PDA

View Full Version : Media, Polling and Elections

UtahApocalypse
10-21-2008, 11:00 PM
This topic has been covered quite a bit. I am posing a current observation though at the end.

Media controls the elections, and the polling. We all know this. There have been studies (post if you can locate them) that showed how McCain was barely in polls until after the media started to push him, after the media was on him it was then that he moved up in polls and eventually (stole) the GOP spot. This study had looked at Google Trends, and Media statistics. It was quite obvious that the media had "driven" the polling and thus election a certain direction.

So now on with my new observations.....

Over the last 3 months most every media outlet has all but been endorsing Obama while simultaneously mocking Palin and the McCain campaign. The newest polls now show Obama with almost a +10 pt lead in some polls. Most news outlets also are showing Obama with a clear victory on the electoral map. Did the media influence the decisions of the sheeple?? you bet they did.

My prediction is over the next 2 weeks they start pushing McCain again and finding some flaws with Obama to report. As the media starts this trend the polls will likely trend back to a much closer race. By election night I expect this to be almost 50/50 and as the votes come in it will be a dead heat. The media can't have a assured victory one way or the other within just a couple hours. Plan on this election becoming very close, maybe even closer then 2000. Expect many problems (hanging chads, lost votes....) that can draw this all out a few weeks. The news networks are setting up a grand show that will keep everyone glued for days.

lets watch this thread in the next few weeks and see how right I am.

UtahApocalypse
10-22-2008, 10:21 AM
bump

New York For Paul
10-23-2008, 12:01 AM
The dirty little secret many pollsters don't want people to know is that response rates to polling questions has been declining for many years. Are the people to decline to participate in a poll a self selecting group that could determine the election.

Many truckers, college students with cell phones and busy entrepreneurs have no time to answer pollster questions.

Polls are getting more inaccurate as fewer people participate.

I currently in the phone calling business and it is rough out there.

People don't want to talk and cannot be bothered to take time out answer multiple questions.