PDA

View Full Version : Brilliant Barack Obama Supporters! Very Funny!

rational thinker
10-21-2008, 01:34 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCcHzUmVP5c&feature=related

socialize_me
10-21-2008, 01:45 PM
What's scary is that if you ask anyone on the street what form of government we have: A democracy or a republic, 98% would say a democracy, and damn near all of them would say there's no difference between the two.

nodope0695
10-21-2008, 01:53 PM
Go to any trailor park in the south, and the whites would have the same kind of answers....lets be fair.

durden0
10-21-2008, 01:54 PM
What's scary is that if you ask anyone on the street what form of government we have: A democracy or a republic, 98% would say a democracy, and damn near all of them would say there's no difference between the two.

+1

That underlines the overall problem. People have little to no understanding of what government is, what it's function should be, and what happens when it gets too much power.

This video illustrates they don't even know what's going on currently, much less what happened hundreds of years ago.

nodope0695
10-21-2008, 01:54 PM

Yep, sad but true.

jkm1864
10-21-2008, 03:05 PM
Trailer park ..... What about any suburb in America and You will find people just like this.

yongrel
10-21-2008, 03:12 PM

Democracy and Republic are both right answers. Democracy is an umbrella term that encompasses both republicanism (indirect democracy) and popular rule (direct democracy).

Dequeant
10-21-2008, 03:39 PM
Go to any trailor park in the south, and the whites would have the same kind of answers....lets be fair.

Sorry to break this assumption, but you're wrong. Most simply because of Sarah Palin being a smoking hot gun rights supporter and VP. They all know her. This from a guy originally from Mississippi.

heavenlyboy34
10-21-2008, 03:50 PM
Democracy and Republic are both right answers. Democracy is an umbrella term that encompasses both republicanism (indirect democracy) and popular rule (direct democracy).

I would say Democracy is the wrong answer. None of the founders (that I know of) advocated pure democracy-in fact, they wrote in favor of a republic in the Federalist Papers and in various speeches and the like.

"At the close of the Constitutional Convention in Philadelphia on September 18, 1787, a Mrs. Powel anxiously awaited the results, and as Benjamin Franklin emerged from the long task now finished, asked him directly: "Well Doctor, what have we got, a republic or a monarchy?" "A republic if you can keep it" responded Franklin." (http://www.house.gov/paul/congrec/congrec2000/cr020200.htm)

Knightskye
10-21-2008, 03:54 PM
Holy crap. They don't even know who Obama's VP is.

Ron Paul supporters know Ron Paul's positions.

Mattsa
10-21-2008, 04:04 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCcHzUmVP5c&feature=related

The worst enemy of freedom and liberty is the ignorance of the people

If people think Sarah Palin is Obama's running mate.......................Or Biden is McCain's running mate

America is in deep trouble folks

yongrel
10-21-2008, 04:04 PM
I would say Democracy is the wrong answer. None of the founders (that I know of) advocated pure democracy-in fact, they wrote in favor of a republic in the Federalist Papers and in various speeches and the like.

"At the close of the Constitutional Convention in Philadelphia on September 18, 1787, a Mrs. Powel anxiously awaited the results, and as Benjamin Franklin emerged from the long task now finished, asked him directly: "Well Doctor, what have we got, a republic or a monarchy?" "A republic if you can keep it" responded Franklin." (http://www.house.gov/paul/congrec/congrec2000/cr020200.htm)

Well, a republic is a kind of democracy. Republic is a more specific term, but both can refer to the same thing. All squares are rectangles, but not all rectangles are squares. Same concept.

Knightskye
10-22-2008, 12:20 AM
The worst enemy of freedom and liberty is the ignorance of the people

If people think Sarah Palin is Obama's running mate.......................Or Biden is McCain's running mate

America is in deep trouble folks

What would be funny, though, is if you ask the same questions to someone coming out of an Obama rally, holding one of those "Obama-Biden" signs. :D

That would be a sight to see.

nodope0695
10-22-2008, 12:39 AM
Well, a republic is a kind of democracy. Republic is a more specific term, but both can refer to the same thing. All squares are rectangles, but not all rectangles are squares. Same concept.

I'd call our system a "Democratic Republic." But definately NOT a pure democracy...but the way it seems today, it couldn't even be called that. The pukes in the Congress do what they want regardless of what their consistuents demand:mad:.

kojirodensetsu
10-22-2008, 12:40 AM
I agree with yongrel that a republic stems from the ideology of democracy.

But I think the question "are we a republic or democracy" insinuates that the democracy in question is a direct democracy. Which might be an unfair question though because people might not be familiar with what a direct democracy is. But then smart people should know what a direct democracy is so maybe it's not such an unfair question after all.

nodope0695
10-22-2008, 12:46 AM
I agree with yongrel that a republic stems from the ideology of democracy.

But I think the question "are we a republic or democracy" insinuates that the democracy in question is a direct democracy. Which might be an unfair question though because people might not be familiar with what a direct democracy is. But then smart people should know what a direct democracy is so maybe it's not such an unfair question after all.

We have elements of both. Our National government is a Republican form of government in that it is made up of elected officials to handle the business of the nation...and the people are heard through elected representative and senators.

Democracy comes in where the election of people is concerned...majority rules in that case (except for POTUS). Also, certain measures and propositions are passed in this way, by a vote from the people.

But I'd not consider our nation a pure, direct, democracy. It is a Representative Republic. Only in recent times has it been referrd to as a democracy, and as a result, the word's true meaning has been lost. As "gay" used to mean happy, but now is synomimous with homosexuals, "democracy" has come to mean republic.

Democracy is majority rule, at the expense of the minority, and tends to not respect the rights of the individual. In a republic, the minority is protected from the tyranny of the majority through checks, balances, and representative government. A republic fosters and repects the rights of the individual.

Those are just the therories. We all know that today, our nation is not run by either method. Seems more like an autocracy, with the single ruler being the Government itself.

LibertyEagle
10-22-2008, 12:58 AM

Nope.

We were founded as a REPUBLIC; not a Democracy.

Mini-Me
10-22-2008, 01:03 AM
Nope.

We were founded as a REPUBLIC; not a Democracy.

A Democratic Republic, perhaps? ;)

nodope0695
10-22-2008, 01:06 AM
A Democratic Republic, perhaps? ;)

Our leaders are elected by popular vote, are they not? State ballot measures are voted on and won or lost by popular vote...so while we were indeed established as a republic, there are elements of democracy....however, we do live in a Representative Republic, not a democracy.

LibertyEagle
10-22-2008, 01:11 AM
http://www.serendipity.li/jsmill/welch.html

ronpaulhawaii
10-22-2008, 01:13 AM
A republic with democratic processes

nodope0695
10-22-2008, 01:55 AM
http://www.serendipity.li/jsmill/welch.html

That is some good stuff...glad I was on the right track with my replies above..