PDA

View Full Version : Poll Suggests U.S. Troops Support McCain 3-1

tropicangela
10-23-2008, 10:29 AM
A Military Times poll indicates landslide support for John McCain, who captures 68 percent of the military vote to Barack Obama's 23 percent.

http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/10/21/poll-troops-support-mccain/

dannno
10-23-2008, 10:30 AM
What about the ones who put their money where their mouth is?

:rolleyes:

tonesforjonesbones
10-23-2008, 10:31 AM
The troops generally vote republican. Job security. tones

libertarian4321
10-23-2008, 01:42 PM
Note that they polled readers of the Army Times, etc in an "unscientific poll".

Normally, the soldiers that subscribe to the Army Times are professional soldiers- officer and NCOs- who tend to be older and more likely to support candidates who are likely to pump big money into the military. Its far less widely read among the junior enlisted, who, btw, make up most of the military.

I would bet that if they polled all military, not just "Times" readers, they would get a much closer total (not saying Obama would win, but it would be a lot closer).

libertarian4321
10-23-2008, 01:45 PM
Another thing- the "Times" papers tend to be far more widely read among active duty soldiers than Reservists and Guardsmen. I suspect Reservists are far less likely to support ongoing actions in Iraq, and would therefore be less "McCain friendly".

This sort of poll is akin to polling senior citizens homes, find a huge bias in favor of McCain, and then claiming that McCain is more popular among Americans.

Dequeant
10-23-2008, 05:27 PM
Too bad an officer i know quite well is a hard core liberal zombie. Most of the enlisted i know (as in, all of them) seem to lean mccain.

ChickenHawk
10-23-2008, 05:31 PM
Everyone I know in the military, including several that served in Iraq, all support McCain. They also all despise Obama far more than they like McCain.

nodope0695
10-23-2008, 05:32 PM
Totally unrelyable poll. Might as well have been conducted by Frank Luntz.

lodge939
10-23-2008, 05:42 PM
their #1 issue is Character. that's an amazing contrast since economy is 55% priority one for civilians and character is down at <5%.

ClockwiseSpark
10-23-2008, 05:48 PM
their #1 issue is Character. that's an amazing contrast since economy is 55% priority one for civilians and character is down at <5%.

Oh yeah I agree, McCain is full of...oh you said character. Never mind.

lodge939
10-23-2008, 06:06 PM
Oh yeah I agree, McCain is full of...oh you said character. Never mind.his 5 1/2 years in the Hanoi Hilton is plenty of character.

Printo
10-23-2008, 08:06 PM
Didnt Obama raise more money from active military than McCain did? I know Ron Paul blew them all out of the water.

libertarian4321
10-25-2008, 12:05 AM
Everyone I know in the military, including several that served in Iraq, all support McCain. They also all despise Obama far more than they like McCain.

Well, now you know one that doesn't support McCain- ME!

McCain is wrong on the issues, wrong for America, and an utterly vile human being as well.

I don't know how many military folks you know, but it seems hard to believe that they'd "all support McCain" if its a significant number (more than 2 or 3)- a lot of military folks, especially in the Guard and Reserve, are not fond of McCain's open warmongering.

Believe it or not, most soldiers aren't fans of "war for the Hell of it"- they have no problem with war when necessary, but soldiers usually don't like stupid wars...

ClockwiseSpark
10-25-2008, 12:22 AM
his 5 1/2 years in the Hanoi Hilton is plenty of character.

Welcome to the Hanoi Hilton, I'll be your nurse Captain McCain. ;)

http://www.vietnamcupid.com/images/vietnamese_ladies.jpg

ChickenHawk
10-25-2008, 10:27 AM
Well, now you know one that doesn't support McCain- ME!

McCain is wrong on the issues, wrong for America, and an utterly vile human being as well.

I don't know how many military folks you know, but it seems hard to believe that they'd "all support McCain" if its a significant number (more than 2 or 3)- a lot of military folks, especially in the Guard and Reserve, are not fond of McCain's open warmongering.

Believe it or not, most soldiers aren't fans of "war for the Hell of it"- they have no problem with war when necessary, but soldiers usually don't like stupid wars...

I don't know lots of military folks and I'm sure there are many who don't support McCain. I do think it's absurd to consider McCain a warmonger. He is no more of a warmonger than Obama. In fact on some issues Obama is more of a "warmonger". Talking tough on foreign policy is not necessarily warmongering. Projecting strength is important to preserve peace, but have to be good at unlike GWB.

Just because a president talks about the possibility of a military attack or refuses to "take the nuclear option off the table" doesn't mean they are itching to start a war. It's important to keep an image of strength to deter your enemies. You can't talk tough and then say "well, I really really don't want to do these things and it's hard to imagine a scenario were I would". That would kinda blow your cover. Also, Americans like a president that talks tough, so the candidates are going to pander to that.

BarryDonegan
10-25-2008, 03:41 PM
its not bout job security... its about what kind of terms you go into harms way under. for a democrat president you wind up in 3 times as many wars, but they are called police actions and your not allowed to do anything to protect yourself, so its more dangerous, your pay is lower... etc. at least duringa republican admin they refer to it as a war, give better pay, and let you shoot the enemy before they shoot you.

neither is right, butif your a soldier self-interest makes you vote repub.

libertarian4321
10-25-2008, 09:50 PM
I do think it's absurd to consider McCain a warmonger. Talking tough on foreign policy is not necessarily warmongering. Projecting strength is important to preserve peace, but have to be good at unlike GWB.

First, we don't need to "project strength"- we spend more than the rest of the world combined on military expenditures. Nobody doubts we have the ability to deal out plenty of death and destruction. We don't need a President who "talks tough" every day to show how "bad ass" we are.

You don't need to deploy troops as a FIRST option- that kind of idiocy is what got us into so much trouble under Bush. McCain seems to GLEEFULLY go along with Bush.

McCain talked up the Iraq war. McCain voted for the Iraq war. McCain talks about starting more wars. McCain "jokes" about war.

You'd think McCain would know better, but apparently he doesn't.

He's a sick son of a bitch, and a sick son of a bitch with a bad temper- NOT the kind of person we need commanding the most powerful military the world has ever known.

westmich4paul
10-26-2008, 12:17 AM
well the military can kiss my ass, theywil be getting Obama if my vote has anything to say about it.