PDA

View Full Version : I am creating a website to help people wean themselves off of TV - Come help me

RonPaulVolunteer
10-25-2008, 10:49 PM
I have not watched TV for about 4 years, and even before then, it was just news for about the last 15 years. And I love it. The benefits of being TV free are so numerous. Better education, better social life, and better sex!

So I am putting together a website to help people free themselves from the propaganda box. I'm a long-time web-designer, so don't need any help there, but do want lots of help with content.

What I am thinking right now, is to offer people great alternative ideas to watching TV. Like playing board games. Going for a walk with the kids/wife/gf. Things like that. I'd like your help! Give me your suggestions.

I plan to launch this as well as I can, with press releases and hopefully mentions on DIGG, newspapers and ironically, event network TV.

So please send me your ideas. I'm still working on an appropriate domain name, but I plan to have something online within 2 weeks.

I am doing this because I just started dating a girl who is hopelessly addicted to TV, and it is honestly like a drug to her. She wakes up and NEEDS to watch TV. It's sad. I believe that getting people to turn off their TVs would be an incalculably powerful way of opening minds and setting them free from the propaganda they are served each day. Help me out, please.

Mortikhi
10-26-2008, 12:10 AM
Will it have video?

^_^

literatim
10-26-2008, 12:11 AM
Will it have video?

^_^

:D

RonPaulVolunteer
10-26-2008, 12:14 AM
Will it have video?

^_^

Yes. There's nothing wrong with the video medium. It's the networks and the sh*t they push that's the problem. I am not against movies.

mmink15
10-26-2008, 12:25 AM
Encourage people to start listening to music again. There are so many great avenues via internet and local bars/clubs/cafes for discovering new music that makes you feel alive. Yet people constantly subject themselves to the same 20 songs over and over and over again.

Shameless plug- http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=164416

RonPaulVolunteer
10-26-2008, 10:05 AM
So no one has any ideas hu?

jave27
10-26-2008, 10:30 AM
There are already a few sites like that out there. The most popular one (afaik) is http://www.turnoffyourtv.com/.

You could contact the owner of that site and possibly collaborate.

CaseyJones
10-26-2008, 10:42 AM
E-books bro
Kill The T.V.

RonPaulVolunteer
10-26-2008, 10:42 AM
There are already a few sites like that out there. The most popular one (afaik) is http://www.turnoffyourtv.com/.

You could contact the owner of that site and possibly collaborate.

Yech, that's as ugly as sin.

tonesforjonesbones
10-26-2008, 10:44 AM
GREAT IDEA! I am going to start a push for conservatives..or whoever..to cancel cable tv. I have that in the works right now. We have to shut down the brain washing device. I'm sick of the media selecting our presidents! tones

PatriotOne
10-26-2008, 10:45 AM
You might want to start with some educational material as to why they should turn off the TV. There's some good video's and articles out there about how TV is used to brainwash people using all sorts of programming methods. Just google TV and mind control and it should bring up some good stuff.

rockandrollsouls
10-26-2008, 10:50 AM
I like TV. It's nice to come home after a hard day's work, plop down on the couch, and relax while someone else does the work to entertain you. Everything in moderation....TV ain't bad.

RonPaulVolunteer
10-26-2008, 10:52 AM
I like TV. It's nice to come home after a hard day's work, plop down on the couch, and relax while someone else does the work to entertain you. Everything in moderation....TV ain't bad.

None are so helplessly enslaved than those that mistakenly believe they are free.

CaseyJones
10-26-2008, 10:52 AM
passive interaction is bad m'k

ChaosControl
10-26-2008, 10:54 AM
If you include something to wean people off internet forums then I'll have to pay the site a visit. :)

rockandrollsouls
10-26-2008, 11:33 AM
None are so helplessly enslaved than those that mistakenly believe they are free.

Don't insult me, jackass. Just because you think TV is evil and I like to sit, relax, and watch on occasion doesn't mean you're some holy gift from God himself. Get over yourself, buddy. You DON'T know what's best for everyone.

