PDA

View Full Version : Should I get a flu shot?

MRoCkEd
10-25-2008, 09:49 AM
why or why not

KevinR
10-25-2008, 10:01 AM
I'll never get one, just stick to OJ :) But I also don't use any "drugs", even asprins and whatnot...

MRoCkEd
10-25-2008, 11:31 AM
hmmm

UnReconstructed
10-25-2008, 11:38 AM
no, because they tell you its for your own good... just like war, taxes and public education.

pacelli
10-25-2008, 01:21 PM
why or why not

The CDC recommends:

Use of the Nasal Spray Flu Vaccine

It should be noted that vaccination with the nasal-spray flu vaccine is always an option for healthy* people 2-49 years of age who are not pregnant.

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/keyfacts.htm

From the makers of the FluMist vaccine:

13.1 Carcinogenesis, Mutagenesis, Impairment of Fertility
FluMist has not been evaluated for its carcinogenic or mutagenic potential or its potential to impair
fertility.

14.5 Transmission Study
FluMist contains live attenuated influenza viruses that must infect and replicate in cells lining the
nasopharynx of the recipient to induce immunity. Vaccine viruses capable of infection and replication
can be cultured from nasal secretions obtained from vaccine recipients. The relationship of viral
replication in a vaccine recipient and transmission of vaccine viruses to other individuals has not
been established.

14.2 Study in Adults
AV009 was a multi-center, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial to evaluate effectiveness in adults 18-64 years of age without high-risk medical conditions. Participants were randomized 2:1, vaccine:placebo. Cultures for influenza virus were not obtained from subjects in the trial, so that the efficacy against culture-confirmed influenza was not assessed. The A/Wuhan/359/95 (H3N2) strain, which was contained in FluMist, was antigenically distinct from the predominant circulating strain of influenza virus during the trial period, A/Sydney/05/97 (H3N2). Type A/Wuhan (H3N2) and Type B strains also circulated in the U.S. during the study period. The primary endpoint of the trial was the reduction in the proportion of participants with one or more episodes of any febrile illness and prospective secondary endpoints were severe febrile illness, and febrile upper respiratory illness. Effectiveness for any of the three endpoints was not demonstrated in a subgroup of adults 50-64 years of age.
Primary and secondary effectiveness endpoints from the age group 18-49 years of age are presented in Table 5. Effectiveness was not demonstrated for the primary endpoint in adults 18-49 years of age.

http://www.medimmune.com/pdf/products/flumist_pi.pdf

From the makers of one of the largest manufacturers of flu shots in the US:

Fluzone vaccine has been standardized according to the US Public Health Service (USPHS) requirements for the 2008-2009 influenza season and is formulated
to contain 45 micrograms (μg) hemagglutinin per 0.5 mL dose in the recommended ratio of 15 μg HA of each of the following 3 strains: A/Brisbane/59/2007
(H1N1), A/Uruguay/716/2007 (A/Brisbane/10/2007-like strain) (H3N2), and B/Florida/04/2006. Gelatin 0.05% is added as a stabilizer. Each 0.5 mL dose may contain
residual amounts of formaldehyde (not more than 100 μg), polyethylene glycol p-isooctylphenyl ether (not more than 0.02%), and sucrose (not more than 2.0%).

There is no thimerosal used in the manufacturing process of the No Preservative single-dose presentations of Fluzone vaccine. The multi-dose presentation
of Fluzone vaccine contains thimerosal, a mercury derivative, added as a preservative. Each 0.5 mL dose contains 25 μg mercury.

https://www.vaccineshoppe.com/image.cfm?doc_id=10203&image_type=product_pdf

So the bottom line is that multi-dose flu shots are admitted by the manufacturer to have mercury and formaldehyde in them. The FluMist vaccine is admitted by the manufacturer to not have measured efficacy in most adults.

ItsTime
10-25-2008, 01:25 PM
why are you thinking of getting one?

Kotin
10-25-2008, 01:43 PM
if you want mercury in you... might as well go eat some tuna though...

heavenlyboy34
10-25-2008, 05:54 PM
Flu shots are baaaad shit. The shot messed up my nervous system really bad, and I'm still on meds for it. :(:mad: Just mega-dose on Vitamin C instead.

Printo
10-25-2008, 06:52 PM
if you want mercury in you... might as well go eat some tuna though...

