PDA

View Full Version : Peggy Noonan: "Something is going on" with Ron Paul

FluffyUnbound
09-06-2007, 10:35 PM
http://www.opinionjournal.com/columnists/pnoonan/?id=110010568

After Mr. Paul spoke, it seemed half the room booed, but the other applauded. When a thousand Republicans are in a room and one man of the eight on the stage takes a sharply minority viewpoint on a dramatic issue and half the room seems to cheer him, something's going on.

Ron Paul's support isn't based on his persona, history or perceived power. What support he has comes because of his views. As he spoke, you could hear other candidates laughing in the background. They should stop giggling, and engage in a serious way.

wgadget
09-06-2007, 10:43 PM
Oh, my gosh, I actually agree with her view of the debate. I never really liked Peggy Noonan.

She was very fair to RP, IMO.

Great article that millions will read.

Qiu
09-06-2007, 10:45 PM
Oh, my gosh, I actually agree with her view of the debate. I never really liked Peggy Noonan.

She was very fair to RP, IMO.

Great article that millions will read.
Um did you see that "honor vs. isolationism" caption? not fair in my book

Kuldebar
09-06-2007, 10:47 PM
Ron Paul's support isn't based on his persona, history or perceived power. What support he has comes because of his views. As he spoke, you could hear other candidates laughing in the background. They should stop giggling, and engage in a serious way.

It's nice quote, I do think people support Paul because of personality to at least a small degree. He is a humble man and comes across to people with a level of grace you don't see very often in people these days.

But, Noonan is essentially correct. It's the message more than the man.

wgadget
09-06-2007, 10:48 PM

Um, no...oops. Ya know, they say that someone else writes the captions...?

Heck, most Americans probably don't know what isolationism means anyway.

Kuldebar
09-06-2007, 10:49 PM

Maybe we will just have to redefine that word if we are going to "own" it.

michaelwise
09-06-2007, 10:49 PM
I don't read the Wall Street Journal, but I do recognize the name Peggy Noonan. Peggy is having the first inkling of something she can't quit put her finger on. Peggy, it's called a grass roots campaign, the likes of which, this country has never seen before in the entire history of Earth.

Perhaps we could e-mail Peggy, to give her a better clue about why Ron gets applause where ever he goes. Maybe she could be the first to break the story about the largest grass roots presidential campaign this country has ever seen.

torchbearer
09-06-2007, 10:51 PM
I don't read the Wall Street Journal, but I do recognize the name Peggy Noonan. Peggy is having the first inkling of something she can't quit put her finger on. Peggy, it's called a grass roots campaign, the likes of which, this country has never seen before in the entire history of Earth.

Perhaps we could e-mail Peggy, to give her a better clue about why Ron gets applause where ever he goes. Maybe she could be the first to break the story about the largest grass roots presidential campaign this country has ever seen.

what is her email address?

wgadget
09-06-2007, 10:58 PM
In the upper right corner there's a place to send her an email, but there's also a place to write comments. Maybe we could do both.

torchbearer
09-06-2007, 10:59 PM
In the upper right corner there's a place to send her an email, but there's also a place to write comments. Maybe we could do both.

upper right corner of what? i'm missing a website here or something.

michaelwise
09-06-2007, 11:04 PM
The only E-mail address I could find was in the contact link.
OpJournal.help@dowjones.com
I left a comment, exactly what I wrote above.

LibertyEagle
09-06-2007, 11:04 PM
Yeah, of course, she couldn't resist calling him an isolationist.

wgadget
09-06-2007, 11:05 PM
The OP has a link.

Stealth4
09-06-2007, 11:06 PM
My suggestion (take it or leave it)

Call tommorow. Dont just email.

Be very polite, focus more on the positives of his campaign than the negative spin of the MSM. The key is to be positive, RP wins through the spin because of his character. Lets emulate that.

Good idea on contacting her though. Give her an idea for a new story.

axiomata
09-06-2007, 11:09 PM
She'd be a great supporter. She had a number of good lines as Reagan's speech-writer I recall.

