PDA

View Full Version : Phillies win -Massive riots in philadelphia

brandon
10-30-2008, 05:34 AM
The phillies won the world series last night. Philadelphia errupted into massive riots. Flipped cars, fires on the streets, smashed storefront windows, overturned everything. We were tear gassed. People were arrested, beat, tazed...I was there right in the middle of it. I was just sipping a beer and watching the madness.

Last night I learned that cops in riot gear with tear gas actually do serve a valid purpose. Even though they are repressing the people 9 times out of 10 ( or 99 out of 100), they definitly were protecting the general welfare last night and were needed.

The people of philadelphia are completely insane.

Grimnir Wotansvolk
10-30-2008, 05:43 AM
I've never really followed sports, but why do its crowds always act so barbaric? As much as our media likes to point large, foam fingers at the gaming industry, I think there's enough evidence to say they're may be something psychologically wrong with a lot of sports fans, collectively.

Dr.3D
10-30-2008, 05:44 AM
So let me get this right.... the people were happy their team won, so they tried to burn down the city?

Makes perfect sense to me.... NOT!

What would they have done if their team lost, build a stadium?

FunkBuddha
10-30-2008, 05:58 AM
I've never really followed sports, but why do its crowds always act so barbaric? As much as our media likes to point large, foam fingers at the gaming industry, I think there's enough evidence to say they're may be something psychologically wrong with a lot of sports fans, collectively.

The collective IQ of a mob is only as high as it's dumbest member.

CurtisLow
10-30-2008, 05:58 AM
but why do its crowds always act so barbaric?

http://content.ytmnd.com/content/4/9/3/49361fa2aaf8ae8505463b254aba3766.jpg
Add alcohol and you get crazy's..

No1ButPaul08
10-30-2008, 06:15 AM

Yeah, it really doesn't make any sense. We won a title!!! Let's burn the city down!!!

This was somewhat of a special win for Philly. They are a major sports town and hadn't won a title in 25 years or so. Still, that's cause for celebration, not rioting.

Philly sports fans are a special breed (that's not to say other towns fans are not). They are known to be assholes. It's probably some inferiority complex they have with the cities/teams of New York and Boston.

99% of sports crowds are not barbaric, at least to this extent. This type of rioting only happens after a team wins or loses a championship event. Even then, it is somewhat of a rare occurrence. I was in Indianapolis the night the Colts won the Superbowl and it was a very positive, celebratory atmosphere.

brandon
10-30-2008, 06:45 AM

hahahah

Probably. (seriously)

DAFTEK
10-30-2008, 06:52 AM
Wait till next week for the big game! Country wide riots :)

SeanEdwards
10-30-2008, 07:46 AM
I was in San francisco when the 49ers won their first super bowl. People went crazy, but there wasn't rioting and destruction. Instead, streets got closed off by pedestrians running around partying. I can remember standing at one closed off intersection where several hundred drunk and happy people were stumbling around, and partying with the crowd were several SFPD oficers, who had traded in their regulation police hats, for rubber coneheads done up like football helmets.

Just a very different feel.

klamath
10-30-2008, 08:15 AM
The phillies won the world series last night. Philadelphia errupted into massive riots. Flipped cars, fires on the streets, smashed storefront windows, overturned everything. We were tear gassed. People were arrested, beat, tazed...I was there right in the middle of it. I was just sipping a beer and watching the madness.

Last night I learned that cops in riot gear with tear gas actually do serve a valid purpose. Even though they are repressing the people 9 times out of 10 ( or 99 out of 100), they definitly were protecting the general welfare last night and were needed.

One very very small taste of what a violent revolution would be like.

brandon
10-30-2008, 08:33 AM
I was in San francisco when the 49ers won their first super bowl. People went crazy, but there wasn't rioting and destruction. Instead, streets got closed off by pedestrians running around partying. I can remember standing at one closed off intersection where several hundred drunk and happy people were stumbling around, and partying with the crowd were several SFPD oficers, who had traded in their regulation police hats, for rubber coneheads done up like football helmets.

Just a very different feel.

Speaking of police hats....

Last night I witnessed a young man throw a brick through the front window of a bank. There were SEVERAL undercover officers around him, and they immediately alerted a uniformed officer. The officer(A woman cop btw) then chased the kid a quarter of a block, caught him and tackled him. A huge crowd formed around him and started cheering "fuck the cops" "Let him go".

Meanwhile several more cops entered the rumble, and one of them lost their hat in the process. A minute later some random dude comes up to me and says "Yo look what I got!" I look down and he is showing me the cop's hat.

tonesforjonesbones
10-30-2008, 08:40 AM
Were white and black rioting?? This is insane..and I expect burning and looting whether obama wins or loses...no wonder they called an army brigade back for crowd control. freaking barbarians. tones

nobody's_hero
10-30-2008, 08:40 AM
One very very small taste of what a violent revolution would be like.

