PDA

View Full Version : Lewis Black Talks About Ron Paul

Havax
10-24-2008, 11:30 AM
Lewis Black came to my school (Maryland) last night and did a show. He basically only talked about politics in an angry manner, he literally didn't have many actual jokes. Anyway, he talked about how messed up the economy was and said very slowly "No one saw this coming...not Obama...not McCain...not fucking anyone" and then sort of paused. Someone then shouted "RON PAUL" in front of 5,000 silent people. A mild burst of applause followed surprisingly (including me of course).

He then said "Here's the thing about that fucking guy..." and then the crowd laughed and he walked in the direction of the shouter and literally stood there at a loss for words for a good 5-10 seconds. He literally didn't know what to say. Then he said "Now, that guy has said a lot of great things...but he also said things that were...fucking psychotic". Then the sheep laughed and applauded, but not as loud as you'd expect them too. He then went on to say how "they're all the same...Obama, McCain, Ron Paul" and it's all fucked up.

Someone yelled Ron Paul after this one more time after he said something and he sort of shrugged it off, probably because he had nothing good to come back with like the first time. Also, Lewis Black is very angry and the only 2 positive things he said all night about politicians were "Ron Paul said some great things" and "Obama is right on his energy plan, I'll give him that". Other than that he distrusts all of them and I did enjoy his attack of the two party Republican-Democrat failed systems.

Kotin
10-24-2008, 11:33 AM
what an ass.

If I heard someone say Ron Paul was the same as obama and mccain I would have a fit.

Sandra
10-24-2008, 11:33 AM
Lewis Black IS a commedian who thinks he is a political icon sometimes. He usually just makes observations that are funny.

MsDoodahs
10-24-2008, 11:35 AM
Thanks!

:)

MRoCkEd
10-24-2008, 11:37 AM
Someone from daily paul handed Black The Revolution:A Manifesto at a book signing back in July (http://www.dailypaul.com/node/56727). I guess it didn't convert him.

angelatc
10-24-2008, 11:45 AM
The correct response is always "Ron Paul was right."

JohnMeridith
10-24-2008, 11:46 AM
Fuck Lewis Black.

ladyjade3
10-24-2008, 11:52 AM
Someone from daily paul handed Black The Revolution:A Manifesto at a book signing back in July (http://www.dailypaul.com/node/56727). I guess it didn't convert him.

He just hasn't read it. maybe now that people are screaming his name at his shows, he will, in the interest of coming up with a come-back.

RevolutionSD
10-24-2008, 11:57 AM
Actually I somewhat agree with Lewis Black here. With all the good things that Ron Paul was able to get out in the mainstream discussion, he didn't move us any close to liberty. In fact, since his campaign, things have become far worse- nationalization of banks, $700 billion bailouts, even more out of control federal reserve.

So Black has a point. They're all fucked up. Ron Paul SAYS some GREAT things, but politicians are as a rule, evil- and will work against liberty as a rule. We will NEVER achieve liberty by begging our masters and trying to vote in the "good guys". Ron Paul is certainly an exception to the rule. But even if we had 10 more Ron Paul's in congress, this would do nothing, and may actually hurt our desire for freedom and liberty- it would give even more credibility to the idea that we NEED a government to run our lives in the first place.

Agorism & non-compliance are how we win this battle...not hoping that another Ron Paul will come riding in on a horse to save us. Won't work, will never work.

Now what Black said about Obama's energy policy is just asinine, the idea that the government needs to take over for the free market to "decide" what energy we will use is completely insane and will only impede progress.

MRoCkEd
10-24-2008, 12:00 PM
He just hasn't read it. maybe now that people are screaming his name at his shows, he will, in the interest of coming up with a come-back.
i hope so

angelatc
10-24-2008, 12:00 PM
Actually I somewhat agree with Lewis Black here. With all the good things that Ron Paul was able to get out in the mainstream discussion, he didn't move us any close to liberty. In fact, since his campaign, things have become far worse- nationalization of banks, $700 billion bailouts, even more out of control federal reserve.

