PDA

View Full Version : Copyright Laws

TastyWheat
10-29-2008, 12:27 PM
This subject really makes my blood boil. I'm not opposed to copyrights and patents, but they are way, way, way overblown. If a movie is released today it is under copyright for the life of the author PLUS 120 years! I don't know if that means Snow White is copyrighted for as long as Disney exists (plus 120 years) or as long as the screenwriter exists (plus 120 years) but either way that's too fucking long. Aside from the fact we were pandering to the EU there's really no point. Doesn't the expiration of copyrights and patents incentivize inventors and authors to create NEW ideas and works?

Matt Collins
10-29-2008, 12:31 PM
Doesn't the expiration of copyrights and patents incentivize inventors and authors to create NEW ideas and works?Yes the problem is actually Disney itself. Every time Steamboat Willie keeps getting closer to going into the public domain, Disney keeps buying copyright legislation to further extend the copyright. Since most of our elected officials are spineless whores copyright terms are essentially "infinity -1"

mediahasyou
10-29-2008, 04:12 PM
http://iloveextra.com