PDA

View Full Version : Should some people NOT vote?

Tarabell952
10-30-2008, 10:52 PM
Here is a video showing the many (sarcasm) intelligent voters we have in this country. I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvl0lqhCVio&feature=related

If people really are this stupid, we sure have our work cut out for us.

Grimnir Wotansvolk
10-30-2008, 11:04 PM
Absolutely

in fact, if we cut the voting block down to about 1/10th, we'd be home free

Tarabell952
10-30-2008, 11:07 PM
Yeah, it would be nice to institute some kind of test, where you needed even just a basic knowledge of politics and the electoral system. Unfortunately, it's not going to happen, because if it did, their system would collapse. They depend on idiots in order to get elected.

Matt Collins
10-30-2008, 11:11 PM
See this post for an example of what happened in Florida today:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=165582

libertythor
10-30-2008, 11:13 PM
The intellectually disabled (IQ below 80, but I would be inclined to raise the bar to 85), convicted violent felons, non citizens, persons not able to read at least to the 6th grade level in their own language and are under 55, individuals with uncontrollable and profound mental illness....

Of course this is IMO!

Kludge
10-30-2008, 11:16 PM
Most shouldn't, but there certainly shouldn't be any legislation against them voting, and especially no legislation in which the government can declare who is and is not capable of voting!!

ClayTrainor
10-30-2008, 11:17 PM
Great video, stossel is awesome!

Tarabell952
10-30-2008, 11:41 PM
Most shouldn't, but there certainly shouldn't be any legislation against them voting, and especially no legislation in which the government can declare who is and is not capable of voting!!

I completely agree. Of course, if the government could decide who did and did not have the right to vote, then they could easily find a way to ban anyone who disagrees with them from voting. Unfortunately, as long as we have tons of idiots voting we will have tons of idiots in government.

I talked to someone who wasn't aware that you didn't have to vote for every single race/ballot proposal listed on the ballot. She said she didn't know who anyone was besides the president but thought you were required to vote in all. I asked her how she chose and she said she picked the "nicest sounding names". :eek:

I wish there was some way to keep people like that at home.

Matt Collins
10-30-2008, 11:44 PM

cska80
10-31-2008, 02:22 AM
Here's my law!

Each year, if you recieve more from the federal or state government than you earn on your own, and you're under the age of 55, and you are not physically handicapped, and you are not a veteran, you are uneligible to vote.

Joseph Hart
10-31-2008, 02:57 AM
All Obama and McCain supporters shouldn't vote
/jedi mind trick

nodope0695
10-31-2008, 03:34 AM
I think only taxpayers should be allowed to vote....:D

Kludge
10-31-2008, 03:36 AM

Even illegal immigrants pay taxes.

nodope0695
10-31-2008, 03:39 AM
Even illegal immigrants pay taxes.

I know...I'm just being silly.:)

Kludge
10-31-2008, 03:43 AM
I know...I'm just being silly.:)

http://ramblingrhodes.mu.nu/archives/internet-serious-business-cat.jpg

Truth Warrior
10-31-2008, 04:05 AM
Just not the ones that always vote wrong, the statists. ;)

Truth Warrior
10-31-2008, 04:08 AM
I think only voters should be taxed.....:D

;)

Slist
10-31-2008, 04:34 AM
Ah, some sort of mandatory "driving license" for voting would be great. You get it if you can answer a set of basic questions randomly choosen from a big catalogue all parties approve.... that would be great!

Real_CaGeD
10-31-2008, 04:46 AM
I support property/mortgage holder voters only.

Truth Warrior
10-31-2008, 04:47 AM
Ah, some sort of mandatory "driving license" for voting would be great. You get it if you can answer a set of basic questions randomly choosen from a big catalogue all parties approve.... that would be great! Several southern states used to require passing a test before being allowed to vote. One of the Civil Rights Acts in the '60s struck that down. :(

Matt Collins
10-31-2008, 07:32 AM
Look - we all know that stupid people should not vote. The problem with licensing or regulating who can and cannot vote is that the control will be in the hands of the government. You can BET MONEY that control will then be abused to help sway the election one way or another.