It is far too soon to determine if the revolution will have an effect.

But I think the objection was primarily to the assertion that Ron Paul said psychotic things.

FindLiberty
10-24-2008, 12:08 PM
"...but he [Ron Paul] also said things that were...fucking psychotic".

Maybe he hasn't had the time to think over THOSE things, to discover that they are also right on the mark, and in retrospect, only f'n shocking (to realize for the first time, the true horror that is actually happening to America, from within)!

dr. hfn
10-24-2008, 12:31 PM
someone should have debated him right fucking there!!!!

RP R3VOLUTION!!!!

mmink15
10-24-2008, 12:37 PM
Lewis Black is in Reading Pa tonight. I'd make the trip if I didn't have to work and be tonight's guy shouting Ron Paul.

MRoCkEd
10-24-2008, 12:40 PM
Lewis Black is in Reading Pa tonight. I'd make the trip if I didn't have to work and be tonight's guy shouting Ron Paul.
Find someone from a local meetup to do it. :D

mmink15
10-24-2008, 12:44 PM
Find someone from a local meetup to do it. :D

I just sent out e-mails to my local meet-up peeps. If I hear from any of them I'll keep you posted. I'll be back on-line around midnight, so update to follow around then.

Feenix566
10-24-2008, 01:21 PM
The distance between insanity and genius is measured only by success.

Havax
10-24-2008, 01:31 PM
I just sent out e-mails to my local meet-up peeps. If I hear from any of them I'll keep you posted. I'll be back on-line around midnight, so update to follow around then.

Excellent! Make sure they do it, because all he does is talk about politics in his routine. Be sure to report back what he says.

mrwiizrd
10-24-2008, 01:41 PM
Fuck Lewis Black.

Dude, Lewis Black is a comedian, some of you folks need to relax a little and just shrug it off when people say negative things about RP.

One of the greatest things about this grassroots campaign is that we're not sheeple.

I cringe every time I read something like this, it makes you look like a fanatic and it's the exact same way the republicrats react when someone says something they don't like about the Obamessiah or McSame.

Brian4Liberty
10-24-2008, 01:52 PM
What Lewis Black meant to say was that Ron Paul did not support war against all of Lewis' perceived enemies...

Omphfullas Zamboni
10-24-2008, 01:53 PM
Dude, Lewis Black is a comedian, some of you folks need to relax a little and just shrug it off when people say negative things about RP.

One of the greatest things about this grassroots campaign is that we're not sheeple.

I cringe every time I read something like this, it makes you look like a fanatic and it's the exact same way the republicrats react when someone says something they don't like about the Obamessiah or McSame.

We're just starving for some good PR; it makes us perhaps a trifle needy.

Athan
10-24-2008, 01:54 PM
Lol, fuck that Mr.Wiz. I say.. this is a great idea.

Black needs to be educated by the Revolution. You don't fuck with Dr. Ron Paul.

mrwiizrd
10-24-2008, 02:27 PM
Lol, fuck that Mr.Wiz. I say.. this is a great idea.

Black needs to be educated by the Revolution. You don't fuck with Dr. Ron Paul.

I'm not saying you shouldn't try to make to make Mr. Black convert, by all means go for it.

All I am saying is that the sheeple already think we're half nutz, we need to be careful not throw gas on the fire, stand back, watch it burn, and wonder why the thing never got off the ground.

OferNave
10-24-2008, 02:38 PM

So Black has a point. They're all fucked up. Ron Paul SAYS some GREAT things, but politicians are as a rule, evil- and will work against liberty as a rule. We will NEVER achieve liberty by begging our masters and trying to vote in the "good guys". Ron Paul is certainly an exception to the rule. But even if we had 10 more Ron Paul's in congress, this would do nothing, and may actually hurt our desire for freedom and liberty- it would give even more credibility to the idea that we NEED a government to run our lives in the first place.

