PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul Noticed in Montana

ProBlue33
10-30-2008, 09:59 PM
http://www.electoral-vote.com/

Scroll down and read this

Ron Paul Could Be a Spoiler in Montana

"Rep. Ron Paul (R-TX) is on the ballot in Montana on the Constitution Party line and could play the role of a spoiler. Although Paul has not campaigned in the state, he is popular in this libertarian state and could draw votes away from John McCain here. Recent polls have shown Montana to be close, so Paul might tip the state's three electoral votes to Barack Obama."

How awesome would that be.

Jeremy
10-30-2008, 10:02 PM
It would increase the chance of the statist history books including RP =)

RonPaulFanInGA
10-30-2008, 10:04 PM
It'd be only funny to me if Montana was the difference.

Could you imagine McCain getting 268 or 269 electoral votes after having lost Montana by 1%, with Ron Paul getting 5%?

Jeremy
10-30-2008, 10:04 PM
It'd be only funny to me if Montana was the difference.

Could you imagine McCain getting 268 or 269 electoral votes after having lost Montana by 1%, with Ron Paul getting 5%?

lol, no way it's gonna be that close this time

But that would be crazy :eek:

ProBlue33
10-30-2008, 10:25 PM
But it would be sweet revenge if Ron Paul supporters cost McCain Montana and then the election.

ProBlue33
10-30-2008, 10:34 PM
Ron Paul should go to Montana and hold a rally on monday.

emazur
10-31-2008, 12:45 AM
this isn't the first time he's been noticed, check out what the MT governor has to say:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rgt6egzgBIg

merrimac
10-31-2008, 02:09 AM
I'm from Montana and I've heard that Ron Paul's name will be THE FIRST name you see on the ballot. How cool is that?

Even though I have no intention of voting for Obama, I think it would be funny if he won the state. Ron Paul might get a lot of the credit but I think some of it will be that stupid joke McCain keeps repeating about grizzly bears in Montana. Maybe if McCain loses Montana he will finally shut up about it. Obama has visited Montana more than any presidential candidate ever. McCain has made fun of Montana more than any presidential candidate ever. McCain might well lose this state.

kombayn
10-31-2008, 02:14 AM
I think it's logical to say that Ron Paul will get at least 50,000 votes nationwide. With him as a write-in candidate too, I think 65,000 is also plausible. It'll be interesting for sure.

z7trance
10-31-2008, 04:44 AM
I remember when i was about 10 years old i was on a road trip with my grandparents driving through south western Canada and back through north western U.S.

One of my more vivid memories is actually passing through Montana when they had no speed limit and thinking holy shit, this is the coolest place ever!

News items like this remind me of that place.

Joseph Hart
10-31-2008, 04:51 AM
Ron Paul could play spoiler Nov. 4
By MATT GOURAS - Associated Press - 10/29/08
AP Photo/Matt Gouras - Z-600 AM radio station owner John Stokes poses outside his radio station in Kalispell on Oct. 23. He uses his talk show to advance Ron Paul, who is on the ballot in Montana under The Constitution Party banner and could steal votes from Republican John McCain. Montana is typically safe territory for Republican presidential candidates — President Bush won the state by about 20 points in both 2000 and 2004, and only two Democratic presidential candidates have carried the state since 1948. But Obama staked out Montana early on as a potential battleground state and he's sticking with it to the end.
KALISPELL — Along a stretch of Highway 93, signs supporting former GOP presidential candidate Ron Paul almost outnumber those of the party’s presidential nominee, John McCain.

It’s been months since Paul officially left the race, and yet a series of circumstances has the Texas congressman right in the middle of the presidential race in Montana. Political observers say Paul, on the ballot as a third-party candidate, will likely draw some votes away from McCain.

And if the race is close, Paul could be the difference.

“Ron Paul is the wild card,” said David Hart, who oversaw Paul’s campaign in Montana during the primary. “A lot of people are not happy with that.”

In parts of western Montana, Paul attracts independent-minded voters who are drawn to a libertarian message. Only in Montana does Paul appear on the ballot as a Constitution Party candidate.

