PDA

View Full Version : Any chance of Constitutional/Libertarian Parties having a primary?

DirtMcGirt
10-24-2008, 01:58 PM
Do you think they could set up an "online/mail in" presidential primary for members; to bring some more attention and excitement to these growing parties?

Any suggestions?

NewFederalist
10-24-2008, 02:05 PM
I think it is a great idea but unlikely since the zealots in both parties would rather make war with each other than work together on those issues on which they agree.

nickcoons
10-24-2008, 02:15 PM
I think it is a great idea but unlikely since the zealots in both parties would rather make war with each other than work together on those issues on which they agree.

I can't speak for the Constitution Party, but the Libertarian doesn't have one because of the costs involved. The Republican and Democratic primaries are taxpayer funded, and the Libertarian Party will have no part of that.

This has nothing to do with zealots.

An online primary would likely be less costly, but then I suppose you have the issues of identity verification (one person voting 10 times, etc).

DirtMcGirt
10-24-2008, 02:37 PM
I figured cost would be an issue, that's why online would be a good alternative, if they came up with a pin number and name you could keep fraud to a minimum. (probably less fraud than diabold) Also, i would assume you would need some gatekeeper type delegates worked into the final outcome.

NewFederalist
10-24-2008, 03:18 PM
Ross Perot did it back in 1996 with the Reform Party. Hardly a new idea and he had provisions for internet as well as telephone balloting. No it isn't the cost, it's the zealots.

DirtMcGirt
10-24-2008, 03:47 PM
i didn't know ross used online voting for the reform party... thanks for the info

nate895
10-24-2008, 04:14 PM
The LP has primaries in several states already. I know the CP used to have primaries in California, but now the AIP isn't affiliated with them anymore.

I dislike primaries anyway, the caucus/convention system leads to more activism and eliminates people who are only borderline Republicans or Democrats.

heavenlyboy34
10-24-2008, 04:24 PM
I can't speak for the Constitution Party, but the Libertarian doesn't have one because of the costs involved. The Republican and Democratic primaries are taxpayer funded, and the Libertarian Party will have no part of that.

An online primary would likely be less costly, but then I suppose you have the issues of identity verification (one person voting 10 times, etc).

Cheers to that! :D

nickcoons
10-24-2008, 07:08 PM
Ross Perot did it back in 1996 with the Reform Party. Hardly a new idea and he had provisions for internet as well as telephone balloting. No it isn't the cost, it's the zealots.

We could probably go back and forth with the "yes it is" "not it isn't" disagreement all day. Suffice it to say, I often work with the local party chairs, and the impression that I get is "we're not going to take part in a taxpayer-funded presidential primary process." The "zealots" tend not to get involved with the party and are not functional activists. Most of the party officers are normally very level-headed and pragmatic individuals.

Additionally, I'm not sure what the value of a presidential primary process would be. I don't see anything wrong with the party's presidential candidate being determined at the national convention.

Ross Perot was a billionaire, so I don't think cost entered into the equation for him.

dr. hfn
10-24-2008, 07:20 PM

Are you sure the Rep/Dem primaries are taxpayer funded?

forsmant
10-24-2008, 07:26 PM
The LP has primaries in several states already. I know the CP used to have primaries in California, but now the AIP isn't affiliated with them anymore.

I dislike primaries anyway, the caucus/convention system leads to more activism and eliminates people who are only borderline Republicans or Democrats.

I agree with you as I have stated in many other threads on primaries.

nickcoons
10-24-2008, 11:46 PM
Are you sure the Rep/Dem primaries are taxpayer funded?

I don't have a reference handy, but I'm fairly certain of it.