PDA

View Full Version : Why don't we apportion congress by % of nationwide vote?

klamath
10-25-2008, 08:44 AM
A lot of people talk about removing the electoral college and going to a direct election by the popular vote. Why don't we just just have a national election for the senate and house and have the breakdown of congress be based on the national election percentages?

forsmant
10-25-2008, 08:46 AM
Because I would never get anyone elected!!!!

klamath
10-25-2008, 08:49 AM
Because I would never get anyone elected!!!!

Aw. Sure you would. The dogcatcher:D

angelatc
10-25-2008, 08:51 AM
Because we were supposed to be a representative republic, and not a democracy.

klamath
10-25-2008, 08:54 AM
Because we were supposed to be a representative republic, and not a democracy.

We would still have representitives.

forsmant
10-25-2008, 08:55 AM
Yeah from New York and California.

klamath
10-25-2008, 08:57 AM
Yeah from New York and California.

What do you have against California dogcatchers?:p

TastyWheat
10-25-2008, 09:57 AM
I don't get what you're saying. You want people from other states and districts to elect my representative?

klamath
10-25-2008, 10:09 AM
I don't get what you're saying. You want people from other states and districts to elect my representative?

Yes that is what I am saying but no it is not really what I want. This is an attempt to get the people to see why getting rid of the electoral college is really a move to give even greater power to the federal level.

slothman
10-25-2008, 10:18 AM
First, this is the United States of America.
It isn't a "people's republic".
Second, because of that I think the election of Senators should be from the states, and in my opinion from the stats legislatures.
Second, I do think we need proportional representation.
Right now third parties have little to no chance of getting elected.
With proportional they would get at least some reps.
It would have to be country-wise because Vermont would have no real weight in Congress.
Third, I think we should keep the Electorial College.
It actually makes you less likely to have your vote wasted.

Uncle Emanuel Watkins
10-25-2008, 11:44 AM
A lot of people talk about removing the electoral college and going to a direct election by the popular vote. Why don't we just just have a national election for the senate and house and have the breakdown of congress be based on the national election percentages?

When one has lightning in a bottle, one does not change the lightning in a bottle for other lightning. Ammend means to clarify, to tweak, to alter slightly. Cherish it. Either know what you have or kick your ass to know what you have.