PDA

View Full Version : C4L Webmaster Responds to Concerns about the New Site

MRoCkEd
10-23-2008, 05:48 PM
from http://campaignforliberty.com/blog.php?view=2683

This featured entry has a twist: the entry raises legitimate questions about our website, and our webmaster, Adam de Angeli, answers them.

Suggestions for the C4l Site

Posted by nwrcracing on 10/23/08 10:23 AM

nwrcracing: The tools that have been added so far are great, nothing needs to be removed but maybe some modifications could help us. Lets start with what I feel is most important and I will try to explain why I think the way I do.

1. The blog is great but we need a seperate forum as well, it should have a place where only paying members can chat and a public one for everyone else. I feel that the password protected section for precinct leader members is neccessary to facilitate easy and quick communication locally and nationwide. The forum for both should be categorized by state with subsections within each.

Adam: I agree, we do need to have forums, and we should have forums for both regular users and dues-paying members. The forums are already in development, but right now, I am focused primarily on developing and improving the tools we already have. A list of recent blog entries written by your contacts. Better tools for state and local coordinators. Better video embedding capabilities. Statistics and metrics for HQ. Plus, we are diverting a substantial amount of resources toward mobilization for the upcoming election. Developing the forum will be a large project (may take several committed days) and other priorities have to come first. But yes, we hear you, and there will be forums.

nwrcracing: 2. The design of the site...I have to admit that I prefered the other sites looks to this one. It was more appealing before, and as anyone that works online or shops online knows a GREAT LOOKING SITE IS A MUST to keep and attract the people you are targeting. I don't like to criticize others efforts when I did not put any effort in but this sites design/layout looks like a cheap template. I suggest returning to the look of the old c4l site but keeping the tools and adding some new ones. If the c4l staff needs assistance they could easily ask the members of c4l.

Adam: I have heard this, and also heard praise for the design of this site over the old one. We've also noticed that the site looks better on some browsers than others (in particular, the colors on Internet Explorer versions 6 and below look out of place). Either way, yes, the site could look nicer. We are bringing in a graphic designer to head up this project.

nwrcracing: 3. I don't know about you but I liked the widgets telling us how many members have joined us, it was nice to see the names roll by and the number climb...but now we have NO CLUE how many members there are, we have no idea if we are growing or just sitting stagnant. Same with the donation progress meters, the progress meters were a force in the donation drives, we must bring those back. Don't you remember watching those tickers tick all day, contacting other to donate, spreading the message throughout the web so other can watch and participate.

Adam: Of course we remember! We will be bringing the meters back. The main hurdle here is that the numbers themselves--we've raised about 140,000 Fed notes online since the site launch, and we have about 12,000 members on the new site so far. Nothing to sneeze at, but not exactly worth trumpeting. To give you a scoop, we are going to call out a "People Bomb" for November 5th (anniversary of the first great Money Bomb, first day of new election cycle) and will probably put the meters back in for that. Look for an announcement soon.

nwrcracing: 4. Banners need to be re-implemented, I had a c4l banner on all my sites(10+)...you know the wide banner with the eagle soaring and names kept scrolling on it with a member number count and it linked to the campaign for liberty telling others to join us. Many of you may have even clicked on one of these to find us.

Adam: Another work in progress. Yes, the banners will be back.

nwrcracing: 5. Gauranteed reponse? Paying members are supposed to be responded to when we ask a question. Well we asked them a question 5 days ago and NOTHING yet. So much for the gauranteed reponse. I suggest either removing the statement that they will respond or JUST RESPOND.

Adam: In the first few days we had too many issues to handle in one day, but we have caught up and everyone has at least received acknowledgement that their support requests have been forwarded to the right person. In your case, the issue is that you are not a dues-paying member. We are still catching up on requests from free accounts.

nwrcracing: Well I just wanted to let others know what my thoughts were on the new site. I love the tools and educational material and links, the content is great and I am sure it will only improve over time. We just need to work on the site a bit and bring back some of the stuff that made this campaign great.

Again if the C4L staff needs help I am sure they only need ASK and many will volunteer their time and talents to make this a very sucessful movement.

Adam: Thanks for your patience, nwrcracing. Yes, it will only improve, and I am doing all that I can. I have actually made contact with several supporters who have volunteered their assistance as web programmers, and in the coming weeks we are going to shore up a tech team.

This entry is really encouraging. :cool:

torchbearer
10-23-2008, 05:50 PM
I've been digging around on the site, and i'm blown away by its capabilities.
The LP couldn't develop something like this in a million years.
I've already connected with activist around my state. People i didn't know where even out there, and I've been in the liberty movement for 12 years in Louisiana.

This online tool has major potential!

MRoCkEd
10-23-2008, 06:05 PM
This online tool has major potential!
especially with the new graphic designer and tech team getting on board to implement all these new features

MRoCkEd
10-23-2008, 06:16 PM
... and bump

frasu
10-23-2008, 07:36 PM
we need to make this big, although it will hurt our pockets:

... we are going to call out a "People Bomb" for November 5th (anniversary of the first great Money Bomb, first day of new election cycle) and will probably put the meters back in for that. Look for an announcement soon.

(taken from the response section)

torchbearer
10-23-2008, 07:37 PM

what response section?

frasu
10-23-2008, 07:43 PM
what response section?

I mean is taken from one of Adam's responses:

Adam: Of course we remember! We will be bringing the meters back. The main hurdle here is that the numbers themselves--we've raised about 140,000 Fed notes online since the site launch, and we have about 12,000 members on the new site so far. Nothing to sneeze at, but not exactly worth trumpeting. To give you a scoop, we are going to call out a "People Bomb" for November 5th (anniversary of the first great Money Bomb, first day of new election cycle) and will probably put the meters back in for that. Look for an announcement soon.