Ignorance is bliss.... :rolleyes:

Flu shots do not contain thiomersal which is the mercury agent this man speaks of. American & European vaccines have not contained mercury for several years. They have all been disposed of. And even if for some reason they were not thrown away, they have expired and have been/will be thrown away.

As a health care professional, I highly recommend you get a vaccine. It is the most cost effective form of preventive health care available. A vaccine costs you like $50. The costs of a doctor visit & prescription meds could easily be a couple hundred dollars depending on the illness being treated & what drugs are being prescribed. If you do not have a health insurance plan, getting vaccinated is a no-brainer. Health care is too damn expensive to be fooling around with your health because of irrational paranoia.

lucius
10-25-2008, 07:08 PM

...thiomersal...

It surely is: thimerosal.

youngbuck
10-25-2008, 07:09 PM
DO NOT GET A VACCINE! AVOID THEM AT ALL COSTS.

http://v.mercola.com/blogs/public_blog/Forced-Flu-Vaccination-and-Freedom-71536.aspx

There is a reason they're trying to make many vaccines mandatory, and why vaccines are almost unanimously shunned in the natural health circles. This person above that is a "health care professional" has been trained with mainstream medical information, kinda like Keynesian economics vs Austrian economics.

juice797
10-25-2008, 07:13 PM
So what if there is or isn't thimerosal? Mercury isn't harmful.
It's completely safe!

(Uh, what? That's not the standard propaganda line anymore?)

I mean, uh, don't worry, no thimerosal!
It's completely safe!

lucius
10-25-2008, 07:14 PM
http://www.cdc.gov/flu/images/cdc-logo-text.gif

Questions & Answers

Thimerosal in Seasonal Influenza Vaccine

Does the influenza vaccine contain thimerosal?

Yes, the majority of influenza vaccines distributed in the United States currently contain thimerosal as a preservative. However, some contain only trace amounts of thimerosal and are considered by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to be preservative-free...

http://www.cdc.gov/FLU/ABOUT/QA/thimerosal.htm

heavenlyboy34
10-25-2008, 07:26 PM
FLU SHOTS ARE EVIL!!

http://www.billgrayhomeopathy.com/FluShot.html
The Case Against Routine Flu Shots

Influenza A and Influenza B annually cause epidemics that pose varying degrees of illness. For the average flu, symptoms of headache, muscle aches, fatigue, fever, sore throat are limited to a few days to a few weeks. Often there is a stubborn drainage cough that may last a couple of weeks more even after the main illness. Most people recover fully with no continuing problems. Only people with unusually fragile health are in danger from the flu.

The typical season begins in November and peaks in late January or early February, tailing off into April. Influenza viruses have a very high rate of mutation, which means they are constantly changing their physico-chemical structure to adapt to new environments. This frustrates vaccine producers, because immunity developed one year carries over to the next year only by chance.

Pharmaceutical companies were initially reluctant to pursue such a challenge because of lawsuits. In the 1970s, Gerald Ford launched a government effort to inject people with Swine Flu Vaccine on the concept that the human race periodically experiences a devastating influenza epidemic like the 1918 Influenza Pandemic; his belief was that we were due.

Based on homeopathic principles, I warned my patients not to take that vaccine for fear of neurological disease. In fact, Swine Flu itself never developed, but drug companies were sued massively over Guillain-Barre Syndrome, a chronic paralytic condition.

Drug companies stayed out of the field of vaccines until Congress provided vaccine makers with lawsuit protection. Since then they have sponsored media campaigns for flu vaccine claiming 80% protection except in the elderly -- who were a major justification in the first place.

From year to year, UNvaccinated people do NOT get flu about 50-70% of the time. The State Health Department puts out a monthly California Morbidity and Mortality Report, which shows in North California an effectiveness rate of 15-25% for flu shots (except one year of 40%). This means that those who get flu shots have a 15-25% less chance of getting flu than those who are not vaccinated -- about the same as what the CDC claims but using the statistics differently.

I oppose flu shots because of the way they are made, which could be a contributor to the current drastic rise in Autoimmune Diseases of all kinds.

A word of explanation: A virus is a very tiny organism consisting of DNA or RNA in its core, and a shell of protein used to attach to a cell membrane in order to inject the DNA or RNA into the cell. This programs the cell’s chemistry into a factory to make many more virus particles which burst the cell and spread to other cells.