“People are just fed up with the mainstream parties,” said John Stokes, owner of Z-600 AM radio station in Kalispell. “Folks see this country is on a downward slope, and not adhering to the Constitution.”

Stokes has erected a large “Ron Paul Revolution” sign outside the station and uses his talk show to promote Paul. He said he wouldn’t be surprised if Paul gets 8 to 10 percent of the vote in Montana on Nov. 4.

None of this would have been possible without Paul’s supporters, who put his name forward as the Constitution Party of Montana candidate. Paul later asked the secretary of state’s office to remove his name from the ballot, but state officials said they couldn’t.

Paul has not been campaigning in the state and has even asked supporters to write in Chuck Baldwin, the national Constitution Party candidate. Paul did not respond to requests for an interview.

During the GOP primary, some of Paul’s strongest support came in Montana. He received about a quarter of the vote in the state’s June primary — even after it was clear McCain was the party’s presumptive nominee.

Now he could play spoiler to McCain, whose lead in the polls in Montana has diminished. A recent MSU-Billings poll had the presidential race within the margin of error, with Paul drawing 4 percent.

Democrat Barack Obama has been sinking money and resources into Montana in attempt to turn the traditionally red state blue. McCain has largely ignored the state, although the Republican National Committee will begin independently airing ads in Montana this week.

“Absolutely he (Paul) will pull some votes from McCain,” said MSU-Billings political scientist Craig Wilson. “It potentially could make it competitive.”

Gov. Brian Schweitzer agrees. The Democrat is supporting Obama and believes Paul could help Obama carry a state that has backed the Republican presidential candidate all but two times since 1948. The last time a Democrat won Montana was in 1992, when third-party candidate Ross Perot siphoned some votes from Republican George H.W. Bush.

“That’s why they are tied,” Schweitzer said, referring to Paul’s popularity in Montana.

Schweitzer said those who vote on the gun issue will have trouble backing either Obama or McCain. The Montana Shootings Sports Association has told members that a principled voter should choose Paul over McCain.

The McCain campaign has brushed aside worries about Paul, insisting the race is between McCain and Obama.

Hart, who worked for Paul during the primary, said plenty of people in Flathead County will still vote for Paul. While many Paul supporters have said they will vote for McCain, others want to choose “principle over party,” Hart said.

Hart still receives requests for yard signs, and he often obliges by handing out leftovers from Paul’s primary campaign. Hart, who is also getting more involved in the local Republican Party, understands there could be some hurt feelings if Paul steals some votes from McCain.

“If Obama were to carry Montana, they are going to point a finger at me,” he said. “But the reality is they should be looking in the mirror.”
http://www.helenair.com/articles/2008/10/29/state/top/60st_102908_ronpaul.txt

acptulsa
10-31-2008, 06:12 AM
And the sad part is, if he wins the state outright they'll still call him a 'spoiler'. I just wish he could spoil it for both of those NWO jackasses.

ProBlue33
10-31-2008, 07:06 AM
this isn't the first time he's been noticed, check out what the MT governor has to say:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rgt6egzgBIg

Very interesting this coming form the Governor of Montana

Ron Paul needs to go to Montana and hold a CFL rally.

Matt Collins
10-31-2008, 07:34 AM
I think it's logical to say that Ron Paul will get at least 50,000 votes nationwide. With him as a write-in candidate too, I think 65,000 is also plausible. It'll be interesting for sure.DO NOT write in Ron Paul unless you know for sure it'll be counted. In most states write-in votes ARE NOT COUNTED!!! Besides, Ron himself has said he would rather have you vote 3rd party than write him in.

RonPaulFanInGA
10-31-2008, 10:01 AM
DO NOT write in Ron Paul unless you know for sure it'll be counted. In most states write-in votes ARE NOT COUNTED!!! Besides, Ron himself has said he would rather have you vote 3rd party than write him in.

It is just in California that he is a write-in.

I read some pundit who thinks Ron Paul will get 250,000 votes in November, but most won't be counted because they'll be votes/write-ins in states that aren't Louisiana, Montana and California.

If that is true, one wonders what it might have been like had Paul ran. I'd guess something close to George Wallace in 1968: 13% of the vote and a handful of states.

