PDA

View Full Version : White House Won’t Extend Jobless Benefits, Says People Should Just Find A Job»

speech
10-17-2008, 11:40 PM
During today’s press briefing, White House press secretary Dana Perino suggested the Bush administration would oppose any effort to extend jobless benefits — a stance the White House has taken before. She explained their position by saying, “we want people to be able to return to the workplace as soon as possible.” The suggestion was that extending benefits somehow prevents people from returning to work.

She concluded by saying that “the best way to help” the economy and unemployed people is for unemployed people to simply “get back to work.” Watch it:

It is both insulting and naive to suggest that people aren’t working because jobless benefits are somehow too generous and they’re too lazy to look for work again. People aren’t working because Bushonomics have hemorrhaged jobs and slashed the safety nets for laid off workers:

– The Department of Labor reported last week that the country shed 159,000 jobs in September, and the unemployment rate has increased to its highest level in five years.

– The Washington Post reported yesterday that “unemployment claims are at a seven-year high, and factory orders are sharply down. … Small businesses can’t get financing.”

– According to a July survey by the National Conference of State Legislatures, states are being forced to slash spending and cut jobs “in order to close a projected $40 billion shortfall in the current fiscal year,” more than triple the size of the previous year’s.

– State jobless funds are drying out. According to the National Employment Law Project, at least 11 states are facing financial challenges paying their jobless benefits.

The Bush administration’s refusal to extend a helping hand to those punished by the economy it created is nothing new: Last month, the White House threatened to veto a second stimulus package over opposition to an expansion of food stamps benefits.
http://thelastmovement.blogspot.com/2008/10/white-house-wont-extend-jobless.html

RSLudlum
10-17-2008, 11:50 PM
Well if that's the case, shouldn't unemployment taxes be halted for employers to free up funds to employ people looking for jobs....but I guess that's just too much logic for DC to handle :rolleyes:

bill50
10-17-2008, 11:58 PM
1+1=2 is too much logic for the government to handle.

bojo68
10-18-2008, 01:09 AM
It is both insulting and naive to suggest that people aren’t working because jobless benefits are somehow too generous and they’re too lazy to look for work again. People aren’t working because Bushonomics have hemorrhaged jobs and slashed the safety nets for laid off workers:

Well, it's certainly naive to assume that you think that you know why people aren't working. I'm out of work, and it wasn't caused by bush, it was caused by the people of this country failing to uphold the constitution, and I therefor chose not to play the game, starting 30 years ago...

SevenEyedJeff
10-18-2008, 01:38 AM
They should never have started the unemployment insurance program.

It does all the following bad things:

1) People don't have an incentive to save for themselves because the government will do it for them.

2) When good times are rolling, only the lazy people are on unemployment (or welfare). When bad times come, everyone needs government money, but too bad the government already spent it all, and is running low on funds.

3) If the people would have been allowed to save that money instead of paying into the unemployment fund, they would have the money in their own account saved up to help them in the time of need.

4) It increases costs not only to the employee, but the employer as well.

I'm sure you can think of a few more...

Grimnir Wotansvolk
10-18-2008, 02:10 AM
there's still plenty of work out there for people who are willing to take it on

fucking leeches.

Defining Obscene
10-18-2008, 02:43 AM
Some places are pretty hard pressed for work. I know someone who got laid off and there is nothing out there right now. He got a couple one-time jobs through connections, but thats not enough to pay the bills and feed the kids. He can't renew his unemployment because its gotten so bad where he is, everyone is trying to get it. I wish him the best. Hes an intelligent guy, and just calling him lazy is ludicrous. The system is breaking down, and many more people, myself included, will probably feel the wheels start falling off.

TastyWheat
10-18-2008, 12:13 PM
Well, I am outraged at the statement that people should "just find a job." It's not like these people were fired on purpose or they went on unemployment to take it easy for a while. Still, increasing benefits does not help the situation, it actually makes it worse. Job security in France is very good because of their unemployment benefits. If they fire someone it's a great cost to the employer so almost nobody gets fired. Conversely, since nobody is being fired there are less open positions to hire anyone. Even when times are good France has a higher unemployment rate than we do.

It's the government's fault, but no legislation is going to magically fix the problem right now. We have to have this painful correction to restore a solid foundation in the marketplace. If it takes 3 jobs to pay the bills then that's what you have to do.

Kludge
10-18-2008, 12:15 PM
Eliminate the minimum wage.

torchbearer
10-18-2008, 01:54 PM
there's still plenty of work out there for people who are willing to take it on

fucking leeches.

under-employment.
Would you work 60 hours a week if your paycheck wouldn't cover your bills?