Corydoras
09-06-2007, 11:09 PM
http://peggynoonan.com/contact.php

Trassin
09-06-2007, 11:11 PM
Digg It (http://digg.com/2008_us_elections/Off_to_the_Races_2)

wgadget
09-06-2007, 11:12 PM
Yeah, of course, she couldn't resist calling him an isolationist.

But I think captions are written by someone other than the author, so it could be an honest mistake.

TheMikael
09-06-2007, 11:17 PM
For the most part it was a positive article. Good to see this coming from Peggy Noonan...more will start to wake up.

Corydoras
09-06-2007, 11:25 PM
I'm beginning to wonder if getting snickered at may be another big breakout moment. A lot of viewers must have immediately responded, "What's so crazy about him that they're laughing at him? That's mean! I want to hear what he's saying!"

aknappjr
09-06-2007, 11:25 PM
Darn right something is going on: a Constitutional Republican Ron Paul ReLOVEution!

yaz
09-06-2007, 11:27 PM
i thought that made ron paul look more bad than good.

microtron
09-06-2007, 11:27 PM
The caption has already changed it seems. I missed the one that started this thread but now it says "Off to the Races - Surprisingly, the Republican presidential campaign comes into focus".

fj45lvr
09-06-2007, 11:28 PM
Maybe we will just have to redefine that word if we are going to "own" it.

yeah like isolating our own sh*t and taking care of it before we move on to someone elses.

quickmike
09-07-2007, 12:27 AM
Yeah, she also wrote the "no new taxes!!!!" speech for Bush Sr.

I bet she STILL catches hell for that one even though its not really her fault

walt
09-07-2007, 12:34 AM

frequently titles and picture descriptions are not at the discrection of the writer but rather a disconnected editor - whose goal is to make more peopel read the article/caption. Blame the editor - not her please.

angelatc
09-07-2007, 08:49 AM
Then we should contact the editor. Interchanging isolationism with non-interventionism isn't a factually correct. Non-interventionism is a component of isolationism, but the free trade opinions of Congressman Paul clearly mean that he is not an isolationist.

constituent
09-07-2007, 08:55 AM
as someone said in another thread

"the cheese stands alone"

isolationism- being the cheese.

rudy.

Qiu
09-07-2007, 01:48 PM
frequently titles and picture descriptions are not at the discrection of the writer but rather a disconnected editor - whose goal is to make more peopel read the article/caption. Blame the editor - not her please.

Well I apologize as I was not aware of this practice. Still, the editor seemed to have wised up and changed the caption to a more fair "sparks fly between Huckabee and Paul."

Cowlesy
09-07-2007, 01:50 PM
Paul should fire off a loud, bombastic, sarcastic remark:

"READ MY LIPS. NO MORE TAXES."

alaric
09-07-2007, 02:09 PM
It's nice quote, I do think people support Paul because of personality to at least a small degree. He is a humble man and comes across to people with a level of grace you don't see very often in people these days.

But, Noonan is essentially correct. It's the message more than the man.

when i hear him speak, it reminds me of 'ol doc adams on gunsmoke. but ron keeps his finger out of his ear:D

richard1984
09-07-2007, 02:27 PM
It still bothers me when people (namely reporters) call Dr. Paul "Mr. Paul." He's a medical doctor, and people shouldn't overlook that fact. Not only is it disrespectful, but it also mislabels/misidentifies him and, thus, misinforms the public about who Ron Paul is.

So yeah. I hate when people don't do their research--or when they're just disrespectful.

I wish she would correct her mistake.

I tend to be a bit overprotective, though....

Kuldebar
09-07-2007, 02:48 PM
It still bothers me when people (namely reporters) call Dr. Paul "Mr. Paul." He's a medical doctor, and people shouldn't overlook that fact. Not only is it disrespectful, but it also mislabels/misidentifies him and, thus, misinforms the public about who Ron Paul is.

So yeah. I hate when people don't do their research--or when they're just disrespectful.

I wish she would correct her mistake.

I tend to be a bit overprotective, though....

OMG you are so biased!

Mr. White
09-07-2007, 02:55 PM
Doctor w actually only meant to be applied to professors.