Agorism & non-compliance are how we win this battle...not hoping that another Ron Paul will come riding in on a horse to save us. Won't work, will never work.

Now what Black said about Obama's energy policy is just asinine, the idea that the government needs to take over for the free market to "decide" what energy we will use is completely insane and will only impede progress.

I definitely think you have some valid points. I love Ron Paul, because he has the integrity to stick to his principles - but I don't agree with all his principles. Afterall, I'm an anarcho-capitalist, not a minarchist. So from a certain perspective, Black is right about there being no difference between Paul and the rest.

This might be hard to watch for some, but I really thing we can learn a lot from this alternate perspective after the spending so many months in the Ron Paul Revolution mind frame:

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=9B883EE065DC5B8C

escapinggreatly
10-24-2008, 02:45 PM
Don't hate on Black. I've been a big fan of his for years now, and I'd argue that he actually believes in most of the things that everyone here believes in. He just wants to crack some jokes along the way.

http://www.meltingpotproject.com/photos/uncategorized/2008/10/22/libertariansig.jpg
The Melting Pot Project: Proportional Representation. New Parties. Intern Jokes. (http://www.meltingpotproject.com/)

Athan
10-24-2008, 03:05 PM
Hey, all I'm saying.. is having some of the Revolution in his crowds putting up some enthusiastic support for Dr. Paul is a damned fine idea.

The last thing we need the sheeple to forget is SOMEBODY DID tell all Americans that this was coming.

And for EVERY time they choose to stand up and bitch like Black did, we need to remind them that when they cry, it was because they ignored the warnings. I didn't loose my money in the markets because of Dr. Paul. I'm getting all sorts of winning advice every time I hear him talk about what is going on.

We need to rub it in publicly. Hell we should enjoy it and revel in our glory and awesomeness of not being stupid fucking idiots like Mr. Know-it-all who is probably angry that his money is gone and now has to raise some more by talking to the sheeple instead of living the high life.

So he thinks Dr. Paul said some things that were "fucking psychotic" eh? Yeah, like a fox bitch. Who's your daddy now? Feel it! Feel THE BURN BITCH!

cybloo
12-05-2008, 10:00 PM

I don't think Lewis Black is one for the free market in the first place.

Natalie
12-05-2008, 10:07 PM
Lame. I always assumed Lewis Black was on our side.

My favorite Lewis Black quote:

"Allow me to explain how our federal government works. To begin with, by the federal government I mean Democrats and Republicans working together. And the only thing dumber than a Democrat and a Republican is when those pricks work together. You see, in our two-party system, the Democrats are the party of no ideas and the Republicans are the party of bad ideas. It usually goes something like this. A Replubican will stand up in Congress and say, "I've got a really bad idea." And a Democrat will immediately jump to his feet and declare, "And I'm gonna make it shittier.""

james1906
12-05-2008, 10:07 PM
I don't think he can support someone whose district is at the end of the universe.

http://www.gergltd.com/users/isaac.gerg/starbucks/images/panorama.jpg

nate895
12-05-2008, 10:46 PM
I have never liked Lewis Black. He is just an angry douchebag who knows how to swear and speak in generalizations that nearly everybody can agree with. If you never mention policy, he is a funny guy for all but party hardliners. That is the nature of the comedy business: be funny to the most people. He can't join a particular side, because then his audience is limited and therefore he makes less money. However, he strikes me as a liberal in the mold of Ralph Nader, except he consistently demeans his intelligence by resorting to vulgarity, making him nothing but douche.

Knightskye
12-05-2008, 10:51 PM
Hahahahahaha.

Anyway, I wonder what he thought was "psychotic".

heavenlyboy34
12-05-2008, 10:53 PM
Don't hate on Black. I've been a big fan of his for years now, and I'd argue that he actually believes in most of the things that everyone here believes in. He just wants to crack some jokes along the way.

