PDA

View Full Version : How do candidates gain ballot access?

jclay2
10-19-2008, 05:43 PM
Ok, I need help from anyone whose got something to say. I am doing a speech on ballot access and in particular the presidential election. Does anyone know a good source for finding the difficulties with gaining ballot access in individual states? I am from Illinois, so any relevant information from Illinois would be great.

nate895
10-19-2008, 05:44 PM
Ok, I need help from anyone whose got something to say. I am doing a speech on ballot access and in particular the presidential election. Does anyone know a good source for finding the difficulties with gaining ballot access in individual states? I am from Illinois, so any relevant information from Illinois would be great.

Go to the Illinois (or any other state's) Secretary of State website. It is usually easy to find in the elections section.

torchbearer
10-19-2008, 05:45 PM

The SECRETARY OF STATE of each state usually is over elections, and its on their website.
It is completely different for each state.

Louisiana is the easiest state to get on as a presidential candidate.

$500, plus 9 electors. One from each congressional district (7), and two at-large.
or- you can do a petition. but no one does the petition.

TastyWheat
10-19-2008, 08:24 PM
I think it is typical (for the two main parties) to just pay a registration fee to get on the ballot. I think it has to do with the fact they're such big organizations. I think every party should have to do petitions. If you're a big party it shouldn't be hard anyway.

Austin
10-19-2008, 08:31 PM
The SECRETARY OF STATE of each state usually is over elections, and its on their website.
It is completely different for each state.

Louisiana is the easiest state to get on as a presidential candidate.

$500, plus 9 electors. One from each congressional district (7), and two at-large.
or- you can do a petition. but no one does the petition.

Can you expand on the 'electors' part of that?

torchbearer
10-19-2008, 09:16 PM
Can you expand on the 'electors' part of that?

In Louisiana, Each elector applies as the candidate on the ballot.
After all, you are not voting on a president. You are voting on a slate of electors.
So, in louisiana, 9 electors (7 for our representives, 2 for our senate), qualify for the ballot... to be voted on under the name of a presidential ballot they support.

That is why writing in the name Ron Paul on your ballot should not count.
It is unconstitutional for person to directly vote on a president or VP.

The state has allowed you to vote on its presidential electors.
The people the state will send to vote in the electoral college for president of the united states.

And even though a certain candidates slate wins, no elector is bound to vote for anyone.
That elector can even vote for someone who wasn't even on the ballot.

We are electing Electors on Nov. 4th, we are not electing a president.