As bad as it is, I really don't want to give the government more power. I would rather have stupid people with more power than the government if I had to choose.

Truth Warrior
10-31-2008, 07:37 AM
Look - we all know that stupid people should not vote. The problem with licensing or regulating who can and cannot vote is that the control will be in the hands of the government. You can BET MONEY that control will then be abused to help sway the election one way or another.

As bad as it is, I really don't want to give the government more power. I would rather have stupid people with more power than the government if I had to choose. Stupid, ignorant and greedy voters are much easier to BUY.

There's a BUNCH of 'em. :( :p :rolleyes: ( MILLIONS! )

"A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend upon the support of Paul. " -- George Bernard Shaw

LibertyEagle
10-31-2008, 07:43 AM
I support property/mortgage holder voters only.

You sure about that? In today's climate, they have every bit as much reason as others to vote for someone who is going to use our tax money to bail them out of their mortgage mess.

D.H.
10-31-2008, 07:49 AM
Well, you know the saying....people get the government they deserve....voters being so uninformed shows how we got into this situation and why it won't change anytime soon.

I have one positive thing to say; I have an aquaintance and his wife who are very uneducated (not being rude, but 1 HS and other no higher than 8th grade and not very interested in most issues to boot) who asked me about different candidates to vote for.

I try not to stereotype after that because they are a LOT smarter than the average voter....they are "single issue" voters who leave most of the ballot blank if they don't know anything about the other candidates. They said they could be making a problem worse if they pick randomly. I was really impressed.

That is the opposite of what I hear when I ask people why they voted the way they did.....There are a lot of people who are under the mistaken impression that they have to fill the whole ballot out or it will be rejected.

Truth Warrior
10-31-2008, 07:55 AM
Hence the SIMPLE and "brain dead" provided voting machine option of one click to vote the complete "straight" party slate and line.

DUH raised to the googol power. :rolleyes:

FindLiberty
10-31-2008, 08:03 AM
Maybe it should be suggested to "some people" that they just show up to vote on November 6th ...in order to avoid waiting in all those long lines at all the polling places on Tuesday, 11/05/08.

Truth Warrior
10-31-2008, 08:18 AM
Maybe it should be suggested to "some people" that they just show up to vote on November 6th ...in order to avoid waiting in all those long lines at all the polling places on Tuesday, 11/05/08. Yep, that's been done a bunch too, on both party sides, "an oldie but a goodie". :p

"The system is corrupt, beyond redemption, and is not worthy of my support!"

Original_Intent
10-31-2008, 08:45 AM

agreed.

If you aren't paying any net taxes, you are already leeching off the system. You should certainly not have any more voice in trying to vote other peoples money into your pockets.

Actually, the Constitution should bind leaders down to the point that anyone - even children - could vote.

Elwar
10-31-2008, 08:49 AM
Get out the vote movements are idiotic. If you need to have some get out the vote group to help you vote then you should not be voting in the first place.

The key is to lead the sheep. Do you really think that all the people who voted for McCain in the primary thought he was the best candidate of the lot or were they going with the flow? McCain had the media on his side because he was the most liberal Republican running...and now, surprise surprise, the media ignores him.

Idiots...the whole lot of them...idiots.

Truth Warrior
10-31-2008, 08:51 AM
agreed.

If you aren't paying any net taxes, you are already leeching off the system. You should certainly not have any more voice in trying to vote other peoples money into your pockets. So how come the voting MINORITY gets to tax the non-voters? Is this a BS "system" or what?

enjerth
10-31-2008, 10:58 AM
All Obama and McCain supporters shouldn't vote
/jedi mind trick

These aren't the candidates you're looking for.

Theocrat
10-31-2008, 11:06 AM
Some people should not vote...for McCain nor Obama.