The body has several immune mechanisms to combat viruses. The first is mucous membranes such as nose, throat, lungs. Cells there mobilize to trap and kill viruses. Fever may be produced, burning out viruses without harming the body. There are T-cells and macrophages in the blood stream which mobilize to devour the viruses. And finally, as a piece of the process, antibodies are formed which inactivate them.

Because viruses are always mutating to evade the body’s defenses, LAST year’s vaccine would work no better than not vaccinating at all (so, an effectiveness rate of 60 or 70%). So experts meet soon after last year’s season and guess at what viruses might show up this year. They then GRIND UP those viruses into RANDOM PROTEINS using glass beads in rotating containers. These random proteins are then injected in the hope of stimulating ANTIBODIES against them.

Because the protein shell of the virus uses our own cell membranes as handles for attachment, they are similar in structure and chemistry to proteins in the cell membranes. If we make antibodies against viral RANDOM PROTEINS, we would also be making antibodies to RANDOM CELL MEMBRANE PROTEINS.

By definition, antibodies against our own cells is Autoimmune Disease. Such diseases predominating in recent years include Fibromyalgia, Thyroiditis, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Lupus Erythematosis, Sjogren’s, and likely even various types of colitis, multiple sclerosis, pericarditis, pulmonary fibrosis, etc.

Because of their relative ineffectiveness and potential harm, I recommend against flu shots for anyone of any age despite media pressure. For patients of mine who are already under constitutional treatment, if you get the flu, take a dose of your remedy. It works most of the time (though not always).

Another option is FluMist, a live vaccine which is taken as a nose spray. It costs a little less than twice as much, but it is as effective as the shot, lasts about 18 months, and should not have the Autoimmunity problem.

From the homeopathic point of view, it makes common sense to duplicate the ROUTE of administration of the virus. Flu in nature is acquired through mucous membranes, so all immune methods are involved. Bypassing such mechanisms by injecting random proteins does not make sense.

13 Nov 2005

heavenlyboy34
10-25-2008, 07:27 PM
DO NOT GET A VACCINE! AVOID THEM AT ALL COSTS.

http://v.mercola.com/blogs/public_blog/Forced-Flu-Vaccination-and-Freedom-71536.aspx

There is a reason they're trying to make many vaccines mandatory, and why vaccines are almost unanimously shunned in the natural health circles. This person above that is a "health care professional" has been trained with mainstream medical information, kinda like Keynesian economics vs Austrian economics.

+1! He was probably well paid by the vaccine makers too! :eek:

JenH88
10-25-2008, 09:27 PM
From LewRockwell.com..Avoid Flu Shots, Take Vitamin D Instead by Donald W. Miller, Jr., MD
http://www.lewrockwell.com/miller/miller27.html

Def. worth a read..

Chester Copperpot
10-25-2008, 09:49 PM
why or why not

When I was a little boy they came out with the flu vaccine.. And I remember people getting the shot all got sick.. This shit happens all the time.. They dont know what the fuck theyre doing and to make it LOOK like they know what theyre talking about theyll tell you to take it for your own good..

Let the OTHER people take the shot if they want. Ive never taken a flu shot in my life and Ive only gotten the flu once or twice ever.. Id rather get sick and take care of it that way than to have crap injected into me.

Chester Copperpot
10-25-2008, 09:52 PM
From LewRockwell.com..Avoid Flu Shots, Take Vitamin D Instead by Donald W. Miller, Jr., MD
http://www.lewrockwell.com/miller/miller27.html

Def. worth a read..

Interesting read Jen, thanks.

Kotin
10-25-2008, 09:54 PM

Flu shots do not contain thiomersal which is the mercury agent this man speaks of. American & European vaccines have not contained mercury for several years. They have all been disposed of. And even if for some reason they were not thrown away, they have expired and have been/will be thrown away.

As a health care professional, I highly recommend you get a vaccine. It is the most cost effective form of preventive health care available. A vaccine costs you like $50. The costs of a doctor visit & prescription meds could easily be a couple hundred dollars depending on the illness being treated & what drugs are being prescribed. If you do not have a health insurance plan, getting vaccinated is a no-brainer. Health care is too damn expensive to be fooling around with your health because of irrational paranoia.

thats full of shit.

Cowlesy
10-25-2008, 09:57 PM
Ive never taken a flu shot in my life and Ive only gotten the flu once or twice ever.. Id rather get sick and take care of it that way than to have crap injected into me.

mrocked --- I'm with Mike M. on this one. I survived college (which is a germ cesspool), and work in NYC (a huge germ cesspool), and I've never caught the flu (a cold every now and then).