If only we could get people as passionate about government incompetence as they are about their sports :(.

ItsTime
10-30-2008, 08:41 AM
I cant wait till Obama wins...

tommyzDad
10-30-2008, 08:43 AM
If only we could get people as passionate about government incompetence as they are about their sports :(.

No shit.

brandon
10-30-2008, 08:46 AM
Were white and black rioting??

:confused: :confused: :confused:

brandon
10-30-2008, 08:48 AM

True.

The thing is, I'm sure about 90% of the people rioting didn't watch more then 1 or 2 phillies games this season. They are mostly bandwagon jumpers looking for an excuse to party/riot.

How can we convince them to jump on our bandwagon?

tonesforjonesbones
10-30-2008, 08:53 AM
Well? who was doing the rioting? it's an honest question..so why can't you answer it. tones

acptulsa
10-30-2008, 08:55 AM
Well? who was doing the rioting? it's an honest question..so why can't you answer it. tones

Philadelphians, tones. Philadelphians. If you wanted a demographic breakdown, you should have dived into all the flying bricks and bottles and conducted a damned survey. You missed your chance.

Bill M DC
10-30-2008, 08:56 AM
True.

The thing is, I'm sure about 90% of the people rioting didn't watch more then 1 or 2 phillies games this season. They are mostly bandwagon jumpers looking for an excuse to party/riot.

How can we convince them to jump on our bandwagon?

How can we convince them to jump? I don't want them on my bandwagon!

homah
10-30-2008, 09:24 AM

There are only riots like this after a major championship, and most of the time, the rioting is being done by people who couldn't care less about the game. They were just waiting for an excuse to riot. Also, despite what many are saying, it happens in nearly every city after a championship. This incident wasn't unique to Philadelphia.

tonesforjonesbones
10-30-2008, 09:37 AM
I finally found a video..it looked like revelers to me...i think it was just over excitement..although , i don't know why they break windows and such.. tones

brandon
10-30-2008, 09:41 AM
How can we convince them to jump? I don't want them on my bandwagon!

haha, i know. I meant more like how can we get people that passionate about freedom. Not "how can we get people to break windows in the name of Ron Paul"

Bill M DC
10-30-2008, 09:44 AM
haha, i know. I meant more like how can we get people that passionate about freedom. Not "how can we get people to break windows in the name of Ron Paul"

:D I think they should just jump.

sailor
10-30-2008, 09:59 AM
Come on people, lets not be philistines. Everyone likes a good riot now and then. It is very liberating.

But Europe and Latin American have the best sports riots / clashes with the police.

homah
10-30-2008, 10:02 AM
I finally found a video..it looked like revelers to me...i think it was just over excitement..although , i don't know why they break windows and such.. tones

Most were in good spirits. Too bad there are people like this around to ruin things:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MufTb-D4AcE (I don't know which is more disturbing, the guy who threw the bottle or the guy recording whose first reaction is to say "I got that on video")

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mvsb-e-S3wg

phixion
10-30-2008, 10:11 AM
Wait until team Obama wins - you just watch how some of his supporters celebrate.

I'm telling you. It will be on a far worse scale than this.

They will literally kill many white people in their celebrations, even if those white people supported Obama. The only thing that matters to these people after Obama is elected will be race. So much for unity, Obama.

Think of the emotion a black man being elected president will invoke after years of chips on shoulders etc.

It will not be pretty. A black man being elected president in the USA will be the biggest victory for any 'team' or 'race' in the entire history of the world, and the biggest civil unrest since the LA riots. Mark my words.

"Today, in the year 2000, street gangs are estimated to show a membership of nearly one million members. Some experts feel that number will exceed one million by the year 2001."

Many will go around shooting, looting, smashing everything up. Finally they're 'free', they will believe. They will have stuck it to the white man. There won't be any rational thinking going on. They will be serving up punishment for the whitey and showing how pleased they are.

I look forward to seeing it all on my TV here in the UK.

Pete

Cleaner44
10-30-2008, 10:16 AM
Is there a Federal Reserve bank is Philly that they could have trashed?

Trance Dance Master
10-30-2008, 10:17 AM
The savages attempted to burn the city down, but order prevailed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDi_enfdhPc

brandon
10-30-2008, 01:19 PM
bump :)

tmosley
10-30-2008, 01:25 PM
ITT racism.