Truth Warrior
10-31-2008, 11:25 AM
Some people should not vote...for McCain nor Obama. One of those two will win, we ( America ) will lose. ;) YOUR CP will merely be lumped in with all of the other "also rans". :p :rolleyes:

acptulsa
10-31-2008, 11:27 AM
Several southern states used to require passing a test before being allowed to vote. One of the Civil Rights Acts in the '60s struck that down. :(

And for good reason. The poll workers determined who could pass the test--and, amazingly enough, all the poll workers were white. Needless to say, illiterate whites were much less illiterate than even very literate blacks.

I think they should not repeat that mistake. But I'd dearly love to see straight-party voting eliminated, and I'd love to see the little Ds, Rs and Is removed from the ballot completely and forever. If you want to vote for your party in this race, find out who your party's running in it. Is that too much to ask?

Mini-Me
10-31-2008, 11:30 AM
Several southern states used to require passing a test before being allowed to vote. One of the Civil Rights Acts in the '60s struck that down. :(

Abolishing that test was a good thing, considering it was all about racial discrimination. If such a test were administered today, the focus of it would be discriminating against anyone who isn't an outright statist.

Truth Warrior
10-31-2008, 11:32 AM
And for good reason. The poll workers determined who could pass the test--and, amazingly enough, all the poll workers were white. Needless to say, illiterate whites were much less illiterate than even very literate blacks.

I think they should not repeat that mistake. But I'd dearly love to see straight-party voting eliminated, and I'd love to see the little Ds, Rs and Is removed from the ballot completely and forever. If you want to vote for your party in this race, find out who your party's running in it. Is that too much to ask? No, not at all, the brass on the Titanic could still use some more polishing. :rolleyes:

libertythor
10-31-2008, 11:34 AM
IQ testing would do the trick. Weed out those who are under 80-85. On top of that the voter should at least read at a Jr. High level in their main language. Convicted violent felons must be barred as well.

Imagine how many Los Angeles voters would be purged just based on the reading one. Yes! I swear to God that a shitload LA folks tend to be functionally illiterate. If it were a state it would have to be second to Mississippi in illiteracy.

Truth Warrior
10-31-2008, 11:37 AM
Abolishing that test was a good thing, considering it was all about racial discrimination. If such a test were administered today, the focus of it would be discriminating against anyone who isn't an outright statist. Don't outright statist U.S. citizens have a "right" to vote? ;)

Truth Warrior
10-31-2008, 11:41 AM
IQ testing would do the trick. Weed out those who are under 80-85. On top of that the voter should at least read at a Jr. High level in their main language. Convicted violent felons must be barred as well.

Imagine how many Los Angeles voters would be purged just based on the reading one. Yes! I swear to God that a shitload LA folks tend to be functionally illiterate. If it were a state it would have to be second to Mississippi in illiteracy. I read a stat a few years back that claimed that ~70% of Americans are functionally illiterate. That seems just about right to me. :(

libertythor
10-31-2008, 11:42 AM
That doesn't surprise me. Its probably worse in some areas than others.

I read a stat a few years back that claimed that ~70% of Americans are functionally illiterate. That seems just about right to me. :(

Matt Collins
10-31-2008, 11:43 AM
Stupid, ignorant and greedy voters are much easier to BUY.So thou with the most money wins the election?

Matt Collins
10-31-2008, 11:45 AM
who leave most of the ballot blank if they don't know anything about the other candidates. They said they could be making a problem worse if they pick randomly. I was really impressed.We need more voters like this!

Matt Collins
10-31-2008, 11:45 AM
Get out the vote movements are idiotic. Except they are used as a tool of campaigns to help win.

Todd
10-31-2008, 11:47 AM
I certainly sometimes think about a world where everyone can't vote

The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter. -- Winston Churchill

I'm not quite sure how that belief fits in with Liberty for all though. :confused:

Theocrat
10-31-2008, 11:49 AM
One of those two will win, we ( America ) will lose. ;) YOUR CP will merely be lumped in with all of the other "also rans". :p :rolleyes:

That's sad but true, my friend. At least I can rest with a clean conscience after the election, knowing that I've voted for principle and moral decency.

Truth Warrior
10-31-2008, 11:49 AM
So thou with the most money wins the election?

