PDA

View Full Version : Mass: Voters might pass a prop. to abolish income tax...

haaaylee
10-21-2008, 10:34 PM
Free State Project Anyone?

http://www.forbes.com/opinions/forbes/2008/1027/021_2.html

Boston Tea Party II

The Massachusetts political establishment is horrified--voters might actually pass a proposition abolishing the state income tax. The personal income tax rate is 5.3%, and the state capital gains levy peaks at 12%. Under the proposition the tax would be cut 50% on Jan. 1, 2009 and eradicated on Jan. 1, 2010. These exactions currently raise about 40% of the state's budget revenue--27% if you count all of the Bay State's off-budget spending.

A similar measure was on the ballot six years ago. With almost no promotion it garnered a 45% yes vote, stunning politicians. The measure got a majority in a third of Massachusetts towns. An earlier proposition--a mild one--had appeared on the ballot in 2000. It cut the income tax to 5% from 5.75%. It passed. But state legislators thumbed their noses at the voters, lowering the rate only to 5.3%--a graphic example of the growing disconnect between citizens and the political culture.

Naturally, opponents predict the direst of circumstances if the measure passes, even though the state legislature will probably treat the referendum the same way it did the previous tax cut initiative.

The reason the measure stands even a chance of passing is not that Bay State citizens are selfish (even though each would enjoy on average an additional $3,700 of income) but that they are angry. This is an attack on political establishments there and throughout the U.S. that routinely put their own interests above those of their constituents: lavish government pensions with payouts that would bankrupt private companies; resistance to genuine reform in Medicaid spending, which has become the biggest item on virtually every state's budget; ever more pork-barrel spending; and ever more obsequiousness to rapacious special interests.

It's telling when one of the most liberal states in the Union, with two extremely liberal U.S. senators and a House delegation with nary a Republican, is on the verge of a tax rebellion.

Bay State voters--go for your proposition. Your pols didn't enact your polite initiative of a small income tax reduction. Maybe they'll wake up when you whack them with a 2-by-4.

penguin
10-21-2008, 10:53 PM
only if we get Barney Frank out!

CGeoffrion
10-21-2008, 11:28 PM
I live in MA and I'm pushing this issue as hard as I can to everyone I know. There is a crazy amount of propoganda against it, tv commercials saying towns could lose their police force, property taxes will jump, yadda yadda. Even in our local town papers journal carry regualr articles against it, and my own letter to the editor submissions get ignored.

Theres still a chance it will pass, and I def. think marijuanna decrimilization will pass no problem, it was at 70% in some polls.

But damn, I need to get out of MA, Barney Frank and most/all of our legislators are just horrible with no real chance of change.

fr33domfightr
10-21-2008, 11:41 PM
Free State Project Anyone?

http://www.forbes.com/opinions/forbes/2008/1027/021_2.html

Boston Tea Party II

The Massachusetts political establishment is horrified--voters might actually pass a proposition abolishing the state income tax. The personal income tax rate is 5.3%, and the state capital gains levy peaks at 12%. Under the proposition the tax would be cut 50% on Jan. 1, 2009 and eradicated on Jan. 1, 2010. These exactions currently raise about 40% of the state's budget revenue--27% if you count all of the Bay State's off-budget spending.

A similar measure was on the ballot six years ago. With almost no promotion it garnered a 45% yes vote, stunning politicians. The measure got a majority in a third of Massachusetts towns. An earlier proposition--a mild one--had appeared on the ballot in 2000. It cut the income tax to 5% from 5.75%. It passed. But state legislators thumbed their noses at the voters, lowering the rate only to 5.3%--a graphic example of the growing disconnect between citizens and the political culture.

Naturally, opponents predict the direst of circumstances if the measure passes, even though the state legislature will probably treat the referendum the same way it did the previous tax cut initiative.

The reason the measure stands even a chance of passing is not that Bay State citizens are selfish (even though each would enjoy on average an additional $3,700 of income) but that they are angry. This is an attack on political establishments there and throughout the U.S. that routinely put their own interests above those of their constituents: lavish government pensions with payouts that would bankrupt private companies; resistance to genuine reform in Medicaid spending, which has become the biggest item on virtually every state's budget; ever more pork-barrel spending; and ever more obsequiousness to rapacious special interests.

It's telling when one of the most liberal states in the Union, with two extremely liberal U.S. senators and a House delegation with nary a Republican, is on the verge of a tax rebellion.

Bay State voters--go for your proposition. Your pols didn't enact your polite initiative of a small income tax reduction. Maybe they'll wake up when you whack them with a 2-by-4.

I've got to say this is the craziest bad @ss thing I've heard in years!!

I would say it doesn't really matter WHAT happens. People feel their representatives are ignoring them. It sounds like this will GET THEIR ATTENTION!

Good for you, Massachusetts, go kick some @ss!!

After this passes, then see if those elected aholes come a knockin' asking what they should do!! You see, they'll have to ask what YOU want them to do, just as it's supposed to be.

FF

Knightskye
10-22-2008, 02:53 AM
2x4 ought to do the job. :D

Wonder if my brother will vote for that. He goes to college up there.

Aratus
10-24-2008, 09:03 AM
this was also on the ballot in 2oo2!!! it MIGHT pass... and deval patrick has spoken out against it...

porcupine
11-01-2008, 08:58 PM
But damn, I need to get out of MA, Barney Frank and most/all of our legislators are just horrible with no real chance of change.

Join the Free State Project and come on up!

roho76
11-01-2008, 09:28 PM
My wife's mom is voting Yes. I helped her on that one. She also shocks her dog with a collar. She just might be an Authoritarian. Don't worry I'm working on her. I use the absurd angle.

Athan
11-01-2008, 10:43 PM
Go Massachusetts!! Win one for America!!

penguin
11-01-2008, 10:57 PM
only if we get Barney Frank out!
We are going to do that for the rest of you. Sholley is a f4j guy and a good man.