PDA

View Full Version : Media/society hatred for low carb diets

nbhadja
10-19-2008, 12:34 AM
Is it just influenced by the media and the government?

I used to believe the low carb diet was ridiculous and I believed all the "experts" on TV who said a high carb low fat diet was the best and a low carb diet would destroy your health. But lately I have been cutting down my carbs and have gotten into even better shape. Carbs always seemed to make me gain a little weight.

Reading the article "What if it's all been a big fat lie" http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9F04E2D61F3EF934A35754C0A9649C8B 63&sec=&spon=&pagewanted=1 (no he is not a NYT writer or any type of MSM media pawn so don't worry), the similarities hit me.

If the members of the American medical establishment were to have a collective find-yourself-standing-naked-in-Times-Square-type nightmare, this might be it. They spend 30 years ridiculing Robert Atkins, author of the phenomenally-best-selling ''Dr. Atkins' Diet Revolution'' and ''Dr. Atkins' New Diet Revolution,'' accusing the Manhattan doctor of quackery and fraud, only to discover that the unrepentant Atkins was right all along. Or maybe it's this: they find that their very own dietary recommendations -- eat less fat and more carbohydrates -- are the cause of the rampaging epidemic of obesity in America.

. The A.M.A. attacked Atkins's diet as a ''bizarre regimen'' that advocated ''an unlimited intake of saturated fats and cholesterol-rich foods,'' and Atkins even had to defend his diet in Congressional hearings.

On the one hand, we've been told with almost religious certainty by everyone from the surgeon general on down, and we have come to believe with almost religious certainty, that obesity is caused by the excessive consumption of fat, and that if we eat less fat we will lose weight and live longer.

Now a small but growing minority of establishment researchers have come to take seriously what the low-carb-diet doctors have been saying all along. Walter Willett, chairman of the department of nutrition at the Harvard School of Public Health, may be the most visible proponent of testing this heretic hypothesis. Willett is the de facto spokesman of the longest-running, most comprehensive diet and health studies ever performed, which have already cost upward of $100 million and include data on nearly 300,000 individuals. Those data, says Willett, clearly contradict the low-fat-is-good-health message ''

According to Katherine Flegal, an epidemiologist at the National Center for Health Statistics, the percentage of obese Americans stayed relatively constant through the 1960's and 1970's at 13 percent to 14 percent and then shot up by 8 percentage points in the 1980's. By the end of that decade, nearly one in four Americans was obese. That steep rise, which is consistent through all segments of American society and which continued unabated through the 1990's, is the singular feature of the epidemic. Any theory that tries to explain obesity in America has to account for that. Meanwhile, overweight children nearly tripled in number. And for the first time, physicians began diagnosing Type 2 diabetes in adolescents. Type 2 diabetes often accompanies obesity. It used to be called adult-onset diabetes and now, for the obvious reason, is not.

Fast-food consumption, for example, continued to grow steadily through the 70's and 80's, but it did not take a sudden leap, as obesity did.

Sounds pretty similar :D.

But anyways, when has the government ever gotten it right and told the truth with no lobbyist influence? In pretty much all the fields the government is lying and harming the people. America has been very obese since the high carb diet was recommended in the early 80s.

Orgoonian
10-19-2008, 12:56 AM
Complex carbs are good for you.
Just stay away from simple carbs,and all is good.People get fat because they dont,eat frequently enough,and when they do eat,they eat crap.

josephadel_3
10-19-2008, 01:05 AM
who cares. just eat food and stay active.

nbhadja
10-19-2008, 01:05 AM
Complex carbs are good for you.
Just stay away from simple carbs,and all is good.People get fat because they dont,eat frequently enough,and when they do eat,they eat crap.

The AMA sure seems to push complex carbs a lot.....
They address that and say complex carbs are not good either. We did afterall evolve to not eat carbs other than the ones found in some fruits etc.

NewEnd
10-19-2008, 01:08 AM
who cares. Just eat food and stay active.

ftw

People have been eating carbs for millenia as a staple.

Orgoonian
10-19-2008, 01:18 AM
The AMA sure seems to push complex carbs a lot.....
They address that and say complex carbs are not good either. We did afterall evolve to not eat carbs other than the ones found in some fruits etc.

We need the complex carbs for energy,fiber,and nutritional needs.
Man was designed to eat whole grains,veggies,and meat.Just about everything you see in a store is loaded with crap.Processed food,and simple carbs,along with not eating frequently enough is the major cause for fat gain in most Americans.

I make my living from making fat people lean,or muscular.
Most of the time,i have my clients eating 40-45% complex carbs to lose fat.If cutting down for a competition,i do reduce the percentage.

Exchanging carbs,for fat,is only a short term solution.To keep fat off,balanced meal plan,eating anywhere from 5 to 8 times a day,depending on the persons genetic makeup.

cska80
10-19-2008, 06:02 AM
All diets work. Low carb diets cause you to feel like crap with no energy. All in all, eat 5 meals a day (not BK!), drink lots of water, and exercise!

phixion
10-19-2008, 06:25 AM
It's all about consumption and wealth. The more people earn, the more they spend. Everyone can afford to over consume food these days. It's that simple.

Back in the old days, only the wealthy were fat and being 'obese' was a sign of wealth and status.

Now everyone can afford to consume lots of food, and no-one knows a damn clue what their own calorie maintenance level is - the exact amount of calories they need to consume each day to maintain their current weight. From there they can lose fat, gain fat or stay at their current level. The figure changes constantly depending on lifestyle changes and activity.

If I ate the recommended 2,500 calories per day for an adult male, I would begin to pile on the pounds at a rate of around 1lb per week, regardless of whether the energy is coming from carbs, fats or protein. It's all about the calories.

There's far too much nonsense out there on losing weight. It's not rocket science and it's pretty basic.

Pete

Nate K
10-19-2008, 07:28 AM
www.westonaprice.org

Guess what else is good.. fat.

PatriotOne
10-19-2008, 08:24 AM
Testament from an actual low carb dieter:

When I began a job that most of my day was spent sitting behind a computor all day, I began to gain weight and went on a low fat diet. I mean almost no fat as in less than 10 grams a day. By the end of the year, I continually gained weight even though my calorie consumption was low and my fat consumption was nearly nil. I packed on almost 30 pounds. Then I saw a commercial for the Atkins diet (low carb). I thought it ridiculous also as it went against just about everything the so-called experts said. I decided to try the 2 week induction anyways because obviously the low fat plan was garbage unless I found time to do some major exercise and that was impossible as I had no time at that point in my life.

I could not of been more surprised how quickly the weight was disappearing in the first two weeks doing the Atkins induction plan. Holy shit! The first two weeks isn't easy as you do feel a bit lethargic and you do crave carbs. However, that was only about two weeks. After that, I felt GREAT. High energy, no carb cravings, and was losing weight so fast I couldn't believe it. After nearly 1.5 yrs of almost no carb/low carb eating, I had to go in for my required employee health check up. I had the blood pressure and cholesteral count of a 10 yr old. My stats could not of been better and I was the epitomy of health.

I have had many friends do the low carb diet with great success. If a person can get past the first 2 weeks, they won't be disappointed. The Atkins plan works great.

MsDoodahs
10-19-2008, 10:11 AM
I feel bad for insulin dependent diabetics.

The ADA is so full of shit.

nbhadja
10-19-2008, 12:48 PM
The Harvard researched mentions that the big milk, big beef, big grain, big rice etc industries influence the food pyramid unethically.

Plus when a farmer wants to fatten up his animals, he feeds them grain.

Atkins is not temporary, the people who lose weight with it gain weight back from gorging themselves on carbs. You are not supposed to do that, it slowly introduces a little bit of clean carbs like beans.