U.S. Federal government bought and paid for DECADES ago! ;)

Still hate that "Quote" button, eh? :rolleyes:

Mini-Me
10-31-2008, 11:51 AM

Imagine how many Los Angeles voters would be purged just based on the reading one. Yes! I swear to God that a shitload LA folks tend to be functionally illiterate. If it were a state it would have to be second to Mississippi in illiteracy.

I disagree with barring convicted felons from voting, bearing arms, or anything else. If they're free from prison, they've served their time. Restrictions like this only give politicians incentives to make every minor offense a felony...if they could, they'd make posting on this forum a felony. Some day, they might...posting here may eventually be considered "aiding and abetting homegrown extremist groups," or something like that.

Mini-Me
10-31-2008, 11:53 AM
Don't outright statist U.S. citizens have a "right" to vote? ;)

If we are to be "ruled" by any elected officials in any capacity - limited or not - then yes, every single individual certainly has a right to have a say. My point was that eligibility tests purposely filter out voters that the state itself does not want voting.

Truth Warrior
10-31-2008, 11:58 AM
If we are to be "ruled" by any elected officials in any capacity - limited or not - then yes, every single individual certainly has a right to have a say. My point was that eligibility tests purposely filter out voters that the state itself does not want voting. I think it's more a party issue than a state issue. From whatever source, it's still just more divide and conquer, power and control. :p :rolleyes:

heavenlyboy34
10-31-2008, 12:11 PM
agreed.
If you aren't paying any net taxes, you are already leeching off the system. You should certainly not have any more voice in trying to vote other peoples money into your pockets.

If you accept that premise, then you should also accept that only property holders/voters are subject to the laws they pass directly or via representative. Agree?

libertythor
10-31-2008, 12:11 PM
People who think these simple voter registration requirements are too difficult and disenfranchise should not only not vote, but be expelled from the US.

Check out these requirements: http://www.co.durham.nc.us/departments/elec/Voter_Registration.html

A freaking mobile phone or sewer bill!! How hard is that?

Acceptable forms of identification include:

A North Carolina driver’s license with current address

A utility bill with name and current address
-A telephone or mobile phone bill
-An electric or gas bill
-A cable television bill
-A water or sewage bill

A document with name and current address from a local, state, or U.S. government agency, such as:
-A passport
-A government-issued photo ID
-U.S. military ID
-A license to hunt, fish, own a gun, etc.
-A property or other tax bill
-Automotive or vehicle registration
-Certified documentation of naturalization
-A public housing or Social Service Agency document
-A check, invoice, or letter from a government agency
-A birth certificate

A student photo ID along with a document from the school showing the student’s name and current address

A paycheck or paycheck stub from an employer or a W-2 statement

A bank statement or bank-issued credit card statement

Truth Warrior
10-31-2008, 12:18 PM
That's sad but true, my friend. At least I can rest with a clean conscience after the election, knowing that I've voted for principle and moral decency. As can I, knowing that I have not been any party to, nor willing participant in our continued enslavement process, by the state, by principled not voting. ;)

Knightskye
10-31-2008, 12:51 PM
John Stossel makes a really good point! :D

But I think older voters would have given the same answers.

Anyone else catch the cover of the book they showed?

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51GhumBGG7L._SL500_.jpg

Truth Warrior
10-31-2008, 01:04 PM
John Stossel makes a really good point! :D

But I think older voters would have given the same answers.

Anyone else catch the cover of the book they showed?

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51GhumBGG7L._SL500_.jpg

I LOVE that title and book cover.:D

"We shall get nowhere until we start by recognizing that political behavior is largely non-rational, that the world is suffering from some kind of mental disease which must be diagnosed before it can be cured. " -- George Orwell

Knightskye
11-02-2008, 01:16 PM
I LOVE that title and book cover.:D

"We shall get nowhere until we start by recognizing that political behavior is largely non-rational, that the world is suffering from some kind of mental disease which must be diagnosed before it can be cured. " -- George Orwell

Good quote. :)

mediahasyou
11-02-2008, 01:20 PM
No one should vote. Says Philosophy of Liberty: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8z1buym2xUM