I don't think vaccinations are evil and all that crap, but I think there is something to be said that the more stuff you preventatively immunize against, the more susceptible you may be to worse stuff in the future.

If you don't get sick very often in the first place, I'd say just let your natural immune system fight stuff off first.

Just my Joe-sixpack $0.02 cents.

shuffleproshaq
10-25-2008, 09:57 PM
Should I get a meningitis shot?

Roxi
10-25-2008, 10:18 PM
noooooooooooooooooooo

if your not supposed to put it in your body during pregnancy why would you want to put it in YOUR body?

be prepared to be sick if u do get it

i had one at 17, its the only time i have had the flu in my life :)

bj72
10-25-2008, 10:34 PM
Should I get a meningitis shot?

I think that is something you should research yourself. Don't just take someone's advice here, your Drs advice, or the CDC's advice without researching it yourself. Become informed, then make a decision. Read the info from the manufacturer, read the CDC website, and also read some websites against vaccinations. Dig deep. Then make a decision.

I never understood why people had a probelm with vaccines till our own son had a reaction. It wasn't a huge reaction, but still fairly worrisome. We had always just complied with what the military and our doctors had told us for his older sister and him. We even believed them when they said the reactions he had no coorelation. We were given the run around, several blood tests, and finally the Drs could offer no explaination for his reactions...but said it wasn't likely it was the vaccines, even though both problems happened within hours of the vaccines.

When our third child (second son) also had one of the same reactions within days of his 2 month shots (same time as our other son), we started to question more and did some research. He had been perfectly healthy up till that point. The reactions our second and now third child were having we found could be a reaction from one of the vaccines per the manufacturer's own info (just not one of the "major" reactions). When we came back for the 4 month mark we refused the shots and said we were still researching, explained the entire problem with both boys, and said we'd delay vaccinate maybe. The Dr asked me to look at the CDC website by the 6 month mark, said he was a huge fan of vaccinations and the "herd mentality". I hadn't heard that term before, and read up on it.

At the 6 month mark I explained that I checked the CDC website. The list of ingredients are worrisome to say the least. The fact that we are pressured to sign to vaccinate without truly informed consent went against reasonable logic. The FDA requires a box of Cheerios lists all the ingredients, but none of the ingredients of the vaccines are on any of the pamphlets in the Drs office. Nor are they on the consent forms. The fact that they were injecting up to 4 shots of 4 vaccinations at a time sometimes is also a problem. They do not like to do single dose vaccinations. However, if he has a reaction, the CDC recommends the child then not have that vaccination again...but how would a parent or Dr know which vaccination caused the reaction? He had no answers for me, and remained quiet. I asked if "human diploid tissue" listed on the CDC website was indeed "aborted fetal tissue" as I had read elsewhere. He said he hadn't heard about that till another mother asked a while back, and when he researched he candidly explained that he found it was indeed aborted fetal tissue. I asked if he was to "first do no harm" how he could justify that, to which he said that it had already happened, so might as well put it to good use. Again, I calmly pointed out that we were not informed that was in some of the vaccinations and had a moral and "religious" problem with that. I then said I wasn't saying all vaccination were horrible, but clearly I needed to do more research before I proceeded vaccinating my child. My husband and I also felt after my 2nd child's reactions and now this baby starting with one of the same, we felt it would be better to at least delay vaccinate and then single dose on the ones we decide upon. I asked which one the Dr would start with if he could choose just one...after hemming and hawwing...explaining several....he said chickenpox....really...chickenpox :rolleyes: He then said something to the affect that he was such a strong fan of vaccinations that if he could force us he would. He explained that the needs of the "herd" outweighed the "small" risk to the individual.

My husband wasn't happy when he heard that one at all. Needless to say we don't go to that Dr anymore. He's been deployed anyway. We now see a Nurse Practioner in the clinic who doesn't push. She was honest that she knew very little about the vaccinations (and said that most of the Dr just know what they've been told in seminars), and was interested and opened minded to what we had to say. Although she may not agree 100% (can't tell really), she at least recognizes the problem with the logic behind the system.