Funny how you claim to fight for freedom but directly contradict it.

heavenlyboy34
10-26-2008, 11:39 AM
OP-

post links to important readings like the constitution, declaration of independence, RP books, etc. Link to lewrockwell.com, factcheck.org and things like this. :D You might want to do some research into addiction and give people simple steps to get off TV. It was pretty simple for me-just turn it off and do something else. Maybe also link to some volunteerism sites to keep people busy.

Good luck!

jave27
10-26-2008, 11:48 AM
Encourage people to go outside and actually talk to their neighbors. Go to see sporting events, participate in local community programs, travel, ride bikes, go for runs...

There's an unlimited number of things you could encourage people to do besides watching TV, but I think you'll need to pick a theme and stick with it, otherwise you won't have enough quality content to keep people on your site for any length of time.

FindLiberty
10-26-2008, 12:01 PM
YES - and we have a time schedule - NO TV AFTER 2/17/09.

1) Get mad, quit cold turkey, just say no! (It's OK to drink a bottle of Cold Turkey while you sit alone in the dark though.) Find an internet news site that points out the bias and lies in MSM news reporting that you read/watch on-line.

2) Don't let your little kids watch ANY TV/VIDEO/DVDs AT ALL for their first 7 years (promotes passive thinking brain - teach 'em math and reading before age 3 instead).

3) Rent/borrow a DVD for passive entertainment (e.g., I recently watched season 2 of 24Hrs on a set of DVDs borrowed from the local public library - "24" was new to me, fun for many hours, and now I'm done with the whole series - no news no PSA or commercials).

4) Read some economic and Liberty books instead so you can scare away of your old friends (and make new ones at RPForums).

Kotin
10-26-2008, 12:03 PM
ever heard of YouTube?

CaseyJones
10-26-2008, 12:09 PM
muahahahaha
Kill The T.V.

RickyJ
10-26-2008, 12:12 PM
Is it really good to get away from TV to then only get addicted to the Internet? The Internet is great and all that, but I unfortunately waste way too much time on it. Real life is passing me by. :(

And no, I don't consider the Internet real life.

CaseyJones
10-26-2008, 12:15 PM
build something, talk with your nieghbors, find your love, find your bliss

FindLiberty
10-26-2008, 12:18 PM
...I don't consider the Internet real life.

That's because you are not addicted to playing Half-Life2 Deathmatch on it!
We just need a fiat money government payment for "points scored" and YOU'VE GOT A FULL TIME JOB!

High score winners could receive a metal from the POTUS, broadcast worldwide, live on HDTV!

Andrew-Austin
10-26-2008, 12:22 PM
-have a "why you should turn off the TV" page. Including philosophical reasons, life benefits, and scientific studies of television viewing effects.

-page that lists alternatives to TV, websites such as youtube.

-page that suggests what people do with their newly freed time from quitting their habit.

RonPaulVolunteer
10-26-2008, 02:57 PM
OP-

post links to important readings like the constitution, declaration of independence, RP books, etc. Link to lewrockwell.com, factcheck.org and things like this. :D You might want to do some research into addiction and give people simple steps to get off TV. It was pretty simple for me-just turn it off and do something else. Maybe also link to some volunteerism sites to keep people busy.

Good luck!

Yeah, I was thinking of local support groups? Maybe going a bit far?

RonPaulVolunteer
10-26-2008, 03:00 PM
Don't insult me, jackass. Just because you think TV is evil and I like to sit, relax, and watch on occasion doesn't mean you're some holy gift from God himself. Get over yourself, buddy. You DON'T know what's best for everyone.

ROTFLMAO...

I'm making this page for YOU my friend :)

D.H.
10-26-2008, 03:34 PM
Is it really good to get away from TV to then only get addicted to the Internet? The Internet is great and all that, but I unfortunately waste way too much time on it. Real life is passing me by. :(

Good point RickyJ. For whatever reason I find the internet more addicting. I find it easier to turn off my TV and/or change channels than I do to turn off my computer and avoid it all day.

The OP has some good points but the internet can be just as bad.

Bunkerbuilder
10-26-2008, 03:38 PM
This is a great thing you are doing as YES TV is evil and is just a diversion to keep your mind off of the things that really matter in our world.

I will add that I have not owned a TV in over 5 years and I feel I'm more intelligent because of this lack of "Entertainment".

There are things that will happen in the future that have the potential to kill us all on this planet and unless we prepare we will not live past the next 5 years.

If we want to survive this we really need to start digging and I mean really deep.

yongrel
10-26-2008, 03:42 PM
I haven't watched television on a television for 3 years or so. Can't remember how long it's been exactly. Not long enough, I'll wager.

The best part about not consuming major media is when I go shopping. I'll be walking down the isle, and all of the sudden, I'll be like, "Whoa! They make Habenero Doritos! When did that happen?!" No commercials, no updates on products.

Last night, I discovered Jalapeno Cheese Cheetos. Life is good.

RonPaulVolunteer
10-26-2008, 03:48 PM

Oh you're totally correct. I am a knowledge nut. If I am not learning something all the time, I go nuts. This leads to me spending a lot of time online. I am cynical, so when someone tells me something, I can spend a whole researching it.

Maybe the site should target net addictions as well.

RonPaulVolunteer
10-27-2008, 04:39 PM
bump

dannno
10-27-2008, 04:49 PM
The best part about not consuming major media is when I go shopping. I'll be walking down the isle, and all of the sudden, I'll be like, "Whoa! They make Habenero Doritos! When did that happen?!" No commercials, no updates on products.

Last night, I discovered Jalapeno Cheese Cheetos. Life is good.

:cool:

Ya it's nice not having to look at all that shit you really don't need, too.

nobody's_hero
10-27-2008, 05:27 PM
My channel line-up stops at C-SPAN. No need for MSM moguls Fox, MSNBC, or CNN.

jkr
10-27-2008, 05:44 PM
gardening...benefits are:

food

free vitamin d

exercise

food for friends

being thankful (if you are into that , and i am)

side effects are:

less time to waste poluting your mind

a fuller belly

satisfaction of harvesting

and better health, wait what?

appreciating what it takes to eat a simple meal

Michigan11
10-27-2008, 06:06 PM
I shut off my cable after the media was blacking out our man last year. No regrets, I save about $700 a year on cable bills or whatever it was, but I do spend more time on the damn internet.

Cut off the tv and you are one step closer to removing yourself from the matrix. And the 'Man' don't like it! Screw'em!

tonesforjonesbones
10-27-2008, 06:25 PM
Oh this is by far the BEST thread on this forum for a LONG time! I am going on a petition campaign to pledge to cancel cable television. STOP FEedING THE BEaST! it's going to be called "Freeze them OUT" and i want to target dec 21, the first day of winter. I am going to circulate it soon and make it go viral. I believe we have to SHUT down the brainwashing device. way to go ya'll! tones

RonPaulVolunteer
10-27-2008, 11:59 PM
Oh this is by far the BEST thread on this forum for a LONG time! I am going on a petition campaign to pledge to cancel cable television. STOP FEedING THE BEaST! it's going to be called "Freeze them OUT" and i want to target dec 21, the first day of winter. I am going to circulate it soon and make it go viral. I believe we have to SHUT down the brainwashing device. way to go ya'll! tones

Thank you... :)

tremendoustie
10-28-2008, 12:16 AM

Ok, rockandroll, this is not about you specifically, but I'm quite sick of people claiming that if you express an opinion about what is right or proper you are anti freedom. Let's get this straight once and for all, so I don't have to read this b.s. any more:

If you are pro freedom, you believe that you do not have the right to FORCE anyone to behave as you wish them to. That does NOT mean that you believe there is no such thing as right or wrong, proper or improper, advantageous or disadvantageous, and that you will never try to convince anyone that a particular way of behaving is any of these things.

The next time someone calls someone anti-freedom, it'd better be because they propose to FORCE someone to do something, or I may blow my cork (and rant at you again).