PDA

View Full Version : Canada says BPA toxic, to ban baby bottles with it

speech
10-20-2008, 03:58 AM
TORONTO - Canada declared a chemical widely used in food packaging a toxic substance on Saturday and will now move to ban plastic baby bottles containing bisphenol A.

The toxic classification, issued in the Canada Gazette, makes Canada the first country to classify the chemical commonly used in the lining of food cans, eyeglass lenses and hundreds of household items, as risky.

"Many Canadians...have expressed their concern to me about the risks of bisphenol A in baby bottles," Environment Minister John Baird said in a statement. "Today's confirmation of our ban on BPA in baby bottles proves that our government did the right thing in taking action to protect the health and environment for all Canadians."

Canada's announcement came six months after its health ministry labeled BPA as dangerous. Health Minister Tony Clement said a report on bisphenol A has found the chemical endangers people, particularly newborns and infants, and the environment, citing concerns that the chemical in polycarbonate products and epoxy linings can migrate into food and beverages.

Baby bottles frequently contain BPA, used to harden plastic and make it shatterproof.

Several U.S. states are considering restricting BPA use, some manufacturers have begun promoting BPA-free baby bottles, and some stores are phasing out baby products containing the chemical. Wal-Mart Canada and other major retailers in Canada in recent months have begun removing BPA-based food-related products such as baby bottles and sipping cups from store shelves.
http://buzz.yahoo.com/article/1:cbs13595:b12deeaa35281ea1426d039d7ef2ac77

angelatc
10-20-2008, 08:40 AM
Notice that the "evil that is Wal-Mart" has already removed it.

Those bastards.

micahnelson
10-20-2008, 08:44 AM
Notice that the "evil that is Wal-Mart" has already removed it.

Those bastards.

Man. You really love walmart =)

My wife and I have used glass bottles thus far and they seem to work well enough. I'm all for science, but people always pay a price for early adoption. You may get to use the technology first, but sometimes its not quite what its cracked up to be.

lucius
10-20-2008, 11:02 AM
Bisphenol A (BPA) is in dental fillings as well.

I have a friend who is an exceptional dentist with almost four decades of experience, who is "committed to the public’s oral health...strongly support additional research into human exposure to BPA and any health effects it may cause" as well.

This is not a recommendation in any sort of a way, mere observation on my part, a layperson.

What you may want to replace your fillings with is almost a 'lost art', most durable dental appliance in existence--cast gold inlays. I may spend the extra money for gold in my children's dentistry.

Here is the ADA informing their 'flock':

ADA Positions & Statements

Bisphenol A and Dental Sealants, Composite Dental Fillings

http://www.ada.org/prof/resources/positions/statements/bisphenola.asp

CHICAGO (May 12, 2008)—Bisphenol A (BPA) is widely used in the manufacture of many consumer plastic products. Laboratory testing has suggested that BPA may affect reproduction and development in animals (by mimicking the effects of the female hormone estrogen), raising concerns about its safety. To date, these effects have not been observed in humans.

The food industry uses BPA when manufacturing the epoxy resins that coat cans and polycarbonate bottles intended to hold foods and beverages. Bisphenol A also is found in some children’s toys, plastic tableware and infant bottles. The release of industrial and household wastes into the environment also exposes humans to BPA. Too, there is evidence that some dental sealants, and to a lesser extent dental composites, may contribute to low-level BPA exposure.
The ADA looks to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) to provide scientific guidance on issues that affect the health of Americans. The Association also looks to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for advice and recommendations on dental product safety.

The HHS in 2007 stated that, “Dental sealant exposure to bisphenol A occurs primarily with use of dental sealants [containing] bisphenol A dimethacrylate. This exposure is considered an acute and infrequent event with little relevance to estimating general population exposures.”1

This year the FDA released the following statement, “Based on our ongoing review, we believe there is a large body of evidence that indicates that FDA-regulated products containing BPA currently on the market are safe and that exposure levels to BPA from food contact materials, including for infants and children, are below those that may cause health effects. However, we will continue to consider new research and information as they become available.”2

The ADA believes any concern about potential BPA exposure from dental composites or sealants is unwarranted at this time. When compared with all other sources of BPA, these dental materials pose significantly lower exposure concerns. The presence of a substance, whether in the environment, human blood or urine samples, does not mean it’s necessarily harmful to human health. That would typically depend on how much of the substance we are exposed to. Almost any substance can have a harmful effect at high doses—even water and vitamins.

The ADA is a professional association of dentists who remain committed to the public’s oral health. As such, we strongly support additional research into human exposure to BPA and any health effects it may cause.

Footnotes

1Center for the Evaluation of Risks to Human Reproduction. National Toxicology Program U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. NTP-CERHR Expert Panel Report on the Reproductive and Developmental Toxicity of Bisphenol A. November 26, 2007. (http://cerhr.niehs.nih.gov/chemicals/bisphenol/BPAFinalEPVF112607.pdf accessed November 30, 2007)

2U.S. Food and Drug Administration. Biphenol A (BPA). (http://www.fda.gov/oc/opacom/hottopics/bpa.html accessed April 30, 2008)

About the American Dental Association
The not-for-profit ADA is the nation's largest dental association, representing more than 155,000 dentist members. The premier source of oral health information, the ADA has advocated for the public's health and promoted the art and science of dentistry since 1859. The ADA's state-of-the-art research facilities develop and test dental products and materials that have advanced the practice of dentistry and made the patient experience more positive. The ADA Seal of Acceptance long has been a valuable and respected guide to consumer and professional products.

Contact Information
Telephone: 312-440-2806
E-mail: mediarelations@ada.org (Journalists) or Contact ADA (All Others)
Page Posted: December 17, 2007

FountainDew
11-10-2008, 10:08 PM
As a Canadian, let me first say I hate Tony Clement. He owns 25% share in a pharmaceutical company and is a complete sell-out. I wish I could say that his opinion does not reflect the opinion of Canadians but unfortunately we have this douchebag as health minister.

This is the same guy who thinks people eating ginseng are at health risk and should be fined $250,000 for treating their own body that way. Good thing we got back at him by writting a Charter of Health Freedom to shut that Nut Chucker up.

steve005
11-10-2008, 11:40 PM
gold(or silver) in teeth for fillings, I like the idea