The staff still seems frazzled when we answer that his shots aren't up to date, and we are fine with that, lol. I wish had thought to research with our other two children. I am still undecided what we will do at the 2 yr mark, but he just turned 1 yr old, so we have some time left. BTW, he is our healthiest child to date. Has had two small colds and 1 fever...that's it. The other two had had all sorts of colds, fevers, earaches etc by their 1st birthday. Go figure:rolleyes:

heavenlyboy34
10-25-2008, 11:11 PM
I'm really impressed with your courage against doctor pressure, bj72. I hope that more people take your thoughtful stance in the future. I know I will!

Cheers!
Matvei. :D

DamianTV
10-26-2008, 07:16 AM
Lets just put it this way. If you were told that this year's flu shot was the H5N1 virus (Bird Flu), would you still get it?

RJB
10-26-2008, 08:22 AM
Lets just put it this way. If you were told that this year's flu shot was the H5N1 virus (Bird Flu), would you still get it?

1. No, If the virus does mutate to the point that it could harm people, it could mutate again so the vaccine would protect against it.

2. History has shown that scientist never know what they are doing. Every few years we look back and think, "what a bunch of neanderthals those scientist were, thank goodness we're living in a modern age." 10 years from now people will think our scientists are idiots too.

3. Every time I received some kind of vaccination while I was in the Marine Corps, I soon became sick.

4. To by pass the body's defenses (ie the skin, digestive system, etc.) with an injection straight into the blood stream goes against nature and is playing Russian Roulette with your system IMO.

Truth Warrior
10-26-2008, 08:31 AM
No, but only if you are not going to get the flu nor spread it to others.

ItsTime
10-26-2008, 08:39 AM

Did you know you can actually learn ignorance? What school are you going to again?

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/images/cdc-logo-text.gif

Questions & Answers

Thimerosal in Seasonal Influenza Vaccine

Does the influenza vaccine contain thimerosal?

Yes, the majority of influenza vaccines distributed in the United States currently contain thimerosal as a preservative. However, some contain only trace amounts of thimerosal and are considered by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to be preservative-free...

http://www.cdc.gov/FLU/ABOUT/QA/thimerosal.htm

ShowMeLiberty
10-26-2008, 08:55 AM
I can only say that I will not get a flu shot. I've never gotten a flu shot and I haven't had the flu in many years, though people I know who did get a flu shot also did get the flu.

I'm generally in good health (in spite of being a smoker). I try to eat well, take daily vitamins (nothing extreme, just a standard multi, a B100 and a Calcium-Magnesium-Zinc), I drink a lot of fruit juice and wash my hands often, especially during flu season. I have also not had a common cold in quite a few years.

Your mileage may vary.

lucius
10-26-2008, 10:11 AM
Did you know you can actually learn ignorance? What school are you going to again?

I was emphasizing to 'Printo' that as a self-professed 'health care professional' the correct spelling of thimerosal might add credence as well as knowing the proper talking points from the CDC--attempted sarcasm.

MRoCkEd
10-28-2008, 12:45 PM
any other opinions

dirknb@hotmail.com
10-28-2008, 12:51 PM
Here is a good documentary on the subject:

Vaccination - The Hidden Truth - http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6696666502913965744&q=vaccination+site%3Avideo.google.com&total=373&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0

FunkBuddha
10-28-2008, 01:15 PM
I got the flu shot. I've never gotten one before but my wife is due to have our son in November so I got it as a precaution. I almost always get the flu so if I can avoid it this year and not get my infant son sick it's worth it.

MRoCkEd
10-29-2008, 12:24 PM
hmmmmm

dsentell
10-29-2008, 12:49 PM
I used to get the flu shot every year and every year I would get a cold, the flu and bronchitis. About four years ago, I read an article on the internet that said the flu shot met the government definition for "hazardous waste". I felt like I had been kicked in the head. I would not want to touch hazardous waste, much less have it injected into me.

The flu shots ended for me and since then, I have not had one cold, have not had the flu and have not had bronchitis - not even once!

This year after having flu shots for god only knows how many years, I gave my mother some articles dealing with the issue. She studied them all, discussed it with me, and has now decided no more flu shots for her!

dannno
10-29-2008, 12:56 PM
No. Bad idea. You could end up in a hospital for weeks, mercury poisoning, etc.. just not worth it.

I've heard plenty of horror stories of people in real life getting the vaccine, and suddenly coming down with a god awful case of the flu.

I just wish people who got the vaccine had to wear a sign around their neck so I can avoid them.

DAFTEK
10-29-2008, 12:58 PM
I took the shot the last two years threw my company for $20 so i went with it.

I am now back on OJ, One-A-Day and a 800 vitamin C