MRoCkEd
10-24-2008, 09:56 AM
we need to make this big, although it will hurt our pockets:

... we are going to call out a "People Bomb" for November 5th (anniversary of the first great Money Bomb, first day of new election cycle) and will probably put the meters back in for that. Look for an announcement soon.

cool.

dr. hfn
10-24-2008, 10:33 AM
bump

dr. hfn
10-24-2008, 10:48 AM
we must make sure all those that signed up before the new site was revelaed join up again on the new site!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DirtMcGirt
10-26-2008, 09:28 AM
new upgrades made to site today... they are making some great strides

ARealConservative
10-26-2008, 09:35 AM
It seems like something big is missing.

In the leadership training, they showed a feature where I could reconnect with people that donated to the campaign from my area but have not signed up with the C4L.

Mahkato
10-26-2008, 10:24 AM
It seems like something big is missing.

In the leadership training, they showed a feature where I could reconnect with people that donated to the campaign from my area but have not signed up with the C4L.

I think this is due to legal issues in getting the full PCC mailing list transferred over to C4L. It would also be nice to be able to somehow add people to my contacts that will likely never sign up on the campaignforliberty.com site, such as the more elderly supporters.

ARealConservative
10-26-2008, 10:35 AM
I think this is due to legal issues in getting the full PCC mailing list transferred over to C4L. It would also be nice to be able to somehow add people to my contacts that will likely never sign up on the campaignforliberty.com site, such as the more elderly supporters.

the whole contacts thing is cumbersome.

I have no way of emailing everyone in my district, even though I am district coordinator. I first must add them as contacts, then email them individually and ask them to approve the contact request.

The navigation is inefficient as well. The view all user's function is buried too deep.

You are probably right about the legality issue. I hope it is something that goes away after the election is over.

dr. hfn
10-26-2008, 10:58 AM

I have no way of emailing everyone in my district, even though I am district coordinator. I first must add them as contacts, then email them individually and ask them to approve the contact request.

The navigation is inefficient as well. The view all user's function is buried too deep.

You are probably right about the legality issue. I hope it is something that goes away after the election is over.

good points, send the Web staff an email

LittleLightShining
10-26-2008, 11:03 AM
I signed up as a Precinct Leader on Friday. I proceeded to enter all the precinct information I have, legislators and their contact info, notes, etc. I accidentally navigated away from the page and everything I had typed in (which took me about a half hour-- maybe I'm slow) was lost. This irritated me beyond description.

ARealConservative
10-26-2008, 11:10 AM
I signed up as a Precinct Leader on Friday. I proceeded to enter all the precinct information I have, legislators and their contact info, notes, etc. I accidentally navigated away from the page and everything I had typed in (which took me about a half hour-- maybe I'm slow) was lost. This irritated me beyond description.

I don't see how the developers can do much about this. Auto save's (like in word documents) isn't really realistic for a web form.

Hit submit every now and then because you can continually reedit the info you entered.

torchbearer
10-26-2008, 02:56 PM

You can email everyone in your district. I do it all the time.
It gives the option to mail everyone in your district, your county, or just on your contact list.

ARealConservative
10-26-2008, 03:36 PM
You can email everyone in your district. I do it all the time.
It gives the option to mail everyone in your district, your county, or just on your contact list.

I seem to only be able to email all the contacts in my district, or county, or all my county coordinators regardless of being in my contact list. People in my district are not automatically in my contact list though, so I have no way to email them without getting them in my contacts first.

Of course, I'm assuming when it says "all contacts in my district" that I should take that literally.

torchbearer
10-26-2008, 11:33 PM
I seem to only be able to email all the contacts in my district, or county, or all my county coordinators regardless of being in my contact list. People in my district are not automatically in my contact list though, so I have no way to email them without getting them in my contacts first.

Of course, I'm assuming when it says "all contacts in my district" that I should take that literally.

do you know how to view all the people in your district? you can add them to your contact list from there.

literatim
10-26-2008, 11:43 PM
There needs to be an option to buy literature to hand out. I also wish they would advertise the website itself, magazine, radio, and television.

ARealConservative
10-27-2008, 07:04 AM
do you know how to view all the people in your district? you can add them to your contact list from there.

Yes, I have done this.

And as I explained, they must approve being added as a contact which is a fairly hidden function.

ARealConservative
10-27-2008, 07:05 AM
There needs to be an option to buy literature to hand out. I also wish they would advertise the website itself, magazine, radio, and television.

this is coming shortly. They are working on the legality I have been told.

torchbearer
10-27-2008, 08:08 AM
Yes, I have done this.

And as I explained, they must approve being added as a contact which is a fairly hidden function.

Oh, i haven't had too much problem getting people to add.
All paying members add immediately because they actually check their account.
Do you also send a message when you try to add someone as a contact? That puts a big message at the top of the dashboard.
Maybe they can add a function that a request to add generates an automatic message to the persons inbox. That could help.

ARealConservative
10-27-2008, 08:11 AM
Oh, i haven't had too much problem getting people to add.
All paying members add immediately because they actually check their account.
Do you also send a message when you try to add someone as a contact? That puts a big message at the top of the dashboard.
Maybe they can add a function that a request to add generates an automatic message to the persons inbox. That could help.

I was finally contacted by the help system.

Apparently I am supposed to have an option to email All Members, so they are looking into it.