PDA

View Full Version : Religion - What is the name for what I believe in?

sailor
10-25-2008, 07:51 AM
This religion talk reminded me of something. My view on the question wether there is a God or not is that there are absolute ethics, that there is right and wrong and that therefore wether there is a God or not is irrelevant and shouldn`t be important. Either there is and the ethics and all the good stems from him and we get a place in heaven if we are good. Or there isn`t and the ethics exists independently of anything really and when we die we just die. But in either case there is such a thing as good and bad and we should try to do good.

Anyways this sort of view has a name of it`s own. But I forgot what it is. :eek: I can`t remember. I have like a brain blockade.

Anybody knows, what is this called? When they ask you `is there a God` and you anwser `irrelevant`?

Original_Intent
10-25-2008, 07:56 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicomachean_Ethics

This what you are thinking of?

Truth Warrior
10-25-2008, 08:07 AM
The Riddle of the World

Know then thyself, presume not God to scan
The proper study of Mankind is Man.
Placed on this isthmus of a middle state,
A Being darkly wise, and rudely great
With too much knowledge for the Sceptic side,
With too much weakness for the Stoic's pride,
He hangs between; in doubt to act, or rest;
In doubt to deem himself a God, or Beast;
In doubt his mind and body to prefer;
Born but to die, and reas'ning but to err;
Whether he thinks to little, or too much;
Chaos of Thought and Passion, all confus'd;
Still by himself, abus'd or disabus'd;
Created half to rise and half to fall;
Great Lord of all things, yet a prey to all,
Sole judge of truth, in endless error hurl'd;
The glory, jest and riddle of the world.

-- Alexander Pope (http://www.cs.rice.edu/~ssiyer/minstrels/index_poet_P.html#Pope)

hillertexas
10-25-2008, 08:29 AM
Ignostic?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignosticism

sailor
10-25-2008, 08:46 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicomachean_Ethics

This what you are thinking of?

Not really, the name was one word and I think it was one of them -ism words.

Ignostic?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignosticism

No, my thing has this moral absolutism thing in the forefront and it very much draws its conclusions from there. (Infact it was like supposed to be a struggle to find wether god exists not important.) This Ignosticism just seems like playing dumb to me.

Thanks for trying to help. :)

TER
10-25-2008, 08:52 AM
Edit. I can't recall the name of it either...

TastyWheat
10-25-2008, 10:06 AM
Unitarian or Universalist? They're basically amalgamations of all the religions. No firm set of beliefs or traditions or practices, just people worshiping as they see fit.

Spider-Man
10-25-2008, 11:29 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deontology

sailor
10-25-2008, 12:23 PM
Not jet there.

Maybe this that I just remembered will help you. There is a joke about "us". It goes something like; There will be a debate between theists and atheists to once and for all decide wether there is a god or not. _____ists have been selected to moderate the debate. They just don`t care.

Ok, maybe it won`t be that helpful. I`m clutching at straws here. :D

mmink15
10-25-2008, 01:08 PM
Is it Daoism? I know that is an old religion, but I believe it has a similar tone. The path is what matters not the destination... that sort of thing

Original_Intent
10-25-2008, 02:54 PM
Is it Daoism? I know that is an old religion, but I believe it has a similar tone. The path is what matters not the destination... that sort of thing

You have the pronunciation right but it is spelled Taoism. The yin yang folks. But the T is indeed pronounced as a D. Or possibly both spellings are legit.

mmink15
10-25-2008, 03:19 PM
You have the pronunciation right but it is spelled Taoism. The yin yang folks. But the T is indeed pronounced as a D. Or possibly both spellings are legit.

Funny you say that, I've seen it spelled both ways and literally did an eeny-meeny-miney-mo to pick which spelling I'd use.

sailor
10-26-2008, 04:49 AM

No mate, I think I would knew it if I were into some Asian stuff. :D

Truth Warrior
10-26-2008, 04:59 AM
A lost "sheep" looking for his "shepherd". :( :rolleyes: Maybe it's just "flockism".

Mini-Me
10-26-2008, 05:16 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apatheism?
That seems like the logical answer to your joke about who would moderate the debate, and it takes an apathetic stance on the God question, but it doesn't take a stance on universal morality.

Truth Warrior
10-26-2008, 05:24 AM
If you don't even know what it is, then how do you know that you believe it? :rolleyes:

Mini-Me
10-26-2008, 05:28 AM
If you don't even know what it is, then how do you know that you believe it? :rolleyes:

You can still believe in something without knowing the precise single-word term for it (assuming there is one).