+1 Black is on the right side mostly...he's just doing his schtick by picking on RP and libertarians. ;)

Andrew-Austin
12-05-2008, 11:06 PM
He never says anything insightful, just general observations that a lot of Americans pick up on already and words them in his humorous angry fashion.

Jeremy
12-05-2008, 11:15 PM
maybe hes trying to be like george carlin

is it just me or do people like to imitate dead people?

BuddyRey
12-05-2008, 11:32 PM
maybe hes trying to be like george carlin

is it just me or do people like to imitate dead people?

Probably so!

I love George Carlin, but I must admit, it seemed like a big part of his persona in the latter part of his career was, if not directly derived from, at least inspired by the late Bill Hicks.

constituent
12-06-2008, 07:45 AM
He never says anything insightful, just general observations that a lot of Americans pick up on already and words them in his humorous angry fashion.

The hallmark of a true comic genius, imo.

(though he has slipped significantly in the past half-decade or so... how the mighty have fallen)

Thrashertm
12-06-2008, 11:34 AM
Lewis Black came to my school (Maryland) last night and did a show. He basically only talked about politics in an angry manner, he literally didn't have many actual jokes. Anyway, he talked about how messed up the economy was and said very slowly "No one saw this coming...not Obama...not McCain...not fucking anyone" and then sort of paused. Someone then shouted "RON PAUL" in front of 5,000 silent people. A mild burst of applause followed surprisingly (including me of course).

He then said "Here's the thing about that fucking guy..." and then the crowd laughed and he walked in the direction of the shouter and literally stood there at a loss for words for a good 5-10 seconds. He literally didn't know what to say. Then he said "Now, that guy has said a lot of great things...but he also said things that were...fucking psychotic". Then the sheep laughed and applauded, but not as loud as you'd expect them too. He then went on to say how "they're all the same...Obama, McCain, Ron Paul" and it's all fucked up.

Someone yelled Ron Paul after this one more time after he said something and he sort of shrugged it off, probably because he had nothing good to come back with like the first time. Also, Lewis Black is very angry and the only 2 positive things he said all night about politicians were "Ron Paul said some great things" and "Obama is right on his energy plan, I'll give him that". Other than that he distrusts all of them and I did enjoy his attack of the two party Republican-Democrat failed systems.

My story about Lewis Black:
Lewis was on tour promoting his book tour, and I heard him on a radio interview say that atheists are unhappy people. Lewis himself is not an atheist. A few days later, he was in my city, to promote his book, and at the group Q&A session after his schtick, I called him on it. I asked him "Lewis, you said on NPR a few days ago that atheists are unhappy people, and you are not an atheist, so does that mean you are happy?" The crowd all laughed, as he's obviously not happy; his act is to be on the verge of an aneurysm for 2 hours. He was speechless for about 5 seconds, then responded with something like "Dude, I am a comedian, sometimes I say shit without thinking to try to be funny".

I think you can group his comments about Ron Paul into this category. I think he was just talking out his ass without thinking.

satchelmcqueen
12-06-2008, 09:39 PM
My story about Lewis Black:
Lewis was on tour promoting his book tour, and I heard him on a radio interview say that atheists are unhappy people. Lewis himself is not an atheist. A few days later, he was in my city, to promote his book, and at the group Q&A session after his schtick, I called him on it. I asked him "Lewis, you said on NPR a few days ago that atheists are unhappy people, and you are not an atheist, so does that mean you are happy?" The crowd all laughed, as he's obviously not happy; his act is to be on the verge of an aneurysm for 2 hours. He was speechless for about 5 seconds, then responded with something like "Dude, I am a comedian, sometimes I say shit without thinking to try to be funny".

I think you can group his comments about Ron Paul into this category. I think he was just talking out his ass without thinking.

i think you are right here. atleast he said that Paul has said some great things. maybe his pause after that line was a moment of respect or something, or a "here comes the not true joke part" .then the put down line.