide TV spots for the Campaign for Liberty in the future?

It would probably be a great idea, especially the infomercial. But, they would have to do a much better job of putting something together that effectively conveyed the message, was professional, not to mention pulled on people's emotions, than I have ever seen them do to date.

AdamT
10-31-2008, 08:03 AM
Well they did run a 30 minute infomercial in Iowa before the caucuses, and from what I remember I was horrified at how horrible and amateurish it was.

LibertyEagle
10-31-2008, 08:10 AM
well they did run a 30 minute infomercial in iowa before the caucuses, and from what i remember i was horrified at how horrible and amateurish it was.

qft

klamath
10-31-2008, 08:49 AM
Just a hand shake and a talk with every person in NH would have been the best. NH launches the leader and it is up to them to keep it going.

orenbus
10-31-2008, 09:29 AM
Well when ron paul runs in 2012 we just get the campaign to do a contest, the person that can best put together a 5 minute commercial gets the contract to produce a 30 minute with a campaign budget. One of the greatest things that came out of the campaign was that ron paul supporters from varying backgrounds and skill sets came together, if you follow free market principals in creation of campaign promotion material and video a 30 minute ad created by supporters would have been amazing. I know for a fact there are Ron Paul supporters that work in the movie industry that would have probably have done it for free if they were given a budget and the green light.

MRoCkEd
10-31-2008, 09:35 AM
Yeah, but they might have just played the "He's catchin' on, I'm tellin' ya'" ad 60 times in a row.. lol

HOLLYWOOD
10-31-2008, 09:36 AM
From what I understand they were not going to charge Ron Paul 4 million.

Ron Paul would be charged $24 MILLION for the same primetime and channels.

MSM, who they want, for what they want... the 4th branch of Government CessPool

acptulsa
10-31-2008, 09:40 AM
Ron Paul would be charged $24 MILLION for the same primetime and channels.

MSM, who they want, for what they want... the 4th branch of Government CessPool

This plus I don't think Ron Paul would have done it as he would have known that they'd have taken his money and then turned around and compared him (unfavorably) to Ross Perot.

As for a CFL infomercial, I doubt it would keep people tuned in unless it were made very entertaining. But I'd sure like to take a crack at writing some satirical skits for it... :D

FindLiberty
10-31-2008, 09:52 AM
...As for a CFL infomercial, I doubt it would keep people tuned in unless it were made very entertaining. But I'd sure like to take a crack at writing some satirical skits for it... :D

Me help too. (I'm one of many RP supporters with applicable background and skill set...)

If only the herds of kittens could somehow collaborate, and together produce a kick-ass educational/motivational video.

yongrel
10-31-2008, 09:57 AM
He did.

acptulsa
10-31-2008, 10:10 AM
He did.

I think the OP was talking about airing something nationwide.

UtahApocalypse
10-31-2008, 10:25 AM
This is exactly where the campaign failed. They had the money, the grassroots had the ability to make things happen (ames ad, USA today ad) the campaign however completely lacked execution. THIS is why were not getting ready to celebrate next Wednesday.

max
10-31-2008, 10:37 AM
Campaign was run by corporate types....no imagination whatsoever...

Enough money was raised to compleetly saturate New Hamphsire media 24/7 with substantive material....

Instead, they used just a fraction of their warchest on New Hampshite to run those "he's catchin on" pieces...

They should have had Aravoth putting emotional videos together and then should have spent 10 million on NH alone...

after a 1st or 2nd place showing...the warchest would have refilled....

we were done after NH

sharpsteve2003
10-31-2008, 11:48 AM
bump

Truth Warrior
10-31-2008, 11:53 AM
FWIW, that's what several other folks and I said, repeatedly, on the RPF in December. :rolleyes:

sharpsteve2003
10-31-2008, 04:23 PM
bump

UtahApocalypse
10-31-2008, 04:31 PM
FWIW, that's what several other folks and I said, repeatedly, on the RPF in December. :rolleyes:

I know, this only validates that it was something that we had the money to really do.

ItsTime
10-31-2008, 04:32 PM
I know, this only validates that it was something that we had the money to really do.