ProBlue33
10-31-2008, 10:08 AM
http://www.helenair.com/articles/2008/10/29/state/top/60st_102908_ronpaul.txt

:)

FindLiberty
10-31-2008, 10:17 AM
IMO, the ideal voter turnout results for Montana would be:

RP=31%, BO=25%, JM=18%, plus a combined total of all 3rd parties and write in votes=26% (BB=9%, CB=9% and ~8% other)

Shotdown1027
10-31-2008, 11:03 AM
It actually looks like Ron Paul may the deciding factor in LA and MT. A recent poll said McCain was only ahead by 3% in LA---but Paul wasnt in that poll.

RonPaulFanInGA
10-31-2008, 11:19 AM
It actually looks like Ron Paul may the deciding factor in LA and MT. A recent poll said McCain was only ahead by 3% in LA---but Paul wasnt in that poll.

Ths is starting to get a tad ridiculous. I don't believe for one second, not one, that Indiana, Montana or Louisiana are close.

What's next? An AP poll showing Obama leading in Mississippi, Utah, Idaho and Alaska?

ProBlue33
10-31-2008, 11:32 AM
Ths is starting to get a tad ridiculous. I don't believe for one second, not one, that Indiana, Montana or Louisiana are close.

What's next? An AP poll showing Obama leading in Mississippi, Utah, Idaho and Alaska?

Montana is close their own governor says so. And so do some polls.

Utah would never be close because of all the Mormons, in fact McCain has a better chance of winning Utah than his own state.

Shotdown1027
10-31-2008, 11:48 AM
Matt,

No one thought Reagan could win New York, Illinois, Massachussetts, Vermont and Wisconsin---but he did,didnt he?

Louisiana is a state with an extremely large black population and a history of voting Democratic. In fact, Democrats outnumber Republicans 2 to 1.
Montana has been becoming more liberal over the past 8 years because of liberals fleeing California. They have a Democratic governor AND senator.
Indiana--I know nothing of.

orafi
10-31-2008, 11:58 AM
Matt,

No one thought Reagan could win New York, Illinois, Massachussetts, Vermont and Wisconsin---but he did,didnt he?

Louisiana is a state with an extremely large black population and a history of voting Democratic. In fact, Democrats outnumber Republicans 2 to 1.
Montana has been becoming more liberal over the past 8 years because of liberals fleeing California. They have a Democratic governor AND senator.
Indiana--I know nothing of.

Those liberals ruin CA and then want to infect good ol' Montana?? Fuckers

Matt Collins
10-31-2008, 11:59 AM
Indiana--I know nothing of.It's ok - neither does anyone else :p

Jordan
10-31-2008, 12:56 PM

Indiana is close. I'm here in southern Indiana and Baracks support is huge. College campuses are swarming with Obama supporters. Between IU, USI, Purdue, all big schools with tons of votes for Obama. Plus the city of Indianapolis is all over Obama.

He's got a shot.

kombayn
10-31-2008, 03:03 PM
DO NOT write in Ron Paul unless you know for sure it'll be counted. In most states write-in votes ARE NOT COUNTED!!! Besides, Ron himself has said he would rather have you vote 3rd party than write him in.

Whoa, whoa, whoa, slow-down sir. I live in California and it will be counted, that's what I was referring to. Thank you for the public service announcement though.

JohnJay
10-31-2008, 05:02 PM
I'm from Montana and I've heard that Ron Paul's name will be THE FIRST name you see on the ballot. How cool is that?

Even though I have no intention of voting for Obama, I think it would be funny if he won the state. Ron Paul might get a lot of the credit but I think some of it will be that stupid joke McCain keeps repeating about grizzly bears in Montana. Maybe if McCain loses Montana he will finally shut up about it. Obama has visited Montana more than any presidential candidate ever. McCain has made fun of Montana more than any presidential candidate ever. McCain might well lose this state.

I have seen a Montana ballot (maybe there are different versions) - I'll try to dig it up.

RP and the VP candidate were listed after Obama/ Biden

libertarian4321
10-31-2008, 05:21 PM

McCain is a jackass.

He's probably going to get steamrollered on Tuesday, but it would be fantastic if he lost because of Montana and Ron Paul!