Truth Warrior
10-26-2008, 05:37 AM
You can still believe in something without knowing the precise single-word term for it (assuming there is one). Really? I don't think that I've EVER been able to do that. Hmmm? Curious.

constituent
10-26-2008, 06:15 AM
@OP

you're thinking about it too much.

Truth Warrior
10-26-2008, 06:20 AM
BS is the coin of the realm. :( :rolleyes:

constituent
10-26-2008, 07:06 AM
BS is the coin of the realm. :( :rolleyes:

did you make that up? i like.

Mini-Me
10-26-2008, 07:08 AM
Really? I don't think that I've EVER been able to do that. Hmmm? Curious.

You recall the thread about selectively removing the memories of mice, right? ;) Well - assuming you would call your beliefs anarcho-capitalist - what would happen if you still believed in every detail of it, but your memory of the word "anarcho-capitalism" itself was selectively erased from your memory? You'd still have a very well-defined belief system, but you wouldn't remember what it's supposed to be called. Language helps us express thoughts, and while language itself also shapes thought to a large degree, many words have developed as merely concise ways to describe or refer to more complicated preexisting concepts and systems (of beliefs or whatever else). Using the example of anarcho-capitalism again: Expose one young child to the word itself for the first time, and he will have no understanding of what it means or what underlying system it's meant to describe. Expose another young child to the basic concepts and principles, without ever mentioning the word itself (which only came after many of the concepts had already been imagined), and he'll understand the system, but he won't have a convenient way to describe it. Assuming he subscribes to its principals, ask him what he believes in and your precocious anarcho-capitalist in training will say something like, "You know, that one ideology that advocates no government, but for spontaneous order to arise from the free market, and people's rights are protected by...blah, blah." That's a bit like where sailor is right now...except not exactly, because in this particular instance sailor is only vaguely familiar with the belief system he's trying to find the namesake for.

Truth Warrior
10-26-2008, 07:11 AM
did you make that up? i like.

I guess so. :D I don't recall "borrowing" it. ;)

Truth Warrior
10-26-2008, 07:13 AM
You recall the thread about selectively removing the memories of mice, right? ;) Well - assuming you would call your beliefs anarcho-capitalist - what would happen if you still believed in every detail of it, but your memory of the word "anarcho-capitalism" itself was selectively erased from your memory? You'd still have a very well-defined belief system, but you wouldn't remember what it's supposed to be called. Language helps us express thoughts, and while language itself also shapes thought to a large degree, many words have developed as merely concise ways to describe or refer to more complicated preexisting concepts and systems (of beliefs or whatever else). Using the example of anarcho-capitalism again: Expose one young child to the word itself for the first time, and he will have no understanding of what it means or what underlying system it's meant to describe. Expose another young child to the basic concepts and principles, without ever mentioning the word itself (which only came after many of the concepts had already been imagined), and he'll understand the system, but he won't have a convenient way to describe it. Assuming he subscribes to its principals, ask him what he believes in and your precocious anarcho-capitalist in training will say something like, "You know, that one ideology that advocates no government, but for spontaneous order to arise from the free market, and people's rights are protected by...blah, blah." That's a bit like where sailor is right now...except not exactly, because in this particular instance sailor is only vaguely familiar with the belief system he's trying to find the namesake for. Ah, but I DO remember how to do this.

http://www.ask.com/web?q=anarcho%20capitalism&o=10616&l=dir&qsrc=167 (http://www.ask.com/web?q=anarcho%20capitalism&o=10616&l=dir&qsrc=167)

sailor
10-26-2008, 07:17 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apatheism?
That seems like the logical answer to your joke about who would moderate the debate, and it takes an apathetic stance on the God question, but it doesn't take a stance on universal morality.

You`re right that would work for the joke too, but stil not there. :) This is a sub-genre of Atheism, wheres my is an independent thing.

I came up with it on my own a long time ago. But then I was Googling around one day and BANG! I by accident found that I wasn`t the first to come up with it and that there have been a few likeminded thinkers of some renome that had already reached the same conclusions and expanded on it quite a bit.

But I forgot what they had called it! Dammit! :eek:

I need to know so I can read their thing when I have the time. How the hell could it slip my mind?!

Truth Warrior
10-26-2008, 07:26 AM
I came up with it on my own a long time ago. But then I was Googling around one day and BANG! I by accident found that I wasn`t the first to come up with it and that there have been a few likeminded thinkers of some renome that had already reached the same conclusions and expanded on it quite a bit.

But I forgot what they had called it! Dammit! :eek:

I need to know so I can read their thing when I have the time. How the hell could it slip my mind?! Senior moment? ;)