They were going to charge Ron Paul 10s of millions for the exact same air time.

dr. hfn
10-31-2008, 04:36 PM
maybe we can do this in 2012. make the commercials intelligent and high quality. don't dumb down our message.

hotbrownsauce
10-31-2008, 04:38 PM
OBAMA HAS HIS OWN SATELLITE STATION! I was at my brothers house and remembered hearing previously that Obama had his own station... Sure enough, as I was searching for a decent TV program on my bro's satellite dish, THERE IT WAS, Obama TV!
I made a little laugh cause it was soo funny.

I'd donate for Paul all the time but I'm broke as heeeeell.

liberteebell
10-31-2008, 04:42 PM
Campaign was run by corporate types....no imagination whatsoever...

Enough money was raised to compleetly saturate New Hamphsire media 24/7 with substantive material....

Instead, they used just a fraction of their warchest on New Hampshite to run those "he's catchin on" pieces...

They should have had Aravoth putting emotional videos together and then should have spent 10 million on NH alone...
after a 1st or 2nd place showing...the warchest would have refilled....

we were done after NH

+2008

I would happily work my a$$ off to raise money if they'd hire some of the talent from the grassroots who know how to turn fact into positive emotion for educational informercials.

NewEnd
10-31-2008, 04:55 PM
Well they did run a 30 minute infomercial in Iowa before the caucuses, and from what I remember I was horrified at how horrible and amateurish it was.

Yes, it was a nightmare, that opened with 5 or 6 minutes dedicated to his pro-life views. It was amateur, and the directors opinions of what Ron Paul stood for made him produce a divisive, instead of unifying video. I remember being very upset.

The first 30 second spots were not bad, but not good. They should have recruited Aravoth, adn ponied up money for real music... maybe from the likes of... the country guy.. with the braids... not Kenny Rogers.... escapes my mind at the moment.

AJ Antimony
10-31-2008, 06:20 PM
If you think about it, it actually seems pretty worthless unless it's anticipated and talked about. If I'm an average American and as I flip through the channels I see a commercial about the Fed, then I'm going to keep going. The reason 33 million people saw Obama's commercial wasn't because 33 million people happened to be watching TV right then, it was because people wanted to see the longest ad of the campaign season.

If memory serves, Ross Perot bought hour long infomercial and that didn't win him an electoral votes, so it's not as efficient as you think. The only way a significant number of people would watch it is if it was during the election season so the MSM would hype it up. A thirty minute infomercial otherwise, any other time of the year, will be ignored.

rockandrollsouls
10-31-2008, 06:51 PM
I suggested the purchase of prime time TV in the primaries, prior to Obamas announcement.

You guys wanted a blimp :confused:

sharpsteve2003
11-01-2008, 07:41 AM
bump

Austin
11-01-2008, 09:04 AM
Nope. The one they did in Iowa was terrible. Also, educating the people will not work.

Mike Rothfeld woke me up on that one.

DirtMcGirt
10-15-2009, 07:58 PM
Can they do this? CFL

what about an infomercial featuring RP, Stossel, Kokesh, and Lew R with a clip from for liberty...

They need to buy some late-late night time slots a week before Christmas...

Akus
10-15-2009, 08:16 PM

You tube link?

Akus
10-15-2009, 08:19 PM
If you think about it, it actually seems pretty worthless unless it's anticipated and talked about. If I'm an average American and as I flip through the channels I see a commercial about the Fed, then I'm going to keep going. The reason 33 million people saw Obama's commercial wasn't because 33 million people happened to be watching TV right then, it was because people wanted to see the longest ad of the campaign season.

If memory serves, Ross Perot bought hour long infomercial and that didn't win him an electoral votes, so it's not as efficient as you think. The only way a significant number of people would watch it is if it was during the election season so the MSM would hype it up. A thirty minute infomercial otherwise, any other time of the year, will be ignored.

IIRC, Ross Perot was hauling ass and taking names, that is, until he himself fucked it all up by suddenly not running and then suddenly running again.

Why exactly are we toying around with this infomercial idea again? Aren't the elections over? Or are we doing this for 2012? I thought this was about "changing hearts and minds", not obtaining actual tangible victories...

libertarian4321
10-16-2009, 02:07 PM

We'd have one other major problem.

As much as I love what Ron Paul stands for, he is NOT charismatic. While he did significantly improve his delivery during the campaign, he is still far from riveting. People who know who he is and like him will watch, but people who don't know him or his message, and just see some old guy droning on about the Fed (or whatever) are not going to stop clicking that remote.