Mitt Romneys sideburns
10-30-2008, 01:26 PM
I was in a rough crowd in downtown Houston when the Astros were in the series. But things calmed down for a while as half the street stopped to watch some chick getting banged from behind while leaned up against a window on the 5th floor of a building.

brandon
10-30-2008, 01:27 PM
ITT racism.

The funny thing is 90% of the rioting was being done by white college students in a city that is about 50% black. Then maybe there were like 5% black college students, and 5% general lunatics.

torchbearer
10-30-2008, 01:35 PM
Oh, I thought you were talking about George Phillies: http://phillies2008.org/

anaconda
10-30-2008, 01:38 PM

The city of brotherly love.

JosephTheLibertarian
10-30-2008, 01:39 PM

Valid purpose? ha. The police are the prison guards!! Cities were created under orders of the state, remember that.

brandon
10-30-2008, 01:42 PM
Valid purpose?

Yes a very valid purpose. Protecting both private and public property from destruction. Making violent crowds disperse before they have the chance to injure an innocent bystander.

yongrel
10-30-2008, 01:43 PM

Rally4theRepublic should have had free beer, apparently.

Crash Martinez
10-30-2008, 01:45 PM
Yes a very valid purpose. Protecting both private and public property from destruction. Making violent crowds disperse before they have the chance to injure an innocent bystander.

Yeah, the police don't want innocent bystanders to be injured by anyone.

...but them.

torchbearer
10-30-2008, 01:46 PM
Rally4theRepublic should have had free beer, apparently.

There was a lingering smell of cannabis... but that's probably why everyone was so happy and peaceful.

torchbearer
10-30-2008, 01:47 PM
Yeah, the police don't want innocent bystanders to be injured by anyone.

...but them.

Don't beat the innocent, that's the government's job.

Crash Martinez
10-30-2008, 01:49 PM
Besides... If it's done "before they have the chance to injure..." then how could they be defined as "violent crowds?"

Prior to injuring anyone, aren't they a peaceful crowd? Isn't dispersing a peaceful crowd unconstitutional?

Crash Martinez
10-30-2008, 01:50 PM
Besides...

There's no such thing as a crowd.

JosephTheLibertarian
10-30-2008, 01:51 PM

I never hired them to "protect" my property.

LibertyEagle
10-30-2008, 01:54 PM
So let me get this right.... the people were happy their team won, so they tried to burn down the city?

Good one. :D

brandon
10-30-2008, 01:56 PM
Besides... If it's done "before they have the chance to injure..." then how could they be defined as "violent crowds?"

Prior to injuring anyone, aren't they a peaceful crowd? Isn't dispersing a peaceful crowd unconstitutional?

If you saw the crowds last night, you would know what a violent crowd is.

Crash Martinez
10-30-2008, 01:59 PM
If you saw the crowds last night, you would know what a violent crowd is.

Also if you saw the American Revolution.

...and they weren't fighting for the power of the government to disperse them!

tmosley
10-30-2008, 02:18 PM
http://theworstpageintheuniverse.com/images/civilyellow_small1.jpg

Crash Martinez
10-30-2008, 02:21 PM

I have a new desktop background!

Trance Dance Master
10-30-2008, 02:35 PM
Valid purpose? ha. The police are the prison guards!! Cities were created under orders of the state, remember that.
Prisoners with better character behave as their own guards. That is why religion and psychology must be better used to instruct character development. The means to be free from the penal cities will become more available as a result as well.

There was a lingering smell of cannabis... but that's probably why everyone was so happy and peaceful.
I helped contribute to that particular aroma. I was hoping the "free the weed" chant I started following Ron Paul's explanation of his position on cannabis would catch on, but it was too spontaneous. We were all more eager to chant "end the fed", which is excellent slogan as well, and very much anticipated.

Trance Dance Master
10-30-2008, 02:45 PM
Theft by deception is still theft.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7521758492370018023

Civil disobedience against the IRS is much less likely to result in clubbing than marching through the streets. Even a clubbing to your wallet in a courtroom can be defended against better than police action against you can.

Paulitician
10-30-2008, 03:21 PM
I cant wait till Obama wins...
Hah!

Anti Federalist
10-30-2008, 03:56 PM

Wait till this gets taken to the next level, that being, real-time bloodsports.

satchelmcqueen
10-30-2008, 06:20 PM

no dummy...they would have built that stadium you speak of , and got in bed early for work the next day.

The_Orlonater
10-30-2008, 06:24 PM
I abhort the disgusting examples of human beings in the sports scene.

JosephTheLibertarian
10-30-2008, 07:17 PM
Have a problem with rioters? Then get out of dodge and protect your own property, don't worry about someone else's property. Remember, the STATE planned out cities and used slaves to create them, so they're unnatural to the true natural of things.

