PDA

View Full Version : How many of you have loans?

ItsTime
10-18-2008, 09:13 PM
You want to end the fed, then get serious DEBT FREE.

Kludge
10-18-2008, 09:19 PM
Not yet, but I will within a year.

Micah Dardar
10-18-2008, 09:33 PM
If the government goes bankrupt, will my student loans disappear?

constitutional
10-18-2008, 09:35 PM
You want to end the fed, then get serious DEBT FREE.

You really think we can make a big difference that way?

Kludge
10-18-2008, 09:35 PM
If the government goes bankrupt, will my student loans disappear?

No. They don't disappear even if YOU go bankrupt.

No1ButPaul08
10-18-2008, 09:37 PM
broke and debt free

better than "rich" and debt-ridden

ItsTime
10-18-2008, 09:39 PM
You really think we can make a big difference that way?

Might as well vote McCain then. Your vote means nothing.

eredeath
10-18-2008, 10:11 PM
char

EvilEngineer
10-18-2008, 10:54 PM
sadly... in debt up to my eyeballs. Thanks parents for making me take out 60 grand for my "education" on how to be a worker bee.

heavenlyboy34
10-18-2008, 11:00 PM
sadly... in debt up to my eyeballs. Thanks parents for making me take out 60 grand for my "education" on how to be a worker bee.

I'm in the same situation. :(:eek: ...except I majored in art, so I didn't get fed too much statist propaganda. :)

yongrel
10-18-2008, 11:02 PM
AU costs $47,500 per year. I think it's safe to say I have some loans out.

MikeStanart
10-18-2008, 11:30 PM
AU costs $47,500 per year. I think it's safe to say I have some loans out.

Ah, having troubles with the fishing gig?

yongrel
10-18-2008, 11:32 PM
Ah, having troubles with the fishing gig?

My 300 levels take some serious time away from King crab season.

Bigvick
10-18-2008, 11:36 PM
I have never taken out a loan in my life...

I have a credit card I use only to raise my credit score and nothing else.

House is paid off, car is paid off, boat is paid off :D and I'm only 28

Debt free is good!

Lovecraftian4Paul
10-19-2008, 12:37 AM
Like many other people here, I have some student loan debt left to get rid of. Luckily, it's been whittled down to just a few thousand. I think it's near impossible today to get an education without thousands of dollars of debt. Every college student should have a firm understanding of inflation based on what happens to tuition going up 5-10% every single year at a good many major institutions.

josephadel_3
10-19-2008, 12:57 AM
Impossible to pay for school without it thanks to the federal government.

raiha
10-19-2008, 01:56 AM
I'm paying it as fast as i can.....

bojo68
10-19-2008, 02:19 AM

Debt free is good!

Me too. You drive a 47 Hudson too?

Actually I drive better stuff than that, I've got 2 cars, one cost 205$ on Ebay and I had to take a bus 170 miles to go get it. The other I paid 250$ for, and had to drive it 50 miles home with no brakes, but it worked, and both got over 25mpg. 280zx & Lincoln Mark viii.

Scribbler de Stebbing
10-19-2008, 06:54 AM
Why? I'm going to get to pay back my mortgage with worthless dollars.

Truth Warrior
10-19-2008, 07:10 AM
SIR JOSIAH STAMP, (President of the Bank of England in the 1920's, the second richest man in Britain)

"Banking was conceived in iniquity, and was born in sin. The Bankers own the Earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create deposits, and with the flick of the pen, they will create enough deposits, to buy it back again. However, take it away from them, and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear, and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But if you wish to remain the slaves of Bankers, and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create deposits."

"The issue which has swept down the centuries and which will have to be fought sooner or later is the people versus the banks." -- Lord Acton

ghengis86
10-19-2008, 07:20 AM
I'm making extra payments on the forecolosed home I bought last year. Likewise with student loans (and yes, student loans are the ONLY debt you cannt get rid of through bankruptcy). my wife's car will be paid off this year and my sister is giving me her old Kia. no credit card debt, ever.

yes, getting debt free is paramount in my mind, but I can only do so much!

