PDA

View Full Version : Penn Jillette Says: Overpaying Your Taxes

mport1
10-21-2008, 12:36 AM
Great video from Penn Jillette, a libertarian. I think he brings up a very good point that could be used as an effective argument against statists. He basically says that if these people think government is so great and that it should be bigger and more involved in our lives, why do they not give extra money in taxes? Seems like it would be an effective use of money for these people. If they really believe big government is of benefit to society, they should practice what they preach and give them a bonus.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6my8orsJBdw

DamianTV
10-21-2008, 03:41 AM
Well first problem is where to pay those taxes. It shouldnt be ones Federal Income Tax as many sources of conspiracy (*which may or may not be accurate, for sake of argument I'll say its true) information indicaces that all the money that is taken from your paycheck for Federal Income Tax goes to the US Government, it all goes directly to the Federal Reserve to pay the interest on... well I wont get into that. But if you DO want more services from bigger government, overpay your Property Taxes or some other tax, not your Income Tax. Income Tax doesnt pay one cent for any of our civil services.

Kludge
10-21-2008, 03:47 AM
I once saw a link to pay directly into the treasury department... Can't find it ATM.

Kludge
10-21-2008, 03:51 AM
Found it!

http://www.treasurydirect.gov/govt/resources/faq/faq_publicdebt.htm#DebtFinance

How do you make a contribution to reduce the debt?
Make your check payable to the Bureau of the Public Debt, and in the memo section, notate that it is a Gift to reduce the Debt Held by the Public. Mail your check to:

Attn Dept G
Bureau Of the Public Debt
P. O. Box 2188
Parkersburg, WV 26106-2188

FindLiberty
10-21-2008, 03:54 AM
PAY FOR USE ONLY - end all tax withholding!

Just pay up as you need/want/use gubermint. That'll make government smaller in a big hurry.

Or, send extra $ as a gift if you really like the "service" (never call it a tip 'cause then it would be taxable).

Matt Collins
10-21-2008, 09:12 AM
There is an actual official U.S. government department that accepts donations from citizens who are grateful to the State for the senseless wars, infringements of civil liberties, torture, secret prisons, inflation, victimless crime laws, failing government schools and other vital and necessary services it provides.

Here is the address:

Gifts to the United States
U.S. Department of the Treasury
Credit Accounting Branch
3700 East-West Highway, Room 6D37
Hyattsville, MD 20782

There you have it. No one who feels undertaxed need endure that awful situation a moment longer.

Indeed, each year a small number of citizens do in fact send in donations. Since 1982, the Treasury has received 16,074 contributions for a cumulative $9.8 million, according to Americans for Tax Reform. (That figure a lot closer to our view of the proper funding for government than today's monstrous budgets. But call us radical.)

Source:
http://www.theadvocates.org/publications/liberator-online.html

FindLiberty
10-21-2008, 09:15 AM
Do they only take cash?

NO, better not go there...

Send them a shiny new penny and ask for a receipt.

mport1
10-21-2008, 09:26 AM
Do they only take cash?

NO, better not go there...

Send them a shiny new penny and ask for a receipt.

Haha, that would be awesome if a ton of us did that.

Kludge
10-21-2008, 01:12 PM
Since 1982, the Treasury has received 16,074 contributions for a cumulative $9.8 million, according to Americans for Tax Reform.

Well... 14 of those came from Dr. Paul.