Dr.3D
10-30-2008, 07:49 PM
no dummy...they would have built that stadium you speak of , and got in bed early for work the next day.

:confused:

Crowish
10-30-2008, 09:51 PM
http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/4961/1838/1600/capt.85af922347704b1c89108d680eb09099.tigers_detro its_image_baseball_dt101.jpg

I think Detroit started that tradition. (RIP Tiger Stadium.)

Dr.3D
10-31-2008, 11:35 AM

Looking in the mirror and saying you agree with me I guess.

Trance Dance Master
10-31-2008, 02:51 PM
Have a problem with rioters? Then get out of dodge and protect your own property, don't worry about someone else's property. Remember, the STATE planned out cities and used slaves to create them, so they're unnatural to the true natural of things.
Social status exists in nature. Ever heard of pecking order? Slaves are simply below the master on the totem pole.

kombayn
10-31-2008, 03:00 PM
Yeah, it really doesn't make any sense. We won a title!!! Let's burn the city down!!!

This was somewhat of a special win for Philly. They are a major sports town and hadn't won a title in 25 years or so. Still, that's cause for celebration, not rioting.

Philly sports fans are a special breed (that's not to say other towns fans are not). They are known to be assholes. It's probably some inferiority complex they have with the cities/teams of New York and Boston.

99% of sports crowds are not barbaric, at least to this extent. This type of rioting only happens after a team wins or loses a championship event. Even then, it is somewhat of a rare occurrence. I was in Indianapolis the night the Colts won the Superbowl and it was a very positive, celebratory atmosphere.

I don't know what you're talking about but any major metropolitan area like Chicago, New York City, Boston, Philadelphia, Miami, Seattle, Los Angeles and Dallas. 9 times out of 10 we're going to see riots, that's just how it is. People love their teams and others see it as an advantage to act insane. Basically a get out of jail free card to show the system and the establishment how you really feel. I don't have a problem with rioting, people should know that shit is going to hit the fan. You're stupid to leave your shit out in major rural areas.

Trance Dance Master
10-31-2008, 03:12 PM
I don't have a problem with rioting, people should know that shit is going to hit the fan. You're stupid to leave your shit out in major rural areas.
The rule of law demands order is maintained within civilization. Protecting property rights is a very important role of a sound limited government. Bring on the police state.

sailor
10-31-2008, 03:16 PM
I don't know what you're talking about but any major metropolitan area like Chicago, New York City, Boston, Philadelphia, Miami, Seattle, Los Angeles and Dallas. 9 times out of 10 we're going to see riots, that's just how it is. People love their teams and others see it as an advantage to act insane. Basically a get out of jail free card to show the system and the establishment how you really feel. I don't have a problem with rioting, people should know that shit is going to hit the fan.

Absolutley. This sort of thing is bad. It is not good. However there are far worse things and more importantly it is an instinctive, basic like reaction to the opression we find ourselves under.

Most people can not see what is wrong and how are things messed up, but they do feel something is very wrong, they do feel they are getting screwed and are being opressed.

Most of the time they must keep their heads down and comform.

But, when you are in a huge mass of likeminded people, full of energy and euphoria and had a couple of beers then suddenly you realise you have the power. The power to defy and strike back.

Not knowing who it is exactly that is screwing them their fighting back is not very well directed and leads to needless property destruction. But at the same time they are letting off steam, feeling empowered, feeling pride for defying the hated police that screws them 6 days out of 7 and the alienated establishment that employs them.

For five minutes they are the king and not the system.

It`s luddistic sort of people power. Destructive and misguided, but at its basic root far less evil than the system it is blowing-back against.

Trance Dance Master
10-31-2008, 09:16 PM
For five minutes they are the king and not the system.
As long as such a fantasy does not threaten the life, liberty, or property of others, they can all be king of the world.

The_Orlonater
10-31-2008, 09:22 PM

So is our fellow man.

I take a Machiavelli style approach to the way I feel about man.

I want the rule of law. Riots are examples people breaking the law. Some of you people should be shot right between the eyes.

The_Orlonater
10-31-2008, 09:26 PM

Lmfao, you're a fucking joke.

Planned out cities and made everybody slaves?

So, we should all be holding our shotguns together and have a little civil war to protect property. What if the mob outnumbers me and kills me? Where is your logic to that?

I hate the current state, but I also hate a great amount of people. For I can not stand their grotesque actions.

The_Orlonater
10-31-2008, 09:27 PM
I never hired them to "protect" my property.

Why wouldn't you want a local police force?
What about those Democratic mobs you hate? Do you have a tank Joseph? :D