OKRonPaul
10-19-2008, 07:41 AM
My only loan is a 5yr 401k loan I took out so I could pay cash for my house. It feels really good to not have all the debt I had before hanging over my head.

werdd
10-19-2008, 07:45 AM

Debt free is good!

How did you get a credit card to begin with?? Im planning on being you, but i can't even get a credit card right now for that purpouse. Not even the shittiest rate card on the market.

I have paid back a 2 thousand dollar student mistake loan, and they still deny me on 27% APR credit cards.

Might have to take out some more loans to even get a damn card, to build up my credit. Sad system, that makes no sense...

klamath
10-19-2008, 08:35 AM
Zero debt here. I didn't have a credit card until I was in my 30's but with todays society you can't do a lot of things unless you have a credit card. Drive a rental car, rent a hotel room, ETC.
Now I pay for everything on credit cards. Nice to have them pay you 2 or 3 hundred dollars a year for the right to loan me money. God they must hate me!

klamath
10-19-2008, 08:37 AM
How did you get a credit card to begin with?? Im planning on being you, but i can't even get a credit card right now for that purpouse. Not even the shittiest rate card on the market.

I have paid back a 2 thousand dollar student mistake loan, and they still deny me on 27% APR credit cards.

Might have to take out some more loans to even get a damn card, to build up my credit. Sad system, that makes no sense...

I married a girl that had credit and she added me to her credit card. Not saying this is a reason to get married though:D

Scribbler de Stebbing
10-19-2008, 09:38 AM
How did you get a credit card to begin with?? I'm planning on being you, but i can't even get a credit card right now for that purpose. Not even the shittiest rate card on the market.

Many years ago when I didn't have any credit cards, I got an offer for a secured card. So I sent them the $300, which was my credit line, and took care to pay it on time each month. Today, I always pay my cards in full each month.

Kludge
10-19-2008, 10:25 AM
Impossible to pay for school without it thanks to the federal government.

I'm very lucky to have one of the best community colleges in the nation a town away from me. Its credits transfer to just about any school in the state and costs less than $3,000/year. The college for my last two years is only $28,500/year dorm included.

So, only going to be paying ~$63,000 total for my entire education majoring in history and possibly minoring in PoliSci or Spanish (Unsure which yet since there's so much demand for Spanish but I can't seem to get some of the tenses down.).

I'm getting ~$7,500 in student aid, and my parent was nice enough to put $10,000 in. I'm already making ~$10,000 in small jobs this year and will probably take a job as a cart pusher or clerk in college (~$20,000 after taxes). That leaves me with ~$44,500 surplus for food and gas (books were already included).

mediahasyou
10-19-2008, 10:27 AM
Please move all savings to banks that have not used bailout cash.

Matt Collins
10-19-2008, 10:31 AM
Yeah I've got a student loan and a truck loan. Every spare dollar I have is going to pay these two things off.

satchelmcqueen
10-19-2008, 01:01 PM
$3750 left on a jeep payment and im debt free. 2 more months i hope and im good.

josephadel_3
10-19-2008, 07:47 PM
I'm very lucky to have one of the best community colleges in the nation a town away from me. Its credits transfer to just about any school in the state and costs less than $3,000/year. The college for my last two years is only $28,500/year dorm included.

So, only going to be paying ~$63,000 total for my entire education majoring in history and possibly minoring in PoliSci or Spanish (Unsure which yet since there's so much demand for Spanish but I can't seem to get some of the tenses down.).

I'm getting ~$7,500 in student aid, and my parent was nice enough to put $10,000 in. I'm already making ~$10,000 in small jobs this year and will probably take a job as a cart pusher or clerk in college (~$20,000 after taxes). That leaves me with ~$44,500 surplus for food and gas (books were already included).

Currently, I've only got $1750 in loans for this semester. Next semester I will have more. I did a year at a CC too. Maine instate tuition at most UM campuses is about
$230/credit hour.

Pauls' Revere
10-19-2008, 09:10 PM
Yes, but at least NOT to credit card companies. Got to pick your battles.

enjerth
10-20-2008, 08:52 AM
Deposits empower banks. Not being in debt to them is a good thing, but even better is when they don't have your money to loan to other people.