PDA

View Full Version : Murray Rothbard

Spider-Man
10-25-2008, 12:05 PM
What do you think of the highly touted Murray Rothbard?

I just read What Has Government Done To Our Money? and For a New Liberty. I will withold comments for now so as not to influence people's opinions unduly.

forsmant
10-25-2008, 12:06 PM
I enjoy him and have read five of his books and many articles.

slantedview
10-25-2008, 12:07 PM
what has the government done to our money is absolutely great, particularly because anyone can read it.

Spider-Man
10-25-2008, 12:10 PM
what has the government done to our money is absolutely great, particularly because anyone can read it.

I did enjoy it, though it was a bit tedious.

Jeremy
10-25-2008, 12:11 PM
I prefer Mises... I'm not a fan of Rothbard's political philosophies but he's obviously a pretty important economist. I have one of his books and will probably buy more. But I'm definitely not a Rothbardian.

Spider-Man
10-25-2008, 12:11 PM
I prefer Mises... I'm not a fan of Rothbard's political philosophies but he's obviously a pretty important economist.

I will give Mises a try. I have some problems with Rothbard as well.

mport1
10-25-2008, 12:13 PM
Rothbard is way underrated.

Jeremy
10-25-2008, 12:15 PM
Rothbard is way underrated.

You're obviously a Rothbardian, we all know that here. :D Maybe he's OVERRATED between some libertarian groups though.

TruthisTreason
10-25-2008, 12:24 PM
Love him!

powerofreason
10-25-2008, 01:30 PM
His books=truth :p

mport1
10-25-2008, 03:19 PM
You're obviously a Rothbardian, we all know that here. :D

Was it that obvious, haha?

Alawn
10-25-2008, 03:24 PM
Overrated or underrated with who? With your average person? With people on the forum?

If you mean with the general public, most politicians, and most economists then he is way way way underrated. I don't think I have ever met a person not familiar with Ron Paul that even knows what Austrian economics is.

Truth Warrior
10-25-2008, 03:28 PM
LeFevre is my main guy. Rothbard is #2. ;)

Andrew-Austin
10-25-2008, 03:28 PM
Rothbard is very Rothbardian, so I went with the third option.

Is it good to be a Rothbard? Yeah hes pretty great, I deeply enjoy his writings.

Knut Schreiber
10-25-2008, 04:20 PM
Way underrated in general, overrated among some libertarians. I like his writings very much, even if I don't agree with everything, but he is not free from mistakes like some libertarians make him out to be. Still, he has clearly broadened (is that a word?) my thinking like only a few others.

jeepndesert
10-25-2008, 04:36 PM
What do you think of the highly touted Murray Rothbard?

I just read What Has Government Done To Our Money? and For a New Liberty. I will withold comments for now so as not to influence people's opinions unduly.

i think rothbard looks too far into things to be practical. approaching everything is ok if you're not doing just to try to justify the model. i think he is a contradiction. if he really looked at his work, he would see his own work points towards geoism, general libertarianism, and pragmatism or utilitarian geolibertarianism, not the austrian model. but that is what happens when you're out to prove and update an antiquated model rather than create a new model.

of course i come for a utilitarian geolibertarianism so i see justification for utilitarian geolibertarianism by looking at rothbard. that is his strength, and his weakness.

MGreen
10-25-2008, 05:01 PM
Though I find the love for him around the Rockwell group a little unsettling, he is a great writer and thinker, and I generally agree with what he has said. He is underrated in the world at large, and perhaps overrated by some libertarians.

From what I've read between them so far, though, I have to say that I prefer Mises as a writer. His writing can be so clear and concise.

jeepndesert
10-25-2008, 05:05 PM
Though I find the love for him around the Rockwell group a little unsettling, he is a great writer and thinker, and I generally agree with what he has said. He is underrated in the world at large, and perhaps overrated by some libertarians.

From what I've read between them so far, though, I have to say that I prefer Mises as a writer. His writing can be so clear and concise.

you had me until you stated mises was so clear and concise.

mczerone
10-25-2008, 05:12 PM
Way underrated in general, overrated among some libertarians. I like his writings very much, even if I don't agree with everything, but he is not free from mistakes like some libertarians make him out to be. Still, he has clearly broadened (is that a word?) my thinking like only a few others.

Perfectly stated.

:)

jmlfod87
10-25-2008, 05:29 PM
he is a great writer and thinker, and I generally agree with what he has said. He is underrated in the world at large, and perhaps overrated by some libertarians.

qfe

muzzled dogg
10-25-2008, 05:44 PM
murray > jesus

powerofreason
10-25-2008, 05:47 PM
murray > jesus

lol

mediahasyou
10-25-2008, 07:36 PM
LeFevre is my main guy. Rothbard is #2. ;)

;) I have no one shepherd. I take the best of all worlds. Variety is the spice of life.

mport1
10-25-2008, 07:42 PM
murray > jesus

I totally agree.

ArrestPoliticians
10-25-2008, 07:45 PM
Rothbard is one of the most talented non-fiction authors EVER in my opinion. I don't agree with anarcho-capitalism, but I love Rothbard.

powerofreason
10-25-2008, 08:34 PM
Rothbard is one of the most talented non-fiction authors EVER in my opinion. I don't agree with anarcho-capitalism, but I love Rothbard.

Which part of the state do you still worship?

libertarian4321
10-25-2008, 09:32 PM
Where is the "Rothbard is dead" option?

inibo
10-25-2008, 09:39 PM
I enjoy some of his stuff, but I do find some of his writing to be tedious. He tends to assume some things to be self-evident when actually they require a bit of argument and explanation to support. He is also occasionally condescending.

Much of his stuff is still "must read" as far as I'm concerned, though.

Conza88
10-26-2008, 12:47 AM
Voted for; Murray Rothbard is Murray Rothbard.

It's like Ron Paul is Ron Paul... :cool:

Anarcho-Capitalism... where reality meets truth.

ArrestPoliticians
10-28-2008, 01:16 PM
Which part of the state do you still worship?

The part that enforces contracts and provides for the national defense while incorporating the will of the people.

Truth Warrior
10-28-2008, 01:52 PM
;) I have no one shepherd. I take the best of all worlds. Variety is the spice of life. I have NO shepherds either, I just usually agree with those guys, among some others.

It's called "libertarian", NO spokesmen. I speak for no one but me, and no one speaks FOR me.

danberkeley
10-28-2008, 05:56 PM
The part that enforces contracts and provides for the national defense while incorporating the will of the people.

Where is the state to get the money for national defense and to enforce contracts? Oh yeah, and how is the state's jurisdiction legitimate?

ArrestPoliticians
10-28-2008, 08:50 PM
Where is the state to get the money for national defense and to enforce contracts? Oh yeah, and how is the state's jurisdiction legitimate?

The state's jurisdiction is only legitimate with a social contract(constitution). The source of the money is really unimportant because I am assuming that the state is something that the people created through some sort of always imperfect but lasting collective action, but the best way would be for the government to collect the money needed to enforce contracts